Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Hertzler Doings~May 5-May 11, 2014

Mon.-Rained off and on all day. Made some food, did wash, cleaned up, etc. Went out for basketball practice and gym for Susan while I ran errands. Then we went to softball since the weather cleared up. Sat with Teresa and Doug, Ron and Kathy, and Lillian and Debra. Susan's team didn't win but they were missing some key players. Susan went to Taco Bell afterwards while I helped with the food table.

Tues.-Great day. Got lots done and laughed till I cried and laughed more than I cried with Susan. (She was only laughing.) Susan mowed later in the day but the lawn mower quit and when Michael got home, he helped her load it and they took it over to Corey's to get it fixed. Michael spoke after chapel at CCA today and pictures were posted on fb. He spoke on aviation and passed around a flight map that he had given me M's house and are making sausage burgers for supper. Pitched to Susan again this afternoon and one of her hits made it to the chicken fence. Phil and I drove down to the spring and got some watercress. Susan and I have gone through two kettles of peppermint tea already today and I just made another gallon. If you put lemon stevia in peppermint/spearmint tea, you will have a perfectly healthy sweet drink. Lucy started barking tonight and Susan told her to be quiet but I said, 'That is not her normal bark. She is barking like something is wrong.' I looked out and she was barking at something in her cage. Susan went out. Then she grabbed Lucy and literally carried her into the house. She didn't want Lucy to attack the big 6 foot black snake that was just beginning to work its way into her cage. It ended up in the garden shed spread out on the shelf. I thought it looked bumpy, as if it had swallowed some eggs.

Wed.-Great day. Went shopping for clothes with Janelle in Lynchburg. We both did well. Cato's, Penney's, Christopher Banks, and Goodwill. Ate lunch at Hibachi. Came home for half an hour and went out to Charlies to have supper with Kathy and Tom L. and Freeman, Alli, Philip, Michael, Susan, and Phil. Baby Ray is thinking about coming soon to brighten our lives. Most of us got the Italian buffet. Alli got a chicken salad sandwich. Susan and Philip left to go to youth group and Michael left to go for more studying. Phil and I came home and worked on our computers. I wrote something on face book today. "My mother's garden lives on in mine. She dug up peonies from her mother's garden and planted them in hers and then I did the same. Their pink buds are full of promise and will soon be drooping with fragrant heavy blooms. The transplanted Lilies of the Valley and Irises are blooming also; all sweet reminders of her." So many people liked this and commented that they have plants from their grandmothers gardens as well. Gardens are a tangible expression of a beautiful legacy. Last Saturday I wrote on fb-"Sometimes it's the husband of the woman who is expecting who gains the sympathy weight. This time, it appears to be the mother-in-law who is gaining the sympathy weight. This baby had better come soon." Over 50 liked this status as well and others added comments also. Maybe I should always blog my personal statements on fb for those who read my blog that don't have fb, such as Karen and Naomi. ;) 

Thurs.-Had some time with Kathy L. today. Drove the big white truck out to Walmart with her and picked up two black rocking chairs for their front porch. Washed/dried their sheets also only to find that their tickets are for tomorrow, not today. Did some wash. Davi pulled my new clothes off the line and got them dirty. Four pieces. I was so mad I wanted to spit. :) She went into her pen and knew she was a bad girl. I soaked the clothes in water, hydrogen peroxide, and Dawn, and all of the dirt and grass stains came out. Went out to Farmville late afternoon. Susan to gym, I to Food Lion and Judy's and then back to pick up Susan at the gym and then to softball. I helped with the food while Susan wasn't playing and then got to watch her play. Isaac went to catch a ball and it flipped up and hit his Adam's apple. After passing out several times, they checked him out and the ambulance came to take him to the hospital. The kids were on the field on their knees praying and Jeannie E. grabbed my hand and we prayed hard. It was such a relief to hear Isaac's laughter. Steve M. was here when we got home. Phil's helping him set up a budget for his mission work. Talked with a little girl tonight at ball who has some speech challenges. I've been around her quite a bit but never really talked with her. We were alone for a little while and sat on the picnic benches and she talked and talked. After awhile, I figured her language out. She doesn't use s's and she switches her g's and d's. She told me about her dog only she called him god. Her god died and she got a new god and I think his name is Buttercup. It was the most enjoyable 5 min. of my day, just to sit and listen to her.

Fri.-Busy day. Susan baked and cooked. Burned her leg on a hot pan. Pretty long burn. Sizzled and blistered. It was very hot. Watered the plants twice. Did wash, paperwork, pulled weeds, worked in old house, etc. This eve. we went to Liberty Baptist to watch the homeschooled production of "The Music Man." It was incredible. Susan went to Freeman and Alli's overnight. Free and her are getting up early to go turkey hunting.

Sat.-Happy 56th birthday to me. And here I thought I was 56 this whole year. I just gained a year! It was a wonderful day from start to finish. Philip and Michael sang 'Happy Birthday...Happy Long Life' when I came out of my bedroom and then held me and said, "I-Yi Mommy," in that comforting tone that always makes me cry. Phil and Susan both got me flowers. Phil-azaleas and Susan, a beautiful hanging plant. Susan made me stuffed portabella mushrooms for lunch and gave me a whole container of raspberries to eat on my own. She regaled me with funny stories of her morning with Freeman turkey hunting. They didn't get anything. Everyone was extra kind and extra sweet and said I shouldn't work etc. but I did and then we went to Ashley and Derek's wedding in the evening. It got rained out but it was fun and we ran into the barn and watched two best friend's get married. Saw some friends from Pa. and it was just a wonderful time. Got the idea from Dave Plank to build a barn like that to house receptions etc. I think I'd like that better than chicken barns over at O'Briens.

Sun.-Happy Mother's Day! It's wonderful to think about Mother and what she is doing now. Today I got more birthday gifts-a fillable soap scrubber from Philip, apricot body lotion and a cool mason drinking jar and sweet card from Jenny, and a beautiful homemade cedar plaque from Freeman and Alli. In wood-burning stenciled letters, it says, "YOU ARE OUR WIFE, MOTHER, AND GRANDMA OF NOBLE CHARACTER PROVERBS 31:10-31." I know right where I want to put it. In my heart and by the front entrance. Michael and Freeman made my favorite Mother's Day supper of fish and chips and we watched 'Saving Mr. Banks' together. It was another lovely day.

No comments: