Monday, January 20, 2014

Hertzler Doings~Jan. 20-26, 2014

Mon.-Alli and I cleaned their new house today. Worked from 9-ish to 4-ish with lunch break. Their house is so beautiful and I am so happy for them. I said, "I love your kitchen," and she said, "You'll have to come cook in it." Made some chicken corn noodle soup. Watched Monk with Susan and Phil in eve. Philip is on his way home from Pa. Michael went to Liberty. I've been studying about women in ministry and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. It's so cool to read how Paul gave greetings to women pastors and leaders in the early church. It's wonderful to know that the Holy Spirit gave gifts to both men and women. Mary, the mother of Jesus, received the baptism of the Spirit in the upper room. John said that Jesus would baptize with fire and with the Holy Spirit. Just as Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit to serve others and minister, so do we also need the anointing of the Holy Spirit to serve others and minister. His Holy Spirit was given in measure in the OT for specific acts but the Holy Spirit in the NT was given so we could live and move and have our being in Him.

Tues.-Took a cooler and a bag of food over to Gina's that her mom sent home from Pa with Philip and had a nice visit with her. Susan studied Chemistry. All of the guys and Tommy, Jimmy, and David, were over cleaning up at HValley. We made three packs of scrapple for lunch for them and I made some homemade syrup. Michael didn't go to Liberty because of the weather forecast and because he would have been flying. It started to snow around 3. Probably got 1/2 inch. Blowing. At least a dozen cardinals were having a party around the two feeders. We took some pics of them through the door window. I cleaned up our bathroom and my desk and started working in another area of our bedroom. Brought in boxes to organize things.  Phil is setting up a woodstove in the garage due to 55 gallon paint drums that shouldn't freeze. Supposed to be 4 degrees tonight. We'll have to keep the water running. Found out recently that Karalee is expecting in Sept. Wahoo! Lots of babies. It's funny to think of Linda being a Grandma. We'll rock our grandbabies together next Christmas. Won't that be fun. And now the little boys will have younger playmates and thus another generation of Hertzler's grows up together.

Wed.-Went to Baine's with Lisa H. Always good with my DDF. Susan made supper-chicken over salad. I got groceries while out with Lisa. Michael and Susan played Monopoly after supper and later, Susan and I watched, "Sweet Home Alabama."

Thurs.-Finished packing. Family gathered together for a blessing from Phil and then he and I left to go to CT to see Gil and Lindsay, Emma and Adi, and little new baby, Ben-Philip. We got a motel in Scranton after traveling 8 hours. Phil and I talked with Mark N. on the way. Drove through snow. So cold.

Fri.-Arrived at the Bantons around noon and joined them for lunch. It was zero there and they had a hard time getting the house to warm up. Walls are not insulated and they heat with a pellet stove. But they all seem acclimated to the colder climate. Phil and I dressed in layers. I played Barbies with the girls upstairs and read a book to Adi. We snuggled as much as possible the entire weekend. I recorded Emma singing "Silent Night" on my camera. She has an angelic voice and much of her time is spent drawing. We made soup for supper-creamy potato and hamburger cheese. Both so good. After supper we went to Cabela's and found several bargains in the bargain center (insulated camouflage coveralls) and Phil delighted in getting the little girls two Cabela sweat shirts each that will keep them in the right size for the next 3 years. We slept in Gil and Lindsay's comfortable bed with lots of covers on. Slept the best I have for a long time. Lindsay slept in Adi's bed. Adi slept on the floor and Gil slept on the sofa.

Sat.-Phil made scrapple and eggs for breakfast. The girls and I made a colorful experiment using baking soda and vinegar. Then I made them pink Kool-aid playdough which kept them occupied for a long time. We taught Gil and Lindsay how to play Chicken foot Dominoes. (Meanwhile, back at home, the pipes froze. And Susan spun out on some ice.(on Thurs.) And Philip just missed killing a cousin who couldn't stop on ice and skidded right out in front of him. And his very pregnant pig disappeared.)We went to a cool little pizza shop for some incredible pizza and then to the Dairy Bar. I had coconut and chocolate ice cream. We also got to see the university. I love that now I can picture where things are in their town and in their house. Lindsay made a London Broil, rice, green beans, herbed butter, and warm bread for supper. Then we had our Sabbath blessing. We went around and said something we were thankful about each person. I had to cry. Then we played a Disney version of Apples to Apples. Emma won with flying colors. I made too much popcorn and we watched 'How It's Made.' Lindsay and I tried to stay awake with the fellows to watch Sherlock but we were too tired and hit the sack.

Sun.-Lindsay made Harvest Steel Cut Oats for breakfast with raisins. So good. Every morning we had Gil's good coffee. Ben-Philip loves me and I'm so glad we stayed longer than just a few hours because the first day he wanted nothing to do with me. But by the next day he was smiling at me and sticking out his tongue when I showed him how. Lindsay said, "He's always had an overactive tongue but he's never stuck it out like this on command before." I asked Adi, "When you are 16 and I am 65, will you still snuggle with me?" "Yes," she happily nodded. She has quite a fashion sense and let me know several times that I needed to improve my appearance. She also communicated with me that I needed to sleep with her stuffed bear so she would smell like me. Annie, her bear, is named after me. We left their place around 8:30 in the morning. It was 24 degrees-a real heat wave, and the house was warming up nicely. It was really hard to leave them and their dear sweet house and their unconditional love that always sees the best in us. Phil caught up with several friends on the phone on the way home. Near Chambersburg, we pulled off and got a car wash and when we got back on 81, we saw brake lights and emergency lights and managed to get off the on ramp and travelled on 11 for several exits. After that, there was very little traffic on 81. We googled for info on line and found that a woman had parked her car on the side of the road and walked right in front of a tractor trailer. She was hit by that one but not seriously injured enough to keep her from walking in front of another one. I figured God spared us some awful things and that he also wants us to pray for Dorothy B. She is in her 40's. Jesus, help her, wherever she is, whatever is going on. Comfort and help her. We got home around 7 and were able to get the car unloaded with Susan's help. It's good to be home again. But it was sure good to be with our family in CT. Oh-at one time, Gil was on the phone with someone and he talked with him for awhile and then said, "We have family here so I'm going to have to go now." Warmed my heart. Lindsay and I snuck in private conversations whenever we could and I miss her so much. But I am thankful that our friendship is not just for a season.

No comments: