Monday, July 22, 2013

Hertzler Doings~July 22-28, 2013

Mon.-Susan took off for King's Dominion around 8 this morning. She went to Jenny's and Hannah C's dad, Mike, took the three of them plus Claire and Jody to KD and is picking them up later. They met up with some other friends out there and are having a happy dad. Alli came over around 8 and we started making bread and butter pickles. She finished them on her own (8qt) and also canned 12 quart of their own homegrown potatoes. I'm proud of her. Michael studied all day. I went to Farmville around noon and went to Bailey's with my trunk full of corn where I met up with some who had responded to my face book message. My car was inspected without a hitch but they said something about the tie-rod becoming frayed and we decided to get it fixed and they had the part and the time to do it. I had lunch at Riverside while waiting for the inspection and when we decided to fix it, Dianna came and picked me up and we went to Starbucks to get a hot/cold caramel coffee and visited at 90 mph. She took me to Judy's where I relaxed and at Sweet Shop chocolates and smiled at Dane. I saw the news for the first time in ages as well. Judy and I talked uninterrupted for a good hour which was a real gift. Laurel came and picked me up and took me back to Bailey's and I headed for Walmart and saw Julie and Kathy and I was so glad Julie was unhurt and alive after Sat.'s accident and had to hug her a couple of times. Life. Never take it for granted. I am still overwhelmed from Sunday's worship service from the rhema word that God makes all things new. It directs my prayers and praise about everything. I feel new. Shopped a bit and came home and Alli was still here, bless her heart. I told her I'd take out the jars from the pressure cooker and she was glad to head home. She had cleaned up and the house looked nice. I put groceries away, tried to make phone calls but the phone wasn't working, walked around with Lucy, picked some tomatoes, ate a creamscicle, collected mugs from the boy's bathroom, drew a bathtub full of water, and played sleuth on face book. Phil worked all day and came home and mowed hay and picked corn. It's dark now and he is still out there. Lord, let him know you're with him, joying in the harvest of corn and and souls.

Tues.-Busy day with lots of weed whacking going on (Susan), tomato picking, pulling weeds, and I forget what else!(Not sure what happened to Wed.)

Thurs.-Made some pizza sauce with lots of little tomatoes pureed in my nutribullet along with onions, peppers, garlic, and basil. Poured each mixture into a large crockpot. Turned it on high and kept lid off and cooked it down while I cleaned the house, did some washing and packing, and partied at Ron and Kathy's with some dear old friends. Dave and Krista Stoltzfus, who are missionary friends in Hong Kong, visited with some of the Hopewell Gang Locals over supper and then later, showed a video and shared about their work. It was a lovely evening and it was great to see the Martins, Gridleys, Stoltzfus's and Rancks. We always say that we should get together more often. It is so relaxing and easy. Homemade ice cream was incredible. Came home and canned 5 pints of pizza sauce and got ready for breakfast tomorrow with David and Krista, Conrad, Anthony, and Seth. They are excited about having homemade scrapple. D said that he doesn't think his boys have ever had it. We'll have homemade sausage and homemade eggs as well.

Fri.-Breakfast with Dave and Krista, Conrad, Anthony, and Seth. They visited Philip's pigs after breakfast to thank them for the sausage and scrapple. Walker Covington's funeral was at 11 at Walker's Presbyterian. Washed, cleaned, packed, and left at 5. Spent the night at a pet motel in Beckley. Lucy restless. Susan took her into bathroom and confined her until she fell asleep and then carried her back into the main room.

Sat.-Stopped at a Walmart in Beckley. Biggest and best one I've ever seen. A lot of good economy in the area with the coal mines. Walked into the men's bathroom and things didn't look quite right and I made an embarrassed beeline out the door just as a young man was going in. 'Wrong door?' he queried with a smile. Later, he found us in the parking lot and made friends with Lucy while we put her cage together. He has several boxers at home. We hurriedly moved things around because it began to rain huge drops. Stopped at Sheetz for breakfast coffee and fruit. Later, at a rest stop, we visited with two couples who owned two cherry red corvettes. They had been at a corvette convention and were headed back to Chicago. They made friends with us through Lucy. Later, we passed them, and the women were driving the cars. Been having trouble with my cell phone. Can't make or receive calls. They gave my number to someone else who has been receiving my calls. New programming crashed their system. Got to Makenzie's by noon. Couldn't stop crying when I saw her. She's 16. Phil and I went out later to have the Pasquali experience of Ranch Cheese Fries. We brought several orders back to the K's. Phil took a nap and I helped get ready for her party that evening. Highlight was singing with Phil, Tim, and Sam playing the guitar. Mimi, Kathy, and I, sang with them and they regaled us with their early years as travelling musicians and the days when they were the starting band for Alan Jackson. Slept overnight in the basement.

Sun.-On our way by 8:30. Lucy didn't know what to think as we pulled away. Susan is spending the week and I'll pick meet her halfway in a few days. Read from a book about Psalm 23 to Phil as he drove. We talked about worship and what it the word 'new' may mean in light of worship, relationships, and life. Stopped at Cabela's in Charleston and bought a big sieve stirrer for making scrapple. Also bought a queen sized camouflage comforter set for half price and a camouflage jacket for me. We used cabela points and with the great sales, we hardly paid a thing. Stopped at Sam's Club for a pizza lunch. Traveled until Beckley where we visited the Tamarack Artisan Center/Local crafts, etc. Were happy to get home. Phil picked corn and we had a supper while we finished the last tenth of The Sting. We've been trying to see the end of it for over a week. Michael left today to go with Sarah's family for a week of vacation down south. Philip was at Holliday Lake with friends. Missing my kiddos. Heard that church was great and that Freeman was hysterical-playing the part of Pastor Alvin for his farewell roast. Saw pictures and didn't even know it was him.

No comments: