Monday, March 23, 2015

Hertzler Doings~March 23-29, 2015

Mon.-Caught up on wash and vacuuming. Rested. Dizzy. Watched a movie with Susan and Michael. Susan had basketball pictures this morning and then went to the gym this eve. Michael used the internet at a friends. He had 13 hours of sleep last night which helped him catch up. Phil went with the guys to Richmond and had a pretty good day. Philip's working on his house this eve. I made brussel sprouts. I cleaned them, halved them, and added them to half cooked pieces of bacon in the oven along with mushrooms. Baked at 400 until edible. Delicious. Also made homemade peanut butter cup bars. So healthy that they almost don't taste good.

Tues.-Feeling great. Caught up with house, wash, and Alli and Nathan! Met with Jenny Murphy before homeschool grad meeting at Faith Bible. I like her so much. She never worries about anything and she's so calm, funny, and pro-Susan, and pro-her family. Meeting went well. Left early and went to Lynchburg. Spent the night with Betty G. Kelly and her friends came over for eve to watch a show. Betty made them cookies. Betty has chocolate everywhere and she said, "Help yourself," so I did. Spent the night.

Wed.-Betty woke me up at 4:30 and we were at Lynchburg General Hospital by 5:30 checking her in for gall bladder surgery. I cannot say enough good about that hospital. Everyone was kind and competent, from the guy who met us at the door and parked my car, to the office people, nurses, surgeon, cafeteria people, etc. I love hospitals. I am not sure why. I'd like to work there. I'd like to be in the surgery. I'd like to serve in the cafeteria. I'd like to be a Chaplain and wait with people and be there 'holding space' for them. The doctor met with me after her surgery and I asked him all kinds of questions and then he asked me if I had any questions and I asked, "Can I have your cell phone number?" I was joking but we both knew I was serious and so he answered me by telling me how to contact the hospital, etc. and that they could contact him, etc.  We were in her recovery room for awhile and then got settled at home after dropping pain med prescription off at Walmart. She slept and I dozed and neighbors brought flowers, apple bread, and a fed-ex guy brought a package with Kelly's wallet in it sent to her from a friend. We had a good day. A great time. And I loved it because I love Betty but I also loved it and am wondering about doing it as a job. Being a companion. Picking someone up and taking them to the hospital and bringing them back to their house and taking care of them for 24 hours. Stopped at Fresh Foods on the way home. Susan had the house cleaned and the sink shining. Wow.

Thurs.-Slept until 9:30. Catching up with wash, emails, blogging, etc. Phil and Philip made a quick run to Richmond to look at a house with water damage. Susan went to the gym and to a sports massage. Michael must be at school. Did my exercises outside on the porch to get some Vitamin D. Took a run/walk and cleaned up the yard and pulled some weeds in the flower garden. Dug up a cold frame section and planted 3 packs of lettuce and one of spinach. Mom called and we caught up a bit. Her brother's wife-Barb, passed away this week with cancer. Ollie, husband, played the harmonica for her as she slipped into heaven. Phil is still coughing and feeling tired. Philip isn't feeling so well either and they struggled to stay alert on their way home from Richmond. I borrowed a book from Betty entitled 'Prince Edward' and am learning some of the history of racial issues in Farmville Va. Watched 'Stranded' with Susan and Phil. Based on Swiss Family Robinson. 65degrees today. Left windows open overnight.

Fri-Raining. Visited with the guys here in the morning before they started working around here. Phil worked in the office. I went to Appomattox-Walmart, Granny Bee's and Baine's with DDF-Lisa H., The Little Things in Life, Country Charm, B&L, Southern States, and the Library. Made a huge pot of just vegetable soup. Susan went to CE's for the weekend. Michael and I watched a movie-"Prestige"-and Phil joined us about halfway through. It was hard to follow but definitely intriguing. Buck Night in the man cave. Supposed to get cold tonight and maybe snow.

Sat.-Busy day-made a turkey, sweet potatoes, (served Phil a sweet potato with watercress on top for lunch.), vacuumed, washed Kitchen floor, cleaned the Tupperware cupboard, and tonight, Phil and I went out to Bedford to Liberty Station with Tom and Kathy L. and we had the best salad, bread. crab dip, steak. ever! Kathy and I started singing along with the music in the bathroom and decided to sing that song for the pig roast. "Winter, spring, summer, or fall....all you have to do is call....and I'll be there...." Lovely time was had by all. Michael and Chace helped the Yoder's moved and made some money. Philip worked on his house. Phil rested a lot today and talked with his parents this morning. They were headed to Barbie's memorial service. It's 35 degrees here today. Susan's overnight at Claire's but we brought Lucy in and put her in her cage in Susan's room. She broke out of her cage last night and was sleeping on Susan's bed this morning. Chatting with Lindsay on face book. Great way to end my great Saturday.

Sun.-Picked up Tom and Kathy and took them to church with us. They loved it. Went out to Pino's afterwards. Freeman, Alli, Nathan, and their friends, Brian and Heidi, joined Susan and the four of us. Came home and rested. Watched a movie-can't think of it's name-with the boys. Happy ending. Michael and Philip cut each other's hair. Good evening and good night of sleep.

No comments: