Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Hertzler Doings~May 26-June 1, 2014

Mon-Happy Memorial Day. Guys went to work. Susan and I went to the gym. Well, she went to the gym, and I ran errands and stopped in to see Judy. Then I picked up Susan and we came back to Judy's again for Susan to change for softball. She caught an outfield ball. Just kept running forward with her glove held out. Always a good time.

Tues.-Went to Meg Davis' funeral in Appomattox. Dear old friend from CCA. 53 years old. She always treated my kids like they were the most important people on the earth. And she and I got into some trouble for talking about things a little too loudly. Once, Susan put a staple into her finger. Teri, the secretary, tried to get it out. Meg said, "If I had some vodka, I'd give it to you." Teri said, "Meg!" Meg said, "Well, I would!" Meg fell ill a few weeks ago and went to get checked out and received a death sentence. Went quickly in a few weeks. Cancer. I loved the things they shared about her. I know of no other heart quite like hers who wouldn't turn away a needy teenager or a hurting animal. Had some great talks with her this year. Both at Walmart. Susan had her first day of training at the Babcock House. She'll work a few hours over lunch each day from Tues-Fri. Perfect job for her. Michael and I came home from the funeral and I changed and raced over to pick up Alli to take her to her doctor appt. Baby Ray is due next Monday. Whoot! Whoot! I ran some errands while she was at the doctor. Also stopped in to see Judy. Then we went to Walmart and Sweet Frog. Came home. Made chicken, venison, and burgers, and salad and brussel sprouts. Helen brought 10 bags of mulch over when she came to pick up Tommy. Davi helped herself to a bag so Susan and I decided to spread mulch as quickly as we could. Finished cleaning up the kitchen and putting wash away. Busy busy day. Loved it.

Wed.-A day at home for me. Worked on our bedroom. Did some wash. Played the piano. Exercised. Walked. Cleaned up in the old house a little. Watered the garden. Had our first red raspberry and gave Susan one too. Made two kinds of strawberry shortcake. Ate an onion sandwich. Watched Monk with Michael and Phil in the eve. Susan got up and organized her room, did wash, went to work at the Babcock House, went to the gym, had a big tire fall on her foot, came home, iced it, took arnica and IBprofen, mowed Happy Valley and our place. Philip worked on his property for an hour after work. Michael scooped and spread chicken poop all day. Bless his heart. Honeysuckle is breathtakingly heavenly around here.

Thurs.-Supercleaned pantry in our bedroom. Enjoyed homeschool ball.  Had a nervous breakdown with the laughing until I cried right in front of Debra, Jeannie, and Jenny. It's usually when I crack myself up. This time it had to do with Debra asking where to buy salt water mixed with coconut oil combo for hair.  I told her I'd make it for her and sell it to her. (You had to be there. Well, that might not have helped. There were those who were there who had no idea why I was sobbing and laughing hysterically.) It was a little embarrassing when I realized a homeschool father had been viewing the whole scene. Oh well. What can you do. Felt wonderful. Stopped in at Judy's afterwards.

Friday-Nice day with Micah making cookies, going for a gator ride over to Happy Valley, visiting the island, watching the ducklings, etc. Vacuumed and washed the floors. Relaxing evening. Michael gave Micah a sweet memory today. Told him about his dad, Johnny, carrying him around in his backpack, looking over the property they now live on. He told him how much his daddy loved him. And soon afterwards, I called Micah, "Johnny."

Sat.-Focused on the food pantry in the kitchen today. Took hours! But now I know where everything is and the mice droppings are all cleaned up. I put eucalyptus oil on cotton balls and put them in the corners of the shelves. Supposed to keep out mice and bugs. Philip went to a Phil Joel concert at New Life in the eve. Michael watched a movie with a friend and Susan and I watched 'The Great Gatsby'. I knew she'd be disgusted with the ending.

Sun.-Pastor Betty preached today. So good. Phil and I got some food at Walmart before heading home. Susan went to Appleby's with the H's and Michael stayed out with his buddies. Philip came home later and then PB, Harv, Sav, and Linds, came over and went fishing. I read in the cool sunshine 'Seeds of Hope' by Henri Nouwen. So good.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Full plate of wonderful things, although I am sorry to hear of your friend's passing. See you soon.