Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Dec. 9-15, 2013

Mon.-Freeman and Alli lost power early this morning. He came over and had some breakfast and coffee. Later, she came over and helped me make lunch. She completed a knit hat while we watched two movies with Susan and Lucy. It was a cold, rainy, icy day. Naomi called this morning and told me that her two oldest-twins, want to drive her and I to Nantucket next October. Naomi said, "It's time we were doing those things on our Bucket List."

Tues.-Today's highlight-spent afternoon and eve. with Janelle and Micah. Picked them up and went to Miller's and Walmart to do some grocery shopping. Micah spent his hard earned 'minimum wage job' money on gifts for the cousins he stays with during the day. Then to Judy's to drop off something and to the P.O. and then to the theatre to watch "Frozen" and eat two big containers of buttered popcorn between us. Micah brought his stuffed animals along to watch the movie with us. Then we dropped him off at karate and Janelle and I went to Hong Kong to eat some Chicken Cashew for old times sake but it tasted nothing like the chicken cashew in Thailand that we would buy for 35 cents from street vendors. We talked about work and investments, etc. Enjoyable. Then we picked him up and headed for home. Susan didn't get home until after midnight. Basketball game in Richmond. She helped keep the stats for the guys. Philip went to Chi Alpha and shared his hot pepper venison bologna. Phil had a board meeting and got home in good time. I am enjoying Miss Marple Mysteries loaned to me by my neighbor, Jeanne. The other day, I picked up another book she loaned me-'Everyday Divine' by Mary DeTurris Poust, and as I read a few pages, I came across several paragraphs written about Jeanne, who was sharing how she keeps her focus on Christ by singing hymns during the mundane projects of life, such as washing the floor. It was exhilarating to read about her in the book she had loaned me. I don't think she had told me that she was in it.

Wed.-Did a lot today. Washed, helped Susan make vegetable bean soup, made applesauce, wrote some Christmas cards, wrapped some gifts, walked at O'Briens and got fresh greens, vacuumed and washed the floors. It was a sunny day and the dogs were outside and I could walk around without banging into Davi. She wants to be right in front of me. Michael studied down at the river by a fire for quite some time. Philip and Susan went off to youth early to play some basketball. I'm popping a turkey in the dutch oven to cook all night. Philip and Tommy were working on the garage all day. They both had their shirts off. It really wasn't that warm but they were working up a sweat.

Thurs.-Went out to Cornerstone Christian Academy today and watched Lessons and Carols for the first time free of responsibility. Susan and I enjoyed talking with the teachers and students. Later in the afternoon, I went out to see Mac at Great Escapes. He took 1 1/2 inches off my hair. He said, "It's all about your silhouette." Susan had basketball practice at Worsham and I spent that time with Judy and Josh had me taste his chili and we added a secret ingredient. I ate too much. Yum.

Fri.-Phil and I went to Peter and Ivona's for a party around 1 today. He had bought a pig earlier in the week from Philip and borrowed our roaster. It was delicious. They served it with sauerkraut and a doughy potato type side dish with caramelized onions on top. So incredible. I made my new favorite dessert-French silk pie. Met some new folks from Jamersons and CLLewis.  Nice down to earth people. In the eve. Phil and I went to see the musical at church again. Sat in the balcony behind Dave and Shirley and some friends of theirs. Pastor Frank and Lisa were there and it was really good to see them. Susan had basketball practice and stayed and talked with Jenny L. for awhile. She came home and cleaned her room and did wash. Michael went to see Sarah and Philip was hunting, I think.

Sat.-Phil and Susan left early in the morning to go hunting in Suffolk. Jordan was here overnight and was planning to help Michael cut firewood. After a great breakfast made by Michael they got started but were frozen out with pinging rain. Rained most of the day. Philip went hunting but the woods were quiet. I had the house to myself and did laundry, vacuumed, washed floors, washed Lucy's pen-still smells like skunk-, made chili, vegetable soup, watched half of the first Hunger Games with Philip, and went to two parties with Phil after he got back with Susan. First party was the annual Guild/Jones party at the Guilds. It was nice to visit with Jeff and Chris and the McGregor's and others. We came back to the Grunerts for their annual party. Ate some more there and sat around the table and talked. Wonderful time with wonderful friends, family, and neighbors. Janelle and Micah, Tom and Helen and Abby and Serena were there. I think Michelle and Karl were there earlier and then they went to the musical. Peter and Ivona and Karen and George and Eny were there as well. They have the same friends over  every year and we've gotten to know each other through the years. Shadow-John and Jeanne's rescued German Shepherd,  endeared himself to us by the way he endured the wearing of the red hat.  We helped Jeanne clean up and we sang Christmas carols in her kitchen while we washed dishes and put away food. Definitely a favorite Christmas moment.

Sun.-Another Christmas moment took place this morning when I confessed to Linda, a greeter, that every year, I pick up baby Jesus from a manger scene and hold him. This year, baby Jesus came from Jordan, and is about 2 inches long. I told her I thought we should celebrate Christmas by passing around a real live baby and consider how God Almighty came to earth as a baby, totally at the mercy of those he came to save. I was sobbing while saying this and she hugged me and began to sing beautifully, " I want to sit at your feet, drink from the cup in your hand, lean back against you and breathe, feel your heart beat..." The presence of God surrounded us as it always does  whenever I am with her and it was sweet and I could hardly leave to go inside. But He was in the sanctuary too and we worshipped and learned about hope. Having hope while we wait on the promises of God. And my friend, whose sister in law only has 2 weeks left on this earth, had said before the service, that she feels she is to be Hope to the people in that situation. Then the songs were about Hope and the Word was about Hope and I sure need Hope. What a gift Hope is. Hope has so much to do with the words we hear and say. Sometimes, our presence can give Hope, but often, it is our words. I would faint if I didn't have the hope that I would see the goodness of God in the land I now live in.
Phil left church to go to NC to see his cousin Dennis. Susan and Philip went to see The Hobbit. Michael spent some time down at the river and with Sarah and then planned to go to a later showing of The Hobbit.  I made some popcorn and tea and read some Agathe Christi and plan to write up some of 'The Courtship of Truman and Virginia Hertzler.'

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I love the idea of holding a little baby (a real baby) on Christmas to remember baby Jesus. Thank you for sharing dinner with us.