Monday, December 2, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Dec. 2-8, 2013

Mon.-Went over to O'Brien's to get some greens and decorated the table with greens, holly, and candles. Went to town to meet Catherine and Jenny at Merk's to discuss Gram's and More. Went to Walmart. Came home. Spent the eve. with Phil. Philip is still hunting in Pa. Michael was back at school and Susan is at a basketball game in Richmond. They won.

Tues.-Caught up with wash, Dr. F., some orders, housework. Made some French Silk Pies for tomorrow night and for our own eating pleasure. Typed minutes for Grams and More. Didn't sleep much last night so will hit the sack early. Susan's at basketball practice at the Warren's since the church gym is occupied with musical activity. Philip is on his way home from Pa. Didn't get a buck. Michael is studying late. I passed my insurance bloodwork, etc. Now I need to stop celebrating that and Thanksgiving.

Wed.-A day of cooking, processing anxious thoughts, meeting with godly women.

Thurs.-Day in Richmond. Dentist. Krogers. Whole Food. Trader Joes. Kindness everywhere. Whole Foods forgot to charge me for ice and the manager said, "You need ice? I'll get you ice whether she charged you or not." And he packed up a bag of ice for my cooler and gave it to me with a smile. At Trader Joe's, a worker came up to me and asked, "Are you okay, today, ma'am?" I hadn't slept the night before. I thanked him for asking. At the check-out, the young man clerk asked me how my week was. I was too tired to lie. "It was a rough week, actually." "Oh, I'm sorry," he said. "How was your week?" I asked back. "I had a rough week, too," he said, "but we are all safe now." "I'm sorry. I hope you have better days ahead." "Thank you so much," he said. "I appreciate that." On the way home, I talked with several people. I had a two hour drive and was fighting sleep. Judy talked with me until company stopped by her house. Catherine kept me awake on the final leg of the journey. Found out today that I had believed the worst about a situation and that that anxiety had cost me a night of sleep, and it was unfounded and unnecessary. It was worry. I had fought it all night and in the morning, I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I was singing Sunday's worship song, "Bless the Lord oh my soul...oh my soul...Bless His holy name..." Some day, I will learn to praise Him better. Until then, I will wrestle, and worry, and pray, and wake up with a song.

Fri.-So what I worried about wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. And again, I wish I had trusted Him more. This week was so hard for so many people. A young man was shot, another electrocuted, another had a tree fall on him and has neck and other injuries. A young mother to be lost her baby in her womb and delivered it full term a few days later. Another friend is facing the holidays without her son for the first time. Life is really hard. We are either in a crisis, headed out of one, or headed into one. We must find our peace in God who is with us in our circumstances of unpeace. He holds all things together, including us.
Today was so busy. Grand Central Station. Beautifully warm. Mid afternoon, Susan and I were sitting outside talking on my mother's wicker chairs. The little tufted titmouse birds don't mind eating from the feeder just a few feet away. Susan took lots of pictures. Suddenly there was a gust of wind and the temperature dropped a good ten degrees. Alli and Freeman lost electricity about the same time. They came over later to use the facilities to get ready for the musical. Susan went to basketball practice. Phil and I picked up Peter and Ivona. Michael and Philip drove together and we all went to New Life to see the new Christmas musical. Julie joined us there. Can I say that I'm just so proud of my son. We had no idea he had such a major role. Alli played his pregnant wife-owner or manager of a café. Freeman was Officer Klondike-an egotistical police officer with a soft heart. He sang several songs and spoke in a voice I never heard before. He said that voice never came up until he got this part. His facial expressions were in keeping with his character the whole way through. It was a story about forgiveness in keeping with The Prodigal Son. Excellent. I want to see it again. Funny. Serious. Entertaining. And Freeman and Alli were amazing. Came home and Susan brought Lucy into the house before she realized that she had been sprayed by a skunk. I hope our clothes don't smell like it.

Sat.-I left Lucy out of her cage on the front porch and later, put her in her pen. Came back into the house and it smells like skunk. Do I open the windows to let the skunk smell out or will the skunk smell come back inside? Phil went to Lowes to pick up some things for Freeman's house. Philip went hunting. I woke up early and read. Lots to do before the storm hits us. Browned some ground beef and added salsa and beans for tortillas. Also made apple crisp with blueberries and cherries added. Made gluten free pancakes for supper. Added bananas and mini chocolate chips in some of them. Michael studied down at the river and hunted squirrels. Philip went hunting and then went out in the eve. to a party at Sammy Yoder's where lots of youth were gathering. Phil did paperwork. I cleaned the house and took a nap and Susan took a nap also. She and I both took a nap. Dianna called earlier in the day to ask a chili question. She broke her little toe. Poor thing. That hurts and it hurts to wear shoes. But she'll keep going. Susan and I watched some movies tonight. Just a hint. If they put ten movies on a DVD and charge you 5 bucks for them, there may be a reason. We fast forwarded the really awful parts and critiqued the acting and lack of realism in the movies. Oh well. Freeman stopped by to pick up his toothbrush after the musical. I hope he had an extra one at home. Michael went to be with Sarah for the evening. It's supposed to start with some icy weather around 3 tomorrow morning. I doubt if we'll have church. I hope it's obvious and not wishy washy weather.

Sun.-Woke up to freezing rain. Church cancelled. I made potato latkes and apple fritters for breakfast. We had home church. Sang Christmas songs and Michael preached on evangelism. Susan shared a testimony of a friend's miraculous healing and I shared a devotional. We sat around and sang some more. Michael studied and Susan and I watched Monk and made popcorn, fudge, and milk shakes. The guys watched with us off and on. Lucy still smells like skunk but we had to let her out once and awhile.  It was a lazy cozy day. 

No comments: