Sunday, August 31, 2008

She gave what Little she Had

I shared this at our Secret Sister breakfast on Sat.
I read the story of The Widows Mite from Mark 12:38-42.
She gave more than those who gave alot of coins, because she gave everything that she had.

C.S. Lewis says that we will be judged, not by what we've given, but by what we have left. The religious leaders were multi-talented individuals with the appearance of being spiritually and financially wealthy. They gave just a small percentage of what they had. They had a great deal left over. God's economy is different than ours.

The other day, I experienced an epiphany. Anne Lamott says that she believes that we are all the ages that we have ever been. Think about it. How old are you? You can imagine all the ages you have ever been, but you can't really identify with any ages that you have not been.
I am 50. And this is what 50 looks like on me, with my experiences in life, my accidents, my pregnancy's, etc. I will not have the body I had 5,10, 15 years ago... I need to get rid of the idea of what 50 Ought to look like and accept that this is what it looks like on me. Then I can strengthen what remains and be the best 50 I can be instead of trying to reclaim what I used to be. This also helps with the comparing one does with other 50 year olds. "Hmm..I'm in better shape than she is." Or...." How did she stay in such good shape?" Key word being 'shape'. Fruitless and Frustrating and why do it then?

We can apply the same principle to our emotional spiritual state as well. This is where I am at spiritually, emotionally, and mentally due to my choices and God's interventions and leadings, my environment and upbringing, my experiences...This is what I have to bring.

Like the widow, I can give what little I have. The widow gave everything. To others, it didn't look like much. We don't know if God rewarded her later financially or if He blessed her in some way. But He did reward her and she didn't even know it. He gave her what we all want. He praised her to His disciples. "Look at her. She has given everything." He gave her His favor.

Has He ever spoken highly of someone to you? Has he ever said," Look at that boy worshipping me. He has always loved me. He has given me everything he has." Or,"Look at her. She is using all her strength to build my kingdom. She's invisible to alot of people but this church wouldn't be what it is without her. She has given all that she has." Or, "Look at this mother. She has a new baby. She is exhausted. But she gets up at night and feeds her baby and she gives that child what little strength she has. Someday, I will tell her that what she did for the least of these, her baby, that she did for me."

Oh, to be commended by God.
Oh, to be defended by Him and pointed out to His followers.
Who needs the praise of men when you have His praise and defense?

I encourage you to give what little you have and receive what little others have to offer.

This is the amazing thing. We have this treasure in earthern vessels. We have His presence. We have Jesus within. We don't have to do any problem solving. We just need to point people to Christ. No matter how long we've been Christians, our human nature wants to wander away from truth. We always need someone to remind us to Look to Jesus and Keep our eyes on Him.

So relax and enjoy this prayer friendship that could be labeled as the Luck of the Draw. ( We pulled numbers and matched up with the other woman who had the same number. We will be prayer partners for the next 3 months.) Don't miss the Divine in it.

Take turns listening to each other and pray as you listen, giving their burden to God. Listen to God to hear if He has anything for you to share with them. Be quiet if you don't hear anything. Just listen and bring them before the throne.

Give and receive.
Be content with who you are and what you have to offer.
Relax and Enjoy.
Pray and Believe.
Remember that Christ is in you. Therefore the little you have to give is actually a great deal.
Remember that in Jesus great hour of need in the garden, He wanted His Father AND His three closest friends. It's OK and good to need friends and to want them to watch and pray with you.

Too often, when we only have a little to give, we hold it tight to keep it for a rainy day. I think the widow gave all of the little she had because she loved God more than life itself. She may have died later because she had nothing to eat. At the very least, she had to consider that possibility.

Oh God, help me love you more.

2 comments:

Susan said...

THIS is beautiful! It really spoke to my heart as I am struggling to not look the way I look. But you helped me realize....hey...I am 52 and this is what my 52 looks like.
Thank you.
Love from....
Your long lost friend Susan
PS...may I share this post?

Annie said...

Yes! Thank you. Miss you.