Thursday, April 23, 2015

Hertzler Doings~April 13-19, 2015

Mon.-My brother Alan's 60th birthday. What a dear guy. Packed. Cleaned fridge and freezer, walked with Alli and Nathan. Susan prepared a house for the guys to work in tomorrow, moved here and at Happy Valley, and went to the gym. I had a fight with a renegade fire. Thankful the woods didn't burn down. (Singed the hair off my right arm, burned my face, got scratched up, and battled poison ivy later in the week.) (Writing this 1 1/2 weeks later.)

Tues.-Didn't sleep much. Left for Pa at 6. Stopped every hour. Rainy. Saw an almost accident in front of me with two tractor trailers. One swerved to miss a truck parked on the right at the same time the other one swayed towards the one swerving. So close. Went to Cabela's and got some shirts with my points. Arrived at Diane H's. around 3.While we were talking her neighbor stopped by and asked us to pray for her husband who is a doctor there in the valley. He's 82 and still practicing. Some medicine he took for rheum. arthritis caused sores to take over his mouth and he hadn't eaten for 6 days. I started telling her about a man in our church who couldn't eat and I made him mashed potato soup...and she said, "I can't believe you are saying this. Just yesterday I asked him what he would want to eat if he could eat and he said, 'Mashed potatoes, only thinner,' and she said, "Mashed potato soup," and he said, 'Yes!'" So, Diane had all the ingredients and soon we were taking soup up to them and he could eat it and he ate it the next day as well. The wife called from work the next day and was still reveling in the love of God, that when her husband wanted mashed potato soup, someone was there who could make it. It was wonderful. Diane took up some of our supper up to them for the wife to eat-mashed potatoes, pork tenderloin, broccoli, croissants, and salad. Later we had a chocolate cupcake. Zack was home and ate with us. I took a Jacuzzi bath to help my shoulder which hurt so badly from trying to put out the fire with a wet towel, which worked, by the way.  (the wet towel and the Jacuzzi therapy) Meghan called and Caleb called, wanting to discuss Revelation with Diane. Got to bed around 11.

Wed.-Had homemade bagels and pineapple for brunch. Sat around and talked until 11 and then we got showers and I left by noon and she went to work. I met Naomi at Yoder's for lunch. We had a baked potato with broccoli and cheese and a salad and then went to see our friend Jane, who is ill, and they are unable to find out what is wrong with her. Please Jesus, give her the key to her health. We went our separate ways and I ran into Goodwill and picked up a few books to read at the shore and then went to Rosalees by 4. She surprised me and had my brother, Abe, and his wife, Karen, there for supper. She made the best lasagna, a salad, homemade bread, homemade applesauce, peas, crumb cake, lemon pudding dessert, and I am not sure if I got everything. We had a really great time catching up with each other. I realized that Nathan looks like his Great Uncle Abie with his strawberry blonde hair combed to the side and his blueberry eyes. I mentioned how much Nathan looks like his Uncle Abie and I said, "No wonder I like Nathan so much." After Abie's left, Rosalee and I walked and talked in the neighborhood. Jim was working late. Rosalee is such an interesting person. Jim got home around 9:30 and I got to bed in Annika's 'old' bedroom around 11.

Thurs.-I awoke around 4:30 and wrote down what I did yesterday and then I went back to sleep until 8. Had a wonderful time with Rosalee-laughing, crying, talking, sharing. She made me an egg sandwich for breakfast and warmed up some leftovers for lunch. Then I left and went to Shady Maple to buy lunch supplies for the beach. Rosalee sent a loaf of sliced homemade bread and crumb cake along with me to take to the shore. Went to Naomi's and visited with Ashley. Naomi went to the local Italian restaurant and picked up a pizza like supper which we ate. Rosa came and when we were packed, we left around 6:10 and got to O.C. around 8:40 in spite of heavy traffic through Philly. Stopped at a grocery store and Rosa and I got some more food and picked up a few movies. We watched 'Rewrite' later that eve. It was just ok. Naomi fell asleep and went to bed. First we gave each other our gifts from each other.  I gave them gifts from Thailand-a bracelet, scarf, and carved soap. Naomi gave us a beach towel and a cooky book. Rosa gave us a bracelet, a scarf, and earrings. Her bracelet had a white bead with water from Mt. Everest in it and a black bead with mud from the Dead Sea. Bev's son had a motorcycle accident earlier in the week so she was not able to join us at this time.

Fri.-Leisurely wake up. Naomi brought me coffee in bed and Rosa joined her in my room since I had the king size bed and the largest bedroom. Then we had a breakfast of baked oatmeal, granola, yogurt, and fresh sliced strawberries and blueberries. Delicious. Then we got ready and went out to Atlantic City to the outlets. I found a grad outfit for Michael and Susan's graduations as well as some other nice things. We walked the boardwalk at OC when we got back and saw a wedding party getting their pictures taken on the beach. The bride's shoes were on the boardwalk and we put a little money in there to bless them. We saw them come up later and she gave a little jump and the grinned happily and she gave her new husband the money to put in his pocket. We came home and made spicy chicken and had that with pasta salad, celery, and blue cheese dressing, and ate while we watched another movie. Then another. Then to bed by 11.

Sat.-Woke up earlier and read the Psalms I am memorizing and Sarah's Key-an excellent novel based on real life history and I sat on the balcony with my coffee. Joined Naomi and Rosa for breakfast and sat on the sofas talking. Then we went out to the beach for awhile. When we came back to use the bathroom and make lunch, Bev arrived! She gave us our gifts-chocolate, water, and a future signed CD from Third Day.  Then we all went out on the beach. It was warm and sunny and I got burned. There were families on the beach with small children. So much fun to watch. We went out to Crab Trap for supper and I got the sweet potato encrusted salmon with spinach that I always get. We came back and watched a movie and ate Klondike bars.

Sun.-Woke early and caught up with Bev over 3 cups of coffee. Walked on boardwalk and bought mugs and dice game. Came back and packed our lunch and went out and froze on the beach. A young high school student came up to us and asked if he could interview us for a class. He asked if we believed in 'freewill.' We answered him and then asked what he believed. He did not believe in free will. Said he was an atheist and thinks we make all our decisions due to past experiences and genetic make up. That we have to do what we do. When he walked away, I said, "God loves you, Quentin." He said, "Thank you." I am not sure if he was responding to what I said or if he was thanking us for our time. I think about him a lot and know that he came up to us for a reason and that God really does love him dearly. After he left, it got too cold. No one else was on the beach and we decided to come home. Bev treated us to supper at Nonnies, our favorite Italian restaurant on Asbury Street. We all got our favorite meals and then shared two slices of lemon cake that was out of this world. Bev left for home then and we came back to the beach house and watched 'Dan in Real Life,' before hitting the sack.

No comments: