Monday, August 5, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Aug.5-11, 2013

Mon.-It's nice to have both Susan and Michael home this week. Michael had a great vacation with the Warren's. He brought us gifts. A boxer dog wallet for Susan, a mug for Phil, and a blueberry muffin candle for me. I'm not sure what Philip got but I know he got something. Julie had spent the night and her mom and Mike, a friend of theirs, came to pick her up in the morning. First we picked corn to send with them and Kathy wrote me a check equaling to a dollar per ear. We figured out some exchange value of other things I had on hand-tomatoes, peaches, and potatoes-plus I will bring her more corn. Susan went out to Farmville later in the day to run some errands. She went shopping at Food Lion, Walmart, and Miller's. I gave her my card and she brought back the receipts. I'm thankful she enjoys grocery shopping. Michael ordered some books for school and picked corn for Ray and Ruth and did some other things on the farm. I made 5 quarts of salsa, peach crisp, and egg salad. Susan made homemade mac and cheese and mashed cauliflower with spinach which was out of this world. We had a lot for supper. Some other friends-James, David, and John-came by later for corn. I found a recipe for dishwasher soap tablets. And homemade Shout. The guys and I worked on the man cave for a bit today. Separately from each other. Our ideas of clean are just not the same. Debra and Bradley will be spending most of this week here and I am putting up beds for them over there amongst all the dead heads gracing the walls. I put a good smelling scent that is supposed to last for 30 days over there. You can smell it when you walk by it and that's about it.

Tues.-Good catch up conversations with Ginger and Lindsay on my cell phone. And Yay! Richard from Verizon came and fixed our phones! Been without for at least 2 weeks. I spent several hours cleaning the man cave today, getting it ready for Debra and Brads. Michael had class this morning at Liberty. Susan mowed Happy Valley. Made two chickens, homemade mayonnaise, homemade potato salad using that mayonnaise, fresh corn fritters, and fresh peach fritters. Michael and Susan helped. Phil and Freeman went over house plans. Philip was working at Guilds and came home soaked. He played some cards with Susan while he ate supper and then she helped him with his pigs. There were no eggs in the chicken house today but there was a big black snake. Mike to the rescue. Sold 100 ears to Reggie and Liz. They picked it up on their way to ball.

Wed.-Busy day cleaning house, etc. Debra and Bradley arrived after five. Debra was fine with the man cave. She had never seen it before. She was thinking we would be putting her in the boys bedroom. So we were checking into Janelle's extra basement bedroom availability. She will be surrounded with all kinds of dead heads and skins on the walls. But she doesn't mind. Brads will be with her. We just played chicken foot for a good hour. Fun. Bradley won. Looking forward to spending the rest of this week with them. Caught up with Judy on the phone this morning. It's so nice to have a phone again, except for all those telemarketing calls today. Freeman and Alli's third anniversary is today. I missed it! And she was here. Happy Beloved Anniversary to you both!

Thurs/-Relaxing morning at home, then to Farmville for the afternoon. Went to Sweet Frog for lunch, then to the Sweet Shop. Brads and Susan picked out some candy for the movies. Dropped them off at Sun Chase and then Deb and I went to the Greenfront's discount building. After much deliberation on colors of rugs for Deb and a possible sofa, I came home with two rugs for the man cave and a rug for our bedroom which matches 'The Last Supper' and my new bed cover. Burgundy's and golds. Took Debra to the fabric store and picked up the kids and then went back to get her. We also went to Goodwill where we found several nice things, then to Walmart where we bought pizza for supper. Came home and Debra made a tabbouleh type salad using quinoa, cucs, tomatoes, mint, basil, cilantro, and raspberry balsamic dressing. She also sliced tomatoes, put slices of mozzarella on top, and drizzled them with the same dressing. Delicious. I made lots of popcorn and the Spiggles came to pick up 200 ears of corn which Michael, Susan, and Brads had just picked, Debra measured her vehicle, and Michael did the cows, Phil came home, grabbed a bite to eat and headed out to Steve Maj's. Philip took care of pigs and finally, around 7:30, we settled down for a movie night-International Treasure 1. Love that movie! Debra and Brads headed over to the mancave and we all headed to our beds. (Janelle W. now married, had her baby, lives in Mexico. I want to go see her and said so on face book. 'Oh, Aunt Annette. Please do.' My heart longs to go see her as if she is one of my own.)

Fri.-Went to the Amish Produce auction in Pamplin. Bought two boxes of green peppers, a box of cucs, and a box of green beans. Susan took Bradley home for the afternoon while Debra and I headed to Farmville to complete our shopping. We did complete it and I can't wait to see the finished project in Debra's sun room. Came back home and made some supper and turned around and went back out to Farmville for ball. It was great to see some old ball friends out there. Alan and Anita Wissinger were there with two of their girls visiting Jay and Bonnie. Uncle Ed and Aunt Rhoda were there too. Susan treated us to chocolate dipped McD's ice cream cones on the way home. The worst thing about the eve. was the abundance of mosquitoes. They were after Philip and I. The best thing about the eve. was getting to hold baby Gideon again. He seemed to remember me and gave me sucking kisses on my chin.

Sat.-Debra and I canned 6 quarts of tomato juice and 7 quarts of sweet pepper strips this morning. She vacuumed the house for me too. Philip, Susan, and Brads went swimming in the river in the afternoon and Michael had some time with Bradley too. Tom and Tommy were over here working for part of the day. In the eve. we went to New Life to see the Critter County Shakespeare play. It was really funny. Lynney's breakdown, Steve and Scotty's whacking each other harder and harder in the chest, Dianna's 'smoochin' behind the barn until her false teeth were numb', Dee's just being there on stage, etc. were just some of the funniest parts for me. Tommy was in the house when we got home and Bradley went home with him overnight to go to church with them in the morning. I am thankful that I got to see Sarah W. tonight. It's been awhile since I've seen her. I am thankful that Debra completely lost it over Lynney and the squirrel. I am thankful that our purses covered the air conditioning vent right there beside my feet in the VE room.

Sun.-Made blueberry/banana baked oatmeal for breakfast. Went to church and it was good. Said good bye to Brads and Debra in the parking lot. Susan had gone to Calvary in order to be able to bring Bradley back to New Life to meet his mother. She went out to Chinese with Michael and Jordan. Philip went to Lapps for lunch. Phil and I came home and ate sweet corn and tuna salad made from the tuna I had canned from their catch. We actually watched an episode or two of Bonanza. Susan came home and sat down with us and asked, "What IS this?" Later, she and I both took naps and then Phil and I went for a drive to exchange milk/corn with a neighbor. It's thundering and raining and the sun is shining. It's a little after 6 and I am thinking of hitting the sack and sleeping for 12 hours. I'm unusually tired. Instead, Susan and I watched Miss Congeniality. I love my Susan.

No comments: