Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Dec. 30, 2013-Jan. 5, 2014

Mon.-Phil's feeling pretty rough. He's taking it easy, listening to his financial CD's and sleeping off and on. I made a big pot of just vegetable soup with chicken broth, chili, and ginger/lemon tea. Susan and I brought in everything from the car and I got it all put away. Garage doors are going up today. Judy called and D's surgery went well and they found no cancer which is absolutely a miracle. Drs said there was a slim chance that it was not cancer. D is able to come home tonight. So thankful. Susan is headed to basketball practice tonight. Michael went over to the guys place to spend time with Travis and all. I went to bed at 7.

Tues.-And slept until 6 this morning. Did wash. Phil's throat looks rough. Feels like he has a fever and I can't find a thermometer anywhere. Decided to call the doctor. Long story short. Susan took him in since he feels like he is having out of body experiences with all the pressure in his head plus the meds we're forcing down his throat. Flu. He has the flu. Doc put him on Tamiflu and put Susan and I on it as well since we are living in the same house with him. So expensive but he feels responsible for bringing it in the house and doesn't want us to get it. I took a good nap this afternoon. Phil paid bills and is listening to his finance book. Susan went to Julie's and then to Julie's church event later. Lucy has been laying on her every chance she gets. Separation anxiety due to Christmas events in Pa. and now she's leaving again for the night. The boys are having their friends over for the night. I started a file for my blog writings. I'm editing favorite ones and then I will download the file and take it to the printers. I have several writing projects on the go. One with Lindsay, the blog devotionals, and Mom and Dad's courtship story. I wanted to get my desk cleaned off today but that will have to be my New Year's Day project. Naomi called. It was nice to catch up. Katrina posted several videos on fb of our family gathering. I am older than I think I am. It's strange to see ones self on video.

Wed.-The guys are staying away from the flu house. Phil is worse today but the doctor said it is to be expected. He slept most of the day after having a rough night. I tried to get some things done but wasn't too successful. Hip and shoulder hurting badly and making it hard to function. Susan got home in the afternoon after spending the night at Julie's. She and I watched 1 1/2 movies and drank hot chocolate. Freeman shot a button buck. A day of rest. I wanted to start the new year with the house somewhat organized but that didn't happen and it doesn't matter. Called Karen to give her a warning about the flu. So far so good up there. Dr. F. sent me home with a bunch of stuff for Phil. And memory vitamins for me. A day of peace. Amen.

Thurs.-Phil still recovering from respiratory flu and now it looks like I have a stomach bug with a 101.8 temp. Feeling awful.

Fri.-Lazy day for Phil and I. I worked on WM phone calls and fb messages. Phil's fever broke. He did a little work but rested most of the day. Susan was doctor and fixed things for Phil and made a delicious lunch of lentil burgers with mushroom buns. She and her team won their game in Richmond tonight. Michael, Phil, and I , watched Despicable Me 2 and Philip joined us for Mission Impossible 5. Freeman and Philip put up another rack in the laundry room to help me get more organized. Missed a Mom's and More Christmas party tonight. Think I got so sick yesterday because I ate bagged spinach and kale. Can't handle the preservatives and get sick every time but forgot about it this time around. It will be nice to feel good again.

Sat.-Freeman, Philip, and Susan, went hunting several times today but didn't get anything. Phil is still laying low but did some work outside. I have a sore throat and runny nose. Felt better than yesterday and vacuumed and washed a floor and worked on my desk and made some cream of tomato soup. Michael is headed to an airport with the W's to meet Sarah as she comes back from a missions trip to G. Philip is headed to Martin's. I'm hitting the sack early and Phil and Susan are watching 'Lord of the Rings.'

Sun.-Slept from 7 last eve until 10 this morn. Stayed in bed and Phil brought me toast and tea. Finally got up when Susan came home from church. Watched several movies and went back to bed again soon after 6. Phil's getting slowly better. I'm getting slowly worse. No fever so it is not flu. Just a nasty sore throat and head cold at this point and doing everything I can to keep it there and get better. Philip had worship practice this morning and played on the worship team. Michael has been with the Warren's. We are scattered today but we are resting. Sometime this week, my blog registered over 40,000 hits. U.S. reads it the most-27,000+. Then, in order from most to least-, Russia, Germany, Netherlands, U.K., Canada, France, Ukraine, S.Korea, and Poland.
I've been thinking about Nadia-she is a Lutheran priest and Jeanne Grunert gave me her book to read. Her language is a bit of a stretch but it makes me laugh a little and gasp a little but mostly, what she says in the midst of her language, makes me love God more. I find myself telling Him I love Him more than I have before. I wonder. I read the Bible. I read CSLewis and Nouwen, and Gary Thomas and Mary DeTurris Poust-a Catholic writer. I read Cloud and Townsend and Joseph Prince and Mark Batterson and Ken Hagin. Anne Lamott and Beth Moore.  Mostly, I read Isaiah, John, Paul, David, and Solomon's writings with a few others thrown in. And I realize that I am my mother. She always had a stack of 10 books or so besides the Bible that she was reading from. And I don't know anyone who was more balanced and tolerant and conservative than she was. Hopefully, the vast differences in what my writers write will all point me to the God they love and through their different perceptions of His word and His ways, I can see Him from their perspective and come to love Him even more than if I relied on my own perspective of Him. Somehow, I am figuring out how to keep an open mind, an open heart, an open soul to the way others see God, and yet remember that broad is the gate that leads to destruction and narrow is the gate that leads to life. So. Help me God. Help me know The Truth as You are and not the Truth as others perceive you. Help me not to be so open that I miss the Secret Garden Gate because the Public Garden Gates are swung open wide.

No comments: