Saturday, December 17, 2011

Simplify

I put a verse on face book the other day. Words that Jesus said. "Martha, Martha, you are worried about many things. But Mary has chosen the best part and it will not be taken from her." The story is written in Luke 10:38-42.

Basically what happened was this. Martha was making a nice supper for Jesus and Mary wasn't helping her. She was sitting at Jesus feet, listening to what He had to say. Martha says to Jesus, "Tell Mary to help me. I'm doing all this work for you all by myself." And that's when Jesus told Martha about the differences between her and Mary.

I had several joking responses which got me to thinking. Basically, people were wondering who was going to do all their work if they just sat at Jesus' feet. Who is going to do the washing, cleaning, and cooking?

So, I looked at the story again and I noticed that the key words Jesus used in His rebuke to Martha were these. "You are distracted, troubled, and worried about many things."

What does this say to me?

It says, "Simplify my work for Jesus."
He does not want me 'slaving in the kitchen'
getting hot and bothered as I 'cook a three-course-meal'
when He would be deeply satisfied with 'almonds and raisins'
and a listening quiet loving friend to enjoy it with Him.

We do big things for God and want to influence people to love Him
and we wear ourselves out and offend others in the process
and we wouldn't want anyone to see how we act when we leave
the limelight of duty and collapse at home
where those who love us most pay dearly for our work for God.
(I speak as an 'expert' on my own humanity.)

Think of the simplicity of God.

Clay became man.
A stick parted waters.
A cloud led by day and
a pillar of fire by night.
A whale swallowed a prophet.
And a manger held God.

Natural things becoming spiritual.

We want to add unnatural things
to spiritual things.
Blinking lights and man's applause
to everything we do for Him.

And He just wants simple.
He just wants you.
He just wants me.

So turn off the music.
Turn off the drama.
Turn off the worries, the troubles, the distractions.

And take a little piece of bread
and a little cup of juice
and sit with Him.

For after all things are said
and after all things are done
it is you that He wants,
not what You do for Him.

No comments: