Friday, December 9, 2011

Double Talk

Usually, when someone says your name twice in a row, you tend to sit up and listen. I've been noticing the times that Jesus said names twice.

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41,42)

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem...how often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!"(Luke 13:34)

"Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." (Luke 22:31)

"Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" (Acts 9:4)

I wonder if He says my name twice.

As He says it, does He invite me to sit at His feet and be gathered under His wings?

Does He warn me that Satan has asked to sift me as wheat, but assures me of His very own prayers that my faith will not fail?

Does He chide me for the way I fight against Him rather than surrendering to His goodness?

For truly, truly, it could be my name in those verses and His voice that I hear.