Monday, August 16, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Aug.16-22, 2010

Mon.-Song-"Out of distress to jubilant psalm..." "How can I keep from singing Your praise.." Went in to CCA today to prepare for school. Spent several hours getting things in order. Got to talk with some of the teachers. What a great group of people to be involved with! Piano is moved to the chapel, filing cabinet to the church closet (the sacristy), book shelf and books to the teachers closet, and wooden cabinet is in the corner of the art/music room.

I am thankful for Susan's excitement for school. I am thankful for little Etta's 'Love you' and hand blown kisses. I am thankful for hymns and their timeless truths and for the people who wrote them.

Tues-"And the train of His robe...filled the temple..." Went into school today for the teacher's meeting to make some plans, cover some material, and hear about the why's of Christian Education. I was struck with the thought that it is the people who completely believe in an idea that become the founders of what that idea embodies whether it be founders of a Christian school, a health clinic, or a nation. It is one's zeal for an idea or truth that propels one to provide others an opportunity to partake of the fruit of that idea or truth.
I've been reading the book, "The Annointing, yesterday, today, and tomorrow" by R.T.Kendall. It is shaking me to the core.

I am thankful for a night at home to watch a girlie movie with Susan. I am thankful for Christian Education. I am thankful for my hard working husband and his sweet, tired smile.

Wed.-"How can I keep from singing Your praise..." Wonderful morning at home to study and write in quiet, while Susan sleeps in. Working on freezing and packaging some lunch items for school. Making a turkey to cut up and freeze to eat over salad and in sandwiches and for supper. Went to church in eve. to keep Missi company and got a sneak peak of the Mystery Dinner Theatre. I am thankful that Freeman is such a good actor. I am thankful for the perpetual smile on his face. I am thankful that little Archer finally let me love on him and for his sweet wet kisses.

Thurs.-"And the train of His robe fills the temple..." Susan and I went out to school for a bit today. Met Marcie at Chinese Bill's for lunch. That was nice. Went to Walmart. Came home and took a nap. Not sleeping at night. Steve and Ruth Fisher came to spend the weekend with us. She told me they show "You Were the Joy" every Easter along with "The Passion of the Christ" to the Zambian village they live in. She invited me to come next fall to teach at a woman's conference. I am thankful that my parents had missionary friends visit our home as a child and now Susan is getting to hear the stories and understand the way of life of a missionary.

I am thankful that we have a room in the old house to which they can retreat and have some privacy. I am thankful for the break in the hot weather.

Fri.-"Jesus....Jesus....You are wonderful...." What song are you singing under the duties of the day? What song persists when the clutter of life is cleared away? I have become conscious of an underlying song that sings like a foundation in my soul. It is always there. It is always about Him. The song is a shelter and a shield about me. I am thankful for a song in the night which turns into a song in the day which turns into a song in the night...

Went out to Appomattox with Susan, Steve, and Ruth after a leisurely breakfast. The inflatable bed did not work for her. Steve had to rescue her from it's deflating ways several times during the night. She ended up on Freeman's love seat sofa and was quite comfortable in it. They are sleeping in the old house room that we fixed up. No bathrooms over there but I won't go into that right now. So, we went to Salvation Army, CCA, Phil's jobsite, Super 10, Walmart, China Bill's, Super 10, back to Walmart, and home again. Ruth made corn fritters and I made bruschetta for supper plus hamloaf. Steve helped Phil with the silage and Ruth, Susan, and I played Scrabble. Susan won but she wins most games anymore. Michael came home from his overnight conference in D.C. He is quite inspired about what he can do with Cutco and how it will help him not have college debt if he works hard during the summers.

I am thankful for Ruth's kind words. She says I am direct in what I say and that makes her feel comfortable. She has been so affirming of both Susan and I and we are having such a good sweet time together.
I am thankful for how happy Freeman looked today when I saw him at work and for the kisses he blew me. I am thankful that they have showers and regular toilets in the part of Africa where Steve and Ruth are and that I can eliminate that concern from my list. I am thankful for the powerful way God uses ordinary people.

Sat.-"And the train of His robe...fills the temple..." Took Ruth and Susan to Farmville today. Went to the bank to deposit Susan's calf check, to Roses, to the market where we saw Michelle and Bethany, to church to drop off Susan to serve desserts during the three Mystery Theatre showings, and then to Miller's where Ruth found much pleasure in the peaceful, quaint atmosphere and the rocking chair. Came back home for a lunch of sandwiches. Janelle and her friend Faith stopped in for a quick visit. We began playing 'the Mennonite Game' with her and Phil discovered that he had gone to Rosedale Bible Institute with Faith's sister over 30 years ago. Last week, God brought her to his mind and he began praying specific things for her and Faith filled in the gaps and we understood why God had led Phil to pray. I have no doubt that God lays us on other people's hearts when we need prayer and vice versa. Philip took Micah fishing and swimming today in the neighbors lake. Ruth and I took a nap while Steve helped Phil and Tom repair a piece of equipment and when we got up we organized some things for packing then got ready to go to the Mystery Theatre. Michael and Philip were with us at the dinner theatre as well and it was fun to watch Susan work like a pro, with her trays of drinks, handling the two spills at our table, and looking so cute with her black bowtie, black pants, white shirt, and new white converse sneakers. Freeman was the younger Thomas, a butler, in the play. It was great fun, especially, I think, because we knew everyone in the play, and enjoyed seeing them play their eccentric characters. It was good to see Alli looking so beautiful and so married. We came back home, had a bit of supper and went to bed.

I am thankful for the three songs that God gave Ruth and for her freedom in singing them to me on our way to Farmville. I am thankful for their invitation to come work with them in Africa and for our desire to do so sometime in the next five years. I am thankful for the grace of God.

Sun.-"Jesus, Jesus, You're so wonderful..." Woke up around 5:30 and gave the Fishers a quick breakfast and helped get their refrigerated items together, and sent them off with prayer and love. I stayed up and finished the book-"The Annointing-Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow" by R.T.Kendall. I am going to read it again, but Phil wants to read it first. I spent some time blogging in my blog and also in my mother's blog before going to church. Went to Dianna's SS class and loved it. Pastor Alvin led Mt. Zion kind of worship and Pastor Rob preached on the two mountains-Sinai and Zion. Mt. Sinai represents the law and the uncertainty as to whether our sacrifice was good enough to pay for our sins and allow us to come near God. The Israelites no longer even wanted to hear the word that came from God through Moses on Sinai because they could not endure what was commanded and the sight of Moses reflecting God's glory was just too terrifying for them. They wanted nothing to do with that which showed them how far they were from God. Sinai represents living in fear; the externals of keeping the law-religion; the rebelliousness of the one thief on the cross, the proud Pharisee who compared himself with the sinful tax collector (when comparing, we will always be better than some and worse than others), and the builder who refused to put effort into building a better foundation than one on sand. Mt. Zion can be approached with joy because Jesus has become the sacrifice to pay for our sins, so we don't have to worry if we are good enough to approach God anymore. He is the Mediator between us and God and now we can come to the city of the living God and be in the company of angels and the church of those who first came to Christ, and the assembly of all believers, and God Himself! Mt. Zion has two rules compared to the endless rules of Mt. Sinai. Love God and love man. This sums up the law and the prophets and Jesus fulfilled the law. So through His fulfillment of all of the law, we abide in the law of love. Mt. Zion represents grace, a hunger for righteousness, and desire to hear the Word of the Lord. Mt. Zion is full of clarity and radiant light and clear consciences. The repentant thief on the cross, the humble tax collector repenting in the temple, the builder who built his life on a rock-all these represent those who want to be part of what is taking place on the summit of Mt. Zion. There is no middle ground between Sinai and Zion. Compromise in the believer's life is the devil's lie. The times are urgent. Are we going to be a people who cower under the shadow of Mt. Sinai or are we going to be a people who will put the effort into entering into the 'Sabbath Rest' of God where we cease from our own works? Are we going to live on the summit of Zion under the grace of the provision of Christ's sacrifice or are we gong to live under the shadow of Sinai, where our good will never be good enough and fear is our daily bread?
Came home and rested and watched 'Airforce One' which I saw in a different light after having read Eldredges 'Wild at Heart.' Walked to the river. Went to bed early. Very, very tired.

I am thankful for my kind husband, who went and got the gator to bring me back home, when I got too tired to walk back from the river. I am thankful that God answers my prayers to bring hidden things to light even though there are some things I'd rather not know. I am thankful for the good time Philip and Michael had with their friends, fishing at the neighbor's lake.

No comments: