Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Oct. 25-31, 2010

Mon.-Nice day at home. Susan sick. Michael home. It made me miss homeschooling. Washing, cleaning, book work, correspondence. Finished 'Turn Toward the Wind-Embracing Change in Your Life" by Dale Hanson Bourke. Good book. Started to read "Prayer" by Richard Foster, at the recommendation of a friend. Truly a wonderful book. Read some to Phil last night as we were going to sleep. Also reading Andrew Murray's devotional book on prayer. I am thankful for books. I am thankful for my children. I am thankful for Phil.

Tues.-Great day at school. Counting today, we have four more times to practice during class time for our Christmas program. Picked up Micah on the way home from Angie's house. He will be here until 7:45 and then I'll need to take him home. He is watching The Three Stooges and getting his exercise. Buddy continues to pee and poop all over the house. Refuses to go outside. Lots of little children will be here Friday and I am going to have to put him in his cage and wash the floors and keep him in there unless he is outside. He and Roco made out fine today at work. Phil had to take him since I wouldn't be home until after 4. He waited until he got inside the house to 'go'. I guess I should stop going on about this! I am thankful that he is a little dog so his deposits are littler than the big dogs. Good grief. I am thankful that I could make a cup of peppermint tea and take it to Susan in her class today. I am thankful that Dr. H. ruled it 'Be nice to Susan week' or was it 'month?'

Wed.-Another great day with the younger grades in music. For K/1 I played 'The Little Drummer Boy' on the piano and they had their wooden sticks and played the 'pa-rum-pa-pa-pums.' At the end of the song, I kept playing the 'drums' in different rhythms on the piano and they would mimic the rhythm with their sticks. They all were laughing so hard and it was great fun. Finished up the plans for 'Lessons and Carols'. Went to church in eve. Susan to youth group, I to Goodwill. Longwood small group was cancelled because the girls had conflicting responsibilities. Found 10 books at Goodwill. Came back to church and had some time to myself before picking up Susan. I am thankful for the glowing purple light in the dark holy room. I am thankful for the storms that kept me awake last night because I didn't want miss any of the wild wonder. I am thankful that Phil enjoyed my hyper gabbing also last night before the storms hit. Maybe the electrons in the air made me extra talkative. I am thankful for dear friends at church.

Thurs.-Hair cut pretty short. I'll like it in about 2 weeks. Fun art day with kids. Made origami boats with the 2nd graders. Mr. Titanic wanted me to put a hole in his boat and he watched it sink in the sink. Their boats were floating amidst plastic white palettes and paintbrushes I had soaking. Mrs. Jones took a video of the excited children surrounding the sink with their involved curiosity. She is going to try to get the video downloaded onto the school's website. The kids were trying to figure out ways to keep the boats from sinking. KL applied quite a bit of scotch tape to her boat and discovered it helped to keep it afloat longer. We also made origami drinking cups. I put some of those through the laminator and they would definitely work in a pinch. It was really so much fun. The K/l girls finally got a chance to paint their little playdough critters while the boys colored their stained glass harvest scene and read books with Mrs. K. Susan and I got coffee ice cream cones on the way home and I had a nice talk with Linds after we got home. She and a few other mothers and their children are coming out here tomorrow for a pumpkin field trip. I am trying to clean up the outside and inside and do some wash, etc. I am mostly concerned about our new dog and the fact that he doesn't understand that there are designated places to go to the bathroom on our property.
I am thankful for the incredible pastel sunrise this morning with its yellows, pinks, and blues and that Susan captured its beauty in her camera. I am thankful that God really does answer prayer. I am thankful that Susan may soon get those guitar lessons she has been longing for.

Fri.-Field Trip for Lindsay and girls and some of their friends here on the farm. Diane and her two sons, Adina and Makenzie, Dawn and Danielle and the cousins all showed up around 9. They checked out the insides of pumpkins and learned all kinds of things. Pumpkin cutting was made easier by Michael's willing Cutco knives. Alli was here to help me and we did a craft with the children using paper plates and brown ribbon and orange duct tape and black markers. They took home their finished paper plate pumpkin at the end of their excursion. I gave them gator rides and zipped Adi inside my sweatshirt to keep her warm. I looked about 2 years pregnant. They had a picnic lunch in the front lawn as they sat on Mexican blankets and basked in the sun. It really was a great day. I rested with Susan, Michael, and Monk in the afternoon. In the eve. Susan and I picked up Lindsay and the girls and we went to New Life for the Ladie's conference. Debbie Calvert was our speaker. It was great. She spoke about Twinkies and paper dolls and how too often we allow people to insert a different filling in us than God's original best. Also, we allow people to tell us who we are and we allow them to 'dress' us in paper clothing with tabs that don't work instead of accepting ourselves with God's original wardrobe that He bestowed on us. Amy Mast came home with us and we had to run to Walmart to get Buddy a new leash and I ran into Carleen and scared her badly twice. It was a good night. Got home around 11.
I am thankful that Carleen doesn't get mad. She just laughs almost as hard as I do.
I am thankful for my daughter, who loved what she was hearing at the conference, and wished that more of her friends were there.
I am thankful for the precious time I had today with Adi and Emma and their sweet mama and all of their friends.
I am thankful for Alli's help and how good she is with children and for Michael's willingness to go get Susan mid-day from school due to an early dismissal.

Sat.-Woke up late since I forgot to push the knob on my alarm to 'set'. Phil went to wake Amy and Susan up. They were out in the camper, braving the elements, dressed in warm socks, warm clothes, and hats. We got to Lindsay's on time to pick them up and went to New Life for the Ladie's Conference. Gil is in Va. Beach running a something K and needed their vehicle. The teaching today was really great and I will probably write more about it later. I would guess that we had about 125 women there, give or take 10 either way. I felt jealous for the women. That might not be the right word, but I longed for them to receive all that God had for them. I wanted the same for myself and especially for Susan and those her age. If they can grasp these truths at this age, they will be able to relate to the world with confidence, and be God's ambassador for His country in our world that needs Him so desperately. We had a prayer time after the teaching and I am so thankful for the beautiful women who prayed for my daughter. I am thankful for Judy's phone call this evening and for the precious friend that she is to all of our family. I am thankful that the Freeman, Phil, and Philip each were successful in hunting today. It is 8:30 in the eve. and Phil, Philip, and Michael are out butchering. It will be nice to have venison roasts to smother in horseradish and slow cook all day. The meat melts in your mouth and tastes scrumptulious served over mashed potatoes.
I am thankful for a hot bath and a good book to read in a cold house. The Hardy Furnace hasn't been started up yet. Maybe my nose will finally get warm. It's been cold all day. I am thankful that God paints the sky with different types of brushes and different types of paints. Sometimes, He uses watercolors; sometimes oils or acrylics. When the school kids show me their art work, I try to really look at it, and tell them how wonderful it is. Every child is an artist. So, when God shows me His art work, I try to really look at it and tell Him how wonderful it is and what I especially like about it. It seems to me that He's been outdoing Himself with His art work during this fall season. The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth His handiwork. They really do.

Sun.-Wonderful morning at church. Kid's choir sang. Baptism. Good company-we sat near the back with the Banton's, Good worship, and Good word. Took pictures of the Chi Alpha baptism. Both Gil and Lindsay were in the baptismal with the student. PJosh baptized a little red head who could barely touch bottom. She kept holding her breath before it was time. One little guy changed his mind about being baptized because the water was cold so PLou adjusted and gave him a little sprinkle and a few years to change his mind. Pastor Frank exposed another wives tale-"God just wants us to be happy." When people base their life on this misconception, they willingly leave their spouse for another if their marriage is going through an unhappy time because 'God just wants me to be happy.' I have heard people say this and have seen them do this and I have also witnessed them come to their senses and refer to themselves as being 'deceived' during that time. Wives Tales are full of deception.
PF gave some OT illustrations.
Joseph was probably not happy when he was sold into slavery nor when he was put into prison, but God gave him grace and favor in both situations which was better than fickle happiness any day. Esther found grace and favor with the king. She also had a good mentor who advised her well. She was not necessarily happy later, when she risked her life to save her people, but God gave her strength in the midst of her fear which showed itself in courageous action. Ruth found grace and favor in the eyes of Boaz. She followed good advice as well and was in the right field at the right time. She probably wasn't happy before all this because her husband had died and she and her mother in law had come back to Naomi's homeland full of sorrow. But God gave her grace and strength and she found favor with God and man in the process of loyal obedience.
All of these people gave their best and sought the good of others first. They looked for guidance in the right places and maintained a teachable spirit.
Even when we are not happy-even if life is not enjoyable, we can still grow from grace to grace, glory to glory, and strength to strength, and often, we grow most in difficult situations.

God does not want us to enjoy life if we are living in sin and when we are outside of His favor.
We are not called to be happy, we are called to be holy.
Solomon says we are to enjoy all things but remember that nothing is certain.
One day we might be hungry. Another day we might be full.
One day we may be rich. Another day we may be poor.
If we learn to be content in whatever season of life we are in,
then we will live in the grace of God.
He has promised to never leave us or forsake us.
We may be poor in spirit or hungry or full of grief...
If we didn't experience these difficulties in life,
we wouldn't experience the blessings of this difficulty,
for blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
We wouldn't know Him as Comforter,
if we never had sorrow.
If He comforted us in one sorrow,
He will comfort us in the next.
So what do we do?
We delight ourselves in the Lord.
We seek first His kingdom.
It is then we will experience the favor and grace of God and man.
We delight ourselves in Him and seek His Kingdom
and when we do this,
we will experience His steadiness because He never changes.
We won't be subject to the fleeting whims of happiness.
We will be like rocks on which He can build His church.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil, Susan, and I had lunch with Freeman and Alli at the Chinese Restaurant.
Then we came home and took a nap.
Jordan, Philip, and Michael made some delicious lunch of their own here,
using ground venison, noodles, cheese, peppers, onions and tortillas.
They bought their own ingredients and had a good time.
They watched 'Evan Almighty' and 'Mrs. Doubtfire' in the afternoon
while I blogged and made caramel popcorn and Susan texted Makenzie.
Janelle called and brought Micah over
to trick or treat. He was dressed like ghost and wanted to scare me
so I obliged. Lucky for him, I had just pulled the caramel popcorn
out of the oven so he got a bagful. They were headed to Second Ave.
in Farmville to go Trick or Treating. I told him to look out
for two little girls named Madison and Makenzie.
I took a walk before the sun went down.
I am thankful for this day of rest.
I am thankful for the way Adi and Emma 'fought' over Phil
in church today. They liked the pictures he drew.
I am thankful that Micah lets me snuggle with him
on my chair, howbeit, hyperactive rocking style today.

No comments: