Monday, August 2, 2010

The Silver Chalice

He was holding it there, near the right side of my face, waiting.
His hands were wrapped around the silver chalice
and a deep red cloth was draped over his wrist.

I thought I was homesick for another place, another time.
I thought I was homesick for the kind words,
"Come beloved, all is prepared."
And that may be so.

But still he waited with the cup.
I realized he wanted me to drink from it.
I took a cautious swallow.
"It's good!", I exclaimed, looking up at him.
"I want to drink it all!"

"That's the idea," He said with a smile.
That's when I recognized His face.
That's when I recognized His waiting hands.

And so I drank the depths of the silver chalice.
It was sweeter than sweet.
He must have used His choicest grapes
to make this wine for me.

He took the scarlet cloth.
I thought He would wipe the lip of the cup
but instead,
He wiped my lips.
Then, drawing me close,
He held me tight.

"You have drunk deep from the cup of sorrow.
Now I give you to drink from the cup of joy.
I will stay with you to keep it filled.
But you must not forget to drink from it."

I hold Him close
and drink His cup.
I gulp it down
and fill my soul.

No comments: