Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What Does it Feel Like?

I am rereading the parts I underlined in Philip Yancey's book-"Disappointment With God." Mr. Yancey spent 2 weeks in Colorado reading the Bible straight through. Here are more of his observations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"As I read through the Bible in my winter aerie, I marveled at how much God lets human beings affect him. I was unprepared for the joy and anguish-in short, the passion-of the God of the Universe. By studying "about" God, by taming him and reducing him to words and concepts that could be filed away in alphabetical order, I lost the force of the passionate relationship God seeks above all else. The people who related to God best-Abraham, Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah-treated him with startling familiarity. They talked to God as if he were sitting in a chair beside them, as one might talk to a counselor, a boss, a parent, or a lover. They treated him like a person."~~~~~

"I came away from Colorado with a very different mental image of God. After two weeks of studying the Bible, I had a strong sense that God doesn't care so much about being analyzed. Mainly, he wants to be loved. Nearly every page of his Word rustles with this message. And I returned home knowing I must somehow explore the relationship between a passionate God-hungry for the love of his people-and the people themselves. All feelings of disappointment with God trace back to a breakdown in that relationship. Thus, I determined to look for the answer to a question I had never before considered: "What does it feel like to be God?""~~~~

"The reason the mass of men fear God,
and at bottom dislike Him,
is because they rather distrust His heart,
and fancy Him all brain like a watch."
-Herman Melville
(quoted in 'Disappointment with God')

No comments: