Monday, June 2, 2014

Hertzler Doings~June 2-8, 2014

Mon.-Baby's due date. Took Alli in for her appointment. They hooked her up on the monitor to check if contractions were consistent and sent her home after an hour. So his heartbeat sounds wonderful. We can't see him but we can hear him and I love that 140 plus rhythm. Came home and put groceries away, cooked meat, finished wash, watered plants, gathered eggs, etc. and then went out to meet Susan at her ball game. She had come out earlier. Michael is working around here and chasing off crows from the corn fields.  Travis M. had a cycle accident last night. Pretty scraped up and at least one broken wrist. He is home now. Ron showed me pictures. I'm so glad it wasn't worse but he'll need to take it easy for awhile.

Well, the week is about over and I haven't written anything.
Because....
NATHANIEL RAY WAS BORN!!!!
June 3, 2014, at 10:07 Tuesday evening after his mama went through nearly 24 hours of labor.
He has stolen my heart and I am over the top.

Alli is such a good mama and Freeman is a wonderful father.
Nathan has had some jaundice and Dr. D. has been helping by being the great pediatrician that she is-available and wise and kind.

I was laying near the sunshine with him while his mama was resting
and a little poem began to solidify in my mind and I think this may be it's final tweaking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"This Moment"

Who you will be
Someday we will see.
But now, who you ARE
Is greater by far!

Nathaniel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We've had some trips to the hospital to get blood work done and thankfully with the good mama's milk he is getting plus some initial formula and time in the sun, his jaundice is improving.

I show anyone-whether they are interested or not-the picture of him in my arms.
I'm going to get it made into a canvas.

For two years, I have been relieved that my mother went to breathe heaven's air,
especially with her struggle with pulmonary fibrosis.
But this week, I began really grieving my loss of her.
Oh, how I wanted to call her and tell.
Oh, how I miss her.

Susan's heart is gone too.
She looks even more beautiful when she is holding him.
She gets this certain look on her face.
An in-love-ness that makes her look regal.

Michael teases and says he is going to get Nathan to call him "Captain Mike."
Philip can't wait to take pictures of him with guns all around him and add some words that say,
"Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he won't depart from it."
Phil is so happy to called 'Grandpa.'

In other news,
we went to New Life's graduation especially to see Savannah graduate.
Then to the homeschool grad the next day.
We knew so many of the kids.
We went to a supper in the eve. at Tom's for Tommy.

Sunday, today, the five of us went to eat at Chinese.
Susan then went to Tyler's grad party and the guys went to Chace's place to hang out with Chace and Jordan. I drove Phil down to the low grounds and he is sitting down there waiting for the crows to come in. Freeman is slow cooking ribs from the two pigs they butchered yesterday. Alli, Freeman, and Nathan will come over later for supper. Alli's family is visiting them today.

Besides the little poem, I posted some other things on face book.
"Yesterday, when I was holding Nathaniel, I discovered that Rob S's. contemplative looks is a genetic skill." and later "eyebrow up...eye half open". People who really know Rob liked that one.

Another post, earlier, "I love face book because everyone gets to see the new one I love. Also, I have to brag on Freeman and Allison. When he called to tell us Nathaniel was born, he said that Alli had the strength of a thousand lions and that she was Amazon Warrior Woman. (during labor and delivery). Today, Nathan was crying because his diaper was being changed and he was saying, "What the world?!" and then his daddy came and gave him his finger to wrap his hand around and started to sing, "You are my sunshine.." and right away Nathan quieted down. The nurse said, "Oh, you're the father who sang to his baby right after he was born." (141 likes and 25 comments) :)


I had such a strong nesting urge for the last two weeks and got lots done and it's a good thing because I just want to be with Alli and baby. (Don't worry. I'm not being a pest. ) I still have a few things to get ready for the pig roast and if they get done, they get done.

Have a great week.
Nathaniel's Grandma

No comments: