Monday, September 23, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Sept. 23-29, 2013

Mon.-Productive day. Did wash, cleaned out the cold frame and put 3 loads of organic matter on top and mixed it in. Sewed 6 buttons on a sweater for Susan while I sat in the sun and caught some Vit. D. Exercised, Talked with Katherine and Sarah and D. Guys worked on Freeman's house. Michael went to school. Alli stopped in for a visit. Tommy mowed the fields. Susan went to Farmville and did her Monday projects plus had volleyball practice. Made incredible spaghetti squash with tomatoes, cheese, garlic, basil...broiled. And made crock pot Thai cashew chicken with rice and broccoli. Also, sorted through summer clothes, threw out some, stored some, put some back into drawers, and gave some away. Every morning, Susan and I exercise at the same time. She goes over to the man cave and I stay in the living room and listen to Zig Ziglar or Dale Carnegie. Then we have a 3 song tidy in our bedrooms, both working as fast as we can.
I am thankful that the work of God is to believe on Him whom He has sent.
I am thankful that my to-do list got halfway done.
I am thankful that no matter what is going to happen in our nation,
God is in control, and in Him, there is a stillness and a voice that speaks.

Tues.-Watched the documentary, "Trail of Tears" with Susan. I never knew there were black Indians. I never knew the Indians were shipped to Boarding Schools and were not allowed to speak anything but English. Nor did I know that they received more education than most whites at the time. Susan went out for volleyball practice in the afternoon. I made brown rice tortillas while cleaning out the fridge. Guys came home for lunch and were home for supper shortly after 5. I could get used to this.
Finding out that Phil and the rest of the Kenyan team had coffee in the mall that is in crisis in Nairobi. So sad. And scary. Our times are in His hands. And if our times are in His hands, then our life experiences are as well. If they are in His hands, then we can trust Him with them, can we not. I am 56 and still learning to trust Him. I guess I will be learning to trust Him when I'm 99 and wanting to go parachuting. I am thankful that He is trustworthy. And that I really believe He is trustworthy. So, therefore, I can trust Him. I am thankful for the times He's looked me in the face and asked the question, "Did I tell you to worry about that?" I am thankful that as I hear another's burden, I can roll it over on to Him and not try to fix it. It sets me free to care and to enter in to another's sorrow and wait with them for God to move.

Wed.-Spent most of the day in the Farmville area. Had lunch with DDF at Merks; went to muscle therapy-Dennis says I have sprained my foot in two places; went to the bank, Walmart, Sweet Frog by myself to read a chapter in 'Praying Circles around your Children' by Mark Batterson; went to Mom's and More where we talked about that chapter and shared. Oh, how I love that group of women! Came home and went to bed. Philip and Susan came out for youth group and Susan got to drive Philip's big truck. Michael had a close call the other night when someone was driving towards him on 460 on his side of 460. Sarah was praying for him. Helen saw the same thing and called 911.

Thurs.-Worked outside for an hour on the flower garden. Planted 18 pansies. I love when it snows and their hardy happy heads peep out and smile summer warmth in winter. Worked in the old house. Have been listening to teachings on goal setting etc. and realize that I need to have an end in mind when it comes to goals. Instead of having a goal to clean the old house, I need to have a goal to have it cleaned by the end of November. And then the strategy to bring that goal about would be to work in the old house 15 min. a day, 6 days a week. Same with weight loss. I need to have a specific goal of weight loss by a certain time.
Susan finished mowing at Happy Valley. She lost keys and I found them by retracing her drive in the truck using the gator. Watched Monk with Susan and Phil for a little while and heated/chilled my foot. Good day.

Fri.-Picked up a battery for the mower from Corey's shop in Appomattox. He gave it to us since the last one he gave us was the wrong size and sitting on the seat kept shorting it out. Also went to Walmart while there. Worked on old house and planted more pansies. Did some wash. Susan mowed around here probably for the last time this summer. Watched Monk this eve. Julie coming overnight. Michael with Sarah. Philip stayed home.

Sat.-Cleaned the house while Susan and Julie cleaned Happy Valley. Phil and Michael picked up a load of firewood from the Abbey. I picked up Little Beulah-Susan's friend, Brooke, who reminds her of my mother. Same maiden last name and her father's from our area in Pa. He's a blond version of my cousin Marv. Big event of the day was the fund-raiser hoe-down at Glory Reins Ranch. Sarah's family owns the ranch and has a ministry to troubled children using horses. Everybody brought food and it was set up in the barn that Phil and boys had built several years ago. It was so much fun to see so many homeschool and community families. I laughed and enjoyed myself so very much. The girls-Brooke, Julie, and Susan, and the guys-Philip and Michael, as well as a good hundred more of each, met together down in the arena where they danced the night away. The polka, the Virginia Reel, the Chicken, the Snowball, the Waltz, etc. etc. raised up such a cloud of dust it looked like a tornado was coming or going. It was a great time. I love this family and their call to missions right in their back yard.

Sun.-Brooke had spent the night and went to church with us. It was a great service-14 baptisms, 6 people accepting Christ-one of which was the mother of a girl that was baptized! Testimonies...worship....healing service. Phil and I both had a meeting after church. Phil's went longer so I took the girls' to La Parota but it would have been a half hour wait so we went to Golden Palace instead. Then we went back for Phil, who was just getting out of his meeting. Took Brooke home and came home and watched a movie. Susan went out to Farmville again for Savannah's 18th birthday party. Philip and Michael spent the afternoon at Warren's. Michael had spent the night there. Stayed at the grandparents place. Some families camped over and had outdoor breakfast and church services. Philip and Phil shot in their bows in the eve. I read some things that confirm the feeling that life as we know it is drastically going to change. What does this mean? Perhaps, it's a good thing. But, as I watched the young folk dancing with healthy enjoyment while the dust rose up around them, it looked like a dream. And I thought, 'Cherish these moments. We should all cherish these moments. Hold them dear. Because, life as we know it, is drastically going to change.' And I pray for those young people and the life that they thought they would have, and I pray that they will find God and cling desperately to Him, as all else fails. And I pray that weeks, months, years, from now, I will look on these words I have written, and say, 'I don't know why I said that but I'm so glad that I was wrong.'

No comments: