Thursday, June 13, 2013

But Jesus Called Them to Himself

The disciples were being prideful.
They were jostling for position.
They wanted the highest seat.
They were angry at those who asked for it outright.
Read about it in Matthew 20:20-28.

And what did Jesus do?
He called them to Himself.
He called them to Himself.

He didn't give them the cold shoulder.
He didn't slam cupboard doors.
He didn't shame or blame them.
He called them to Himself.

And He said something like,
"You are different from the world.
If you want to be great,
then be a servant.
If you want to be first,
then be a slave.
I didn't come to be served;
I came to serve
and give my life as a ransom for many.
Follow my example;
not the example of this world."

And they did follow His example.
And they did die and suffer for Him.

I dislike the feeling of being a slave.
I don't like when someone orders me around.
But if I look for ways to serve,
I stop feeling misused.

If I look for ways to serve,
I find grace for the difficult person
who wants to tell me what to do.

There is an end to my human ability to serve
and to lay down my life.
But there is no end to God's ability
to serve and lay down His life.

I want to stop thinking about my limitations.
I want to think more about God's lack of limitations.
I want to focus on His endless grace.

I am so thankful that when I get it wrong,
He calls me to Himself
and helps me learn of Him.

No comments: