Friday, December 26, 2014

Thailand Through My Lens

I took many photos these past weeks of the beautiful foliage and people of Thailand.
Many times, when I stood still, focusing my lens on the lovely flowers or smiling children,
a local person would come up behind me and look to see what I was seeing.
I saw 'beautiful' where they saw 'ordinary.'

I have a friend who does that.
She looks at people and sees the lovely,
and the rest of us, who saw only 'ordinary' before,
look through her lens and see beauty also.

I am so thankful for the eyes of God in her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hardest part of our trip was when our hosts pulled off to the side of the road
at an obscure place in an obscure town
and Phil got out and stood on the ground
near where the place his brother John died.
Near where the place his blood was spilt.

And I thought that this is what we do when we love God.
We stand near the place where His Son died.
Near where the place His blood was spilt.
Near the cross.
Jesus keep me there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We visited several villages while we were in Thailand.
We met with the believers there.
We sat on the floor cross-legged and stiff
and heard about their memories of John and what he did for them.
We heard their testimonies and prayed for their struggles.

One old man from the village asked for prayer.
He said, "I do not yet believe in God, but I want to."

I wanted to crawl over next to him
and say, "Me too. Pray for me.
I do not yet believe in God, but I want to."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One day we climbed up and down mountains for several miles
to see a cave. Its' beauty was breath-taking.
Several times during the climb I thought my lungs would burst.
My knees are still screaming protest to the strain I put on them.

On the way down, we came upon other weary climbers.
We said to them, 'You're almost there!'
'Really?', they panted hopefully.
'Yes, and it is worth the climb.
Don't give up. It's so beautiful.'
'Thank you,' they gasped.

I wanted to weep.
Because this is life, you know.

Many a weary pilgrim would have continued on their journey
towards God if only someone had said to them,
'You're almost there. It's going to be worth it.
Keep on going. Finish well.'

The journey is hard but we're almost home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: