Friday, October 21, 2011

Little Dog Worship

One of my least favorite stories about Jesus is also one of my most favorite. (Matt. 15:21)

Remember when the Canaanite woman came to Jesus, saying,
"Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David. My daughter is severely demon-possessed."

And Jesus just plain ignored her.
The disciples urged Him to send her away because the way she kept crying after them
was getting on their last nerve.

So Jesus answered her and said something like, "I didn't come to earth to help you.
I just came to help the Children of Israel-not a Canaanite like you. (See notes at end.)

But then she came and worshiped Him, saying,---
She worshiped Him with a request.
Did she bow down?
Probably. I would have.
But she said, somehow, worshipfully,
"LORD, help me!"

Isn't it a thrill to realize that worship is acknowledging
that He is the LORD who can help me now?!

That asking Him to help me and proclaiming His Lordship
is indeed 'Worship.'

My need. His strength.
His strength. My need.
All in the same sentence as 'worship.'

But Jesus answered her saying, "I really shouldn't be giving
the Children of Israel's bread to the little dogs."

And she said, "That's true, but even little dogs eat the crumbs
that fall from their Master's table."

Isn't she something?
She didn't try to pretend that she was anything other
than a little dog.
She knew that a crumb from Jesus' hand would be enough
to heal her daughter.

Jesus thought she was something too.

"O Woman," He said. "Great is your faith.
Let it be as you desire."

And her daughter was healed even as He spoke.

Worship with persistent personal request moved Jesus outside
of His ministry box in order to honor her great faith.

Perhaps it is when we have great need,
or great love for someone in great need,
and merge that need with our great faith
in Someone who can meet that need-
perhaps, that is when we truly worship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes from The New Spirit Filled Life Bible:
"The restriction on His mission did not involve racial exclusivism, but was strictly a matter of His limitations as a person and distinct priorities set by the Father. In God's plan the gospel must first be offered to the Old Covenant people, because of their calling and the responsibilities it entailed. The gathering of Israel must precede and prepare for the gathering of Gentiles (Rom 1:16).

No comments: