Friday, August 17, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Aug. 13-19, 2012

Mon.-Great Day with Michael and Susan. Michael made me breakfast. Scrambled eggs mixed up with sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Took a walk before it got too hot outside. Finally figured out this exercise schedule. Stretch a little, then walk, then stretch some more. Every other day. On the off days, stretch, and do strength and core exercises. Sundays, just stretch. Go to church. Rest. And eat popcorn. Made a huge 7 layer type salad with a mix of sprouts from seeds I sprouted using quart jars and nylon stockings and rubber bands. Alfalfa, clover, radish, broccoli, and mung bean. Added turkey burger and skipped the cheese since I didn't have any. Went out in the eve. to La Parota to celebrate LL's birthday with the some of the other Steel Magnolia ladies. One of them moved to Conn. so we just pretend that she's there. At least, I do. We all chipped in to buy LL a pot. A cooking pot. A very big cooking pot. She asked, "Is that really what's in there?"(The box.) She thought it might be full of unmentionables, or something else a bit more risky than a pot. But it was what it was. A big cooking pot to make lots of soup or to make a huge fondue using whole loaves of french bread for dipping.
I guess we're all getting older. Around 9:35, I asked the waitress, "When do you close?" She said, with a beautiful Spanish accent, "We are closed already." We jumped up and went outside, talking until the lights went out and the door was locked. True friendship is being with someone through the different seasons of life. I am thankful for these friends. I am thankful for Blessing upon Blessing and Joy upon Joy. I am thankful for the love in our home.

Tues.-"Happy Anniversary," said Phil in my ear, early this morning before he got out of bed. I made an exclamation. "Did I remember before you did?" he asked. Took a walk, baked bread, made homemade carrot cake, did some wash, took a nap, tidied house, brought in Mother's Rubbermaid art container holding her art supplies and painting dreams. Perhaps that is why I picture her painting now, with Jesus lounging beside her, on the green hills of Paradise. She gave up her dreams of painting and made our meals into works of art and everything she touched looked beautiful. Time would not allow her to paint but she clipped out pieces of art work she wanted to copy and these are mine now, just as I have been given her folder with clippings of poetry she loved. I feel like I am holding her dreams in little envelopes. And now, she is living in that wide and open place, free from restriction, and she is living in the beauty that she dreamed of painting. And that beauty far exceeds what she could begin to dream of here on earth.

Wed.-Cleaned up my desk today. Major feat. Arranged some of Mother's things in the living room. Ollie, our turkey, followed Phil into our house today. Angel followed Ollie and then, Buddy, the shiatsu, came in after them. Ollie looked around curiously but got nervous when Buddy came too near. Ollie flew around and hit some precious things and pooped on the sofa. He found his way out the door and the dogs followed. Phil said, "You are a brave woman." I took some pictures of all three animals in the house. Later, Phil was sitting outside working on his Cleansing Stream homework. He called me to come out and see the clouds. I took some pictures of them and then left the camera on the table for him. He reads his Bible outside while he waits for Ollie to roost. Ollie won't roost in the tree unless Phil stays with him. Phil said, "Thanks for leaving your camera out here for me. Ollie jumped up on my lap and I took some pictures of him reading my Bible." Later, Steve called. He was happy. His grandson, Austin, had shot a bear for crop damage. He wanted Phil to come over and help him butcher. Freeman and Phil went over and they brought most of the meat back. It's in the large fridge now, waiting until they have time to butcher him better.

Thurs.-Susan and I went out to Appomattox today. I got a hair cut. Susan went to the library and I went to the Babcock House to have lunch with Marcie. We met Susan back at Country Charm for ice cream cones. Bl. Matt was in the area and texted Susan. "I think I just saw you." He met us on the porch at CC and had a little visit. Susan and I went to the art supply store to get tubes of watercolor and brushes to go along with our art course. The lady asked us who was teaching us and we said that we were using a book. Said we'd bring in our artwork to her for her to see. Maybe she'll want to sell the book that taught us. Also went to Walmart and Kroger and finally got back home after 4. Good thing I bought Kroger pizza's for supper. Phil and Philip got haircuts from Jennifer at 6. Three Hertzler's in one day! She puts up with us. Later, I finished reading the book I started yesterday-"Growing up Amish" by Ira Wagler. It was gripping. I couldn't put it down. I turned into a prune reading it in the bathtub. I've asked Lindsay to put his blog on my side bar. He lives in Lancaster County now and I might have to stop in to get his signature. His blog site is www.irawagler.com. I checked into it and it was like his book. I couldn't put it down.

Fri.-Washed, juiced a big pile of fruits and vegetables, ate a lovely lunch Susan made-salmon, salad, and cottage cheese; made a beef stew in the crock pot; caught up on communications via email and face book and blog, and got ready to go to a Hertzler party in the eve. Oh, I walked to my cottage in the morning. Saw coyote doodoo on the path. We heard them last night. Woke us up. Angel's frantic barking made me go into a sweat and I had a hard time going back to sleep. Thought it was another fire. Phil said he understood. Coyotes wailing in our ears are way too close for comfort. My cottage was upset that I hadn't been there sooner. So many cobwebs to sweep up. But it's still peaceful and faithful. And God is still there. He's everywhere, of course, but I don't always think of that. But when I enter that quiet little house, I know that He has made it into a holy chapel, and I am thankful and I make promises to come back soon.
Bethany's 19th birthday party was great. Lots of teenagers and older friends everywhere. Helen kept making pizza and there were salads and desserts and plenty of great conversation. I showed Freeman off to Peter and Ivona and had him talk in his different accents and imitations. He used to play with bubbles in the tub and have the different bubbles play the parts of different people. I think I've said that before but here it is again. Philip's excited about selling his truck and getting another one. Jenny came home with us for the night and she's going to help Susan do some work tomorrow until the next party in the afternoon at the Simpsons. Phil had to run out to Farmville to pick up some glass. He'll be home before long.

Sat.-Early morning sight of Freeman, Philip, and Phil dressed up in camouflage. Hunting coyotes. Saw one but didn't get a shot. A lone cow insists on getting to the grass on the other side of the fence. She could be surrounded by coyotes much easier than the cows who stick together. Jenny had spent the night and she and Susan 'wrapped' up some things around here before heading next door to clean the house from top to bottom. Later, they made brownies and watched the new Three Stooges Movie. Phil and I took them to D. Simpsons youth party in the eve where Jenny connected with her parents. Earlier in the day, Phil put in more stable shelving in my white cabinet and it freed up some space in the corner cupboard. Erin West called from London and Phil, Philip, and I took turns talking to her. We heard of her exciting plans for the fall. I got the spice cupboard all neatly organized while talking with her. Later, I cut out a housecoat and sewed about half of it. Mickey, my neighbor, had given me a lot of material and I pulled out a piece to use.
I offered Phil a drink of juicer juice and we both forced down a pint. It was awful. I think it was the cabbage, broccoli, and mung bean sprouts that made me shudder. The carrots, beets, pears, celery-that's pretty good. I think I'll stick with that kind of combination in the future or I will completely turn myself off from juicing forever. I picked up DDF's manuscript today and can't wait to finish it. Reminds me of Frank Peretti's books.

Sunday-Met with the Cleansing Stream group during Sunday School. Pastor Jerry spoke on the courage of Daniel. I think what I personally gained was this. Daniel persevered through several administrations. He was faithful to God and steadfast in character. He was not moved by who the leaders were. He was moved by God. In our church, we are experiencing administrative change. Are we going to be faithful to man, to fear, to our culture, or to God and His people? Will we persevere through the hard times and see this through to the other side? "Will we have the courage to go forward no matter what it takes?"
I want to say this, too. There really is a balm in Gilead. And it is comforting my soul in the midst of all the change and upheaval. God is here and He will never leave us or forsake us. And the shaking is for a mighty purpose. It will bring us to our foundation. It will shake off what is dead to make room for the new. And we must persevere and be courageous and be part of the solution. We must not evacuate in time of crisis. Unless God says 'Move', we will not move. And now is our opportunity to get to know one another. Now is the time for fellowship and friendship and for the using of gifts for service sake. Now is the time to love God and each other more deeply than we have ever loved before. "Do you love me," He asks. "Oh, Yes, Lord, we love you." "Then," says He, "Feed my sheep." We can't very well feed His sheep while we are saving our own hide. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep. Jesus looked into the cup and saw His own blood there and giving thanks for the cup, He served it to His friends. Oh, God. Help me love like you love.
We had a relaxing afternoon. Philip went out to Liberty with a friend and played volleyball and visited Michael. Phil, Susan, and I read, slept, watched Monk, and ate popcorn. Phil was outside reading. Ollie jumped up onto his shoulders and began showering him with all kinds of pecking love. He pecked his glasses and his neck and his hair. He spread his wings and oiled his feathers, covering Phil's face in the process. He flaunted his adoration of Phil right in front of Angel and it was too much for her. She grabbed her piece of wood and tried to get Phil to throw it to her. He did and she went and got it and flopped down at his feet with a sigh. Meanwhile, I was just waiting for Ollie to grace the front of Phil's black plaid shirt with a soft warm plop but he was too polite and jumped down and decorated my front porch instead.
Janelle and Micah got back from their trip to the beach and they visited awhile before taking an ecstatic Buddy back home with them.
I love Sundays. I love the going to church and the coming back home. I love the afternoon and the evening. Most of all, I love the lack of a list. I make no lists on Sundays.

No comments: