Monday, November 18, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Nov. 18-24, 2013

Mon.-Nice morning at home with Michael and Susan. We ate breakfast and finished watching 'Voyage of the Dawn Treador.' I went out to town to have lunch with Lisa H. at Riverside. So thankful for her deep friendship. Went to P.O. and mailed black walnut extract to Diane H. She was trying to find some for her mother in law and I found it at Glennwood when I was up in Pa. Stopped in and visited Judy for a good hour or two and held the babies and sang the little Hertzler songs I wrote when I had babies. Went to Belk's and Walmart and headed for home. Made corn tortilla pizzas using sloppy jo mix, cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and black olives. Susan went to town today, too, for a few events including voice lessons, basketball practice, and volleyball banquet. Susan won the most improved player award and the team won the best sportsmanship award.

Tues.-Restless night. Then Gil called at 6. Lindsay's water broke at 1:00. Wasn't able to focus on much today. Did some wash and made some Thai food and when Catherine called at 2 needing some food to feed some men tomorrow, I jumped at the chance to do something somewhat mindless and made a big batch of chili and corn bread muffins. Susan took it along with her to practice and put it in one of the fridges at church. It's 6:30 in the eve. and Lindsay and baby are taking their time. As well they should. Why should you be born on one date when you're really supposed to be born in another. Yesterday, I got a package from Naomi in the mail. She sent me Love Spell from Victoria Secret because I had liked it when we were at the beach and she sent me a jewelry box. How fun to get packages in the mail! Time to hit the sack. I'm reading a missionary story about Dr. Carl Becker-Another Hand in Mine. So good. Susan's eye was injured tonight during basketball. One of the girls caught her finger nail in the white of Susan's eye. It bled and looks pretty rough. Hurts badly. One of the mother's gave her phosphorus tablets and arnica. Phosphorus stops the bleeding. I had her stop at Judy's and she gave us some recommendations.

Wed.-Big news of today. Gil and Lindsay's little boy was born C-section at 2:55 this afternoon. His name is Benjamin Philip. He weighs 8'11" and is 19 inches long. They called us last week and told us they were going to name him after Phil. And they told us why they wanted to do that. So honored. Thank you. I also decorated the house for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I put a cornucopia on the dining room table. It has silk flowers and leaves. I also put up a little Christmas tree I purchased last year for half off. It's about 3 feet talk and has white lights. I put it on the burgundy table right inside the door. I put on glass grapes and clusters of burgundy and gold fruit and a gold star on the top. Underneath, I put my mother's cloth Jordanian manger scene. And around the sides, I placed burgundy stars. We all really like it. 'It's so simple,' Susan said. 'I like it.' I will put a Christmas centerpiece on the table and I think that will be it for Christmas décor this year. I don't want to tempt Davi too much and I am not in the mood for a whole lot of stuff that has to be put away later. I wouldn't mind keeping the tree and the centerpiece that I found at Flower Warehouse on display all winter. Phil and Susan got up early today and went hunting at the club farm 2 plus hours away. They didn't get anything. Susan's eye looks worse. I couldn't find an available eye doctor for her in Farmville so I found one in Appomattox. Hopefully we'll get in tomorrow. I want to make sure it's okay for her to exert herself during tomorrow's practice and Friday's game. Philip and Susan went to youth group tonight. Michael and Sarah visited with us.

Thurs.-Headed out to St. Clair's Eye Care early and hit up the Drug Store-for Phosphorus and Arnica-, then to Walmart and Kroger and then to the eye doctor. He was concerned from first glance that her eye was cut but after thorough searching plus numbing and dilating her eye, he was assured that she would be fine but wants to see her again Monday and prescribed antibiotic drops for her eyes. While waiting for her prescription to be filled, we went to The Little Things in Life where she found a lacy top to wear with leggings and a jean jacket, a shirt for Michael, and a shirt for Philip. Then we bought ice cream cones because 'her eye hurt.' They were delicious. After putting groceries away and heating up chili we began to watch a British movie. She fell asleep and woke up 5 min. before leaving for basketball practice. They have an away game tomorrow. Michael didn't fly after all today because it was too cold. It's supposed to get down to 19 this week and Phil was busy after dark burying a water pipe so it wouldn't freeze.

Fri.-Made a chocolate marvel cake today with it's secret ingredients of coffee and baby food prunes for an event on Monday. This cake ripens with age.  Also made sugar cooky dough and icing to make cookies tomorrow with Kelly, Noah, and Gracie-my niece and her two children. Her husband, Armand, will be driving them early tomorrow morning and will be taking a nap, most likely while we make cookies. They'll be spending the day. Cleaned the house, did some wash, walked in the sun, watched an old Christmas movie tonight with the lights low, candles burning, baked potatoes in dish in hand, all alone. Beautiful day. Susan left early afternoon to run a few errands and meet her team at the school. Her eye is much better today. They have an away game tonight in Richmond. Michael, Sarah, and Jordan went to the Homeschool Play in Appomattox. Susan decided not to be in drama this semester due to her interest in basketball. Phil and Philip got to stop in with Mom and Dad this morning and then headed to Cabela's before going to the cabin in Renova. Today's highlight-talking with Lindsay on the phone. She's still in the hospital and will go home tomorrow. It was interesting to hear her story and to understand why Gil said that it was scary there for awhile. Susan said today that she couldn't get anything done while Lindsay was in labor. 'It was like I was in labor, too,' she said. I felt the same way. He's such a beautiful little guy. And I love his name. And I love his mom and dad and two big sisters. I can't wait to hold him in my arms.

Sat.-My niece, Kelly, and her husband, Armand, and their two children, Noah-5, and Gracie-2, came down from Pa and spent the day with us. They are on their way to spend a week at her mother's on an island. First we had a big southern breakfast-scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, sausage, biscuits, and sausage gravy. Then Michael took us on a Polaris ride to the cottage and river where we threw stones. Armand is a good stone skipper. Then we made cut out sugar cookies and baked and decorated them. Freeman stopped in and we went over to see his house. It was nice to see PR there. He's painting their house. Alli joined us there and we all came back to the house for pizza. They left soon after 4 I think to head south. I read on face book that the kids slept for a few hours and they had to wake them up for dinner. Susan went to be with Julie before the homeschool play and stayed to watch and visit afterwards. Michael and I watched Julia and Julie. Now I am inspired to write and cook and cook and right. Maybe I should try to document some of my homemade recipes. But they are never the same and I never measure anything. I guess I could use 'a shake of this' and a 'pinch of that' and let the cook determine the ultimate outcome.

Sun.-Wonderful Worship at church focused on Jesus. Good word about seeking Jesus like Simeon sought Him and waited for Him in the temple. And great teaching on gratitude. Hung around and talked with people after church and then went to Hong Kong for Cashew Chicken with Katherine. Susan hung out with the Heltons. Michael and Jordan had church here because they had some trouble with the cows and would have gotten to church rather late. Watched one of 'The Truth Project' teachings. On the weather news, it looks like Phil and Philip may be getting some snow up there in Clinton County. Read some more of the book about the Masts and watched a Monk with Jordan, Sarah, and Michael. Had some popcorn. Also watched The Tourist. Susan got home around 8 and watched the last little bit.

No comments: