Monday, October 21, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Oct. 21-27, 2013

Mon.-Slept in until 8. Did a little wash and some other stuff. Still in a lot of jaw pain from dental surgery. Talked on the phone for the first time today. It's true that happiness is happier once you've known great sorrow. So I think that not having severe pain will be much more of a joy since I've known severe pain. Susan had basketball practice today and ran some errands in Farmville. Pigs got out yesterday and ran like a gang through our yard, rooting up the grass and causing general havoc. Chi Alpha is coming Sat. and I hope their poop jobs disintegrate a little. (The pigs poop jobs, that is.) Michael is very busy with school. 18 credits this semester. The guys put the windows in Freeman's house today. Davi is banned to the outside cage this evening since she checked out the pig droppings too closely. Candles are burning to help eliminate her odorous remains or should I say the remains of her odor. It's going to get cold this week. I'll have to cover up the lettuce in our cold frame.

Tues.-Another day of hanging in there with the pain. Had a nice Happy Birthday Rosalee chat with her. Susan, I realize, needs to cook something before she studies. Today, she sliced some cabbage, drizzled it with oil, sprinkled it with garlic salt, and broiled it. It was so good. Phil came home for lunch and Philip was home for supper but then went out to see Susan's volleyball game and then to Chi Alpha. I was starting to put together a study notebook for Richard Mayberry's WW1 and discovered that there is already one already made so I ordered one for WW1 and WW11 and saved myself many hours. I just do not 'get' these wars. It's hard to ask questions when you don't get the answers. It is hard to think straight when I'm on so many meds. I noticed that it is hard to clean up clutter too since my brain cannot seem to organize itself. I am praying specific things for our family and for our church and know that God hears me and He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I ask or think which is a good thing when one isn't thinking that straight to begin with. It's not dependent on me and how I feel or don't feel. He is the dependable one. He is the faithful one. He is the good one.

Wed.-Susan drove us to Richmond for my dentist appt. He says things look good but I may have a hemotoma on the right side. Gave me two more prescriptions for antibiotic and pain meds. Went to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Home Goods. Susan and Philip went to YG in the eve.

Thurs.-Went to Susan's last volleyball game in the eve. They played well but lost.

Fri.-Did some cleaning up outside and inside. Tommy here today. Susan mowed, cleaned, packed, cooked, invented, and went to youth retreat for an overnighter. Philip had BUCK night and Sarah, Jordan, and Michael went out to Lynchburg for the eve. Michael had an aviation presentation at Liberty and also had a philosophy paper due. 18 credits is keeping him scrambling. Lucy knew Susan was leaving today and looked at her reproachfully. Davi was also mourning but was much happier when Phil came home. I'm not sure if I wrote this before but the day I had my surgery, Lucy was really worried about me and wanted to crawl up beside me in bed. We put a sheet on the comforter and she snuggled next to me for a good 20 min. without Susan in the room. I don't remember any of it but the sweetness of her trying to get up to me and be near me just like she comforts Susan.

Sat-Cleaned house, etc. and got ready for Chi Alpha to come in afternoon/eve. Philip made his famous chili. They played volleyball, checked out the cows and pigs, played the tubular Frisbee game, roasted marshmallows, ate caramel corn, sat around the fire, had a gator ride or two, etc. Jenny and the girls came also and Susan brought Savannah and Harvest back with her from the retreat. My highlight was getting to know little Hannah and the strength of her delightful personality.

Sun.-Great teaching on facing our fears and living in the realm of faith rather than in the little land of fear. Susan and I went to La Parota while Phil helped Steve with some church business. Came home and watched a Food movie with Phil and Susan-documentary on where our food comes from. Took a nap. Susan went to Julie's for a party. Phil and I read and played with Davi. Michael was with Sarah all day and Philip just got home after being away all day. It's nice to look up on stage and see both Freeman and Philip playing the guitar.

No comments: