Monday, October 11, 2010

Hertzler Doings-Oct.11-17, 2010

Mon.-Up early. Studying. Not feeling well today. Fourth day of eating really healthy after taking a 23 pound break and I'm detoxing and feel like I have the flu. Alli called and then came over to keep us company. We watched 1 1/2 movies and made popcorn and a blueberry pie. (Didn't eat the pie.) Didn't do much of anything else today.
I am thankful that Alli is so easy to be around.
I am thankful that God has helped me eat well for 4 days.
I am thankful that sometimes, He lets me see that I am 'all wrong' and that I can do nothing without Him. I am thankful that He doesn't leave me in the pit of despair.


Tues.-"God will make a way when there seems to be no way." It's nice to be hearing a song again. Great day at school. Taught music to 5/6, 7/8, 9-12, and 2nd grade reading. After we did some theory, zoomed through the composer songs, and sang their Christmas songs, we sang out of the big red books. We sang "In the Good old Summertime," "My Grandfather's Clock," "Hokey Pokey," "She'll be comin' round the mountain," etc. I think my dad taught me almost every song in the book. We'd sing them on the trips we took around the U.S. Sometimes, my dad would make up songs on the spot. He'd use words from the billboards and make them rhyme and I would try to sing a split second behind him and guess where he was going musically and lyrically. His voice was a bit raspy from overuse with his auctioneering but he could sing right on key. My mother can sing a beautiful soprano, alto and high tenor and her voice is clear and sweet. One time, Phil won a trip to the Dominican with a lumber company so we went and spent some days at a resort. One night, they called me up to compete in a singing game. The idea was to see who knew the most songs. I went through the repertoire of fun songs, hymns, homemade songs, etc. that were stored in my song bank, and yes, I did win. They finally gave up and stopped the game.
I made two kinds of soup when I came home plus a salad. I am not exhausted like I have been. Yesterday I felt like I had the flu. I think I was detoxing. I've been eating healthier since Friday and I've lost 2 pounds. Please God, help me stick with it. I want to have strength to do those things I need, want, and am called to do.

I am thankful that when we came home from school and saw that Phil wasn't here, Susan said with disappointment in her voice, "Oh, dad's not home. I love daddy. When I get married, I want to marry someone just like him...all mafia-like in high school and all calm when he's older." I had to sit in the car for a moment and think about how wonderfully sweet that was. She made me fall in love with him all over again.
I am thankful that these good old fun songs have a way of restoring the soul.
I am thankful for friends at school, friends at church, friends in the family, friends in the community, friends in Pa. and friends at home.

Wed.-"The Heavens declare You're glorious, glorious..." Good music day at school. K-4 today. Lots of fun with some wild and crazy teachers. Took Susan to church in eve. Met with small group at Longwood. I am thankful for Phil's loving kindness. I am thankful for the beautiful gray skies and changing leaves. I am thankful for the little children at school and for all those who love them. Snap! Crackle! Pop! Mice Krispies! Three down. More to go!


Thurs.-"...she's your tootsie wootsie in the good ol' summer time..." I love when that line comes up in the song and the kids say, "What's a tootsie wootsie?" and I ask, "What do you think it is?" and they figure it out. One high school walking dictionary said it was one's darling. He always gets my vocabulary questions right. I can never think of a way to improve on his answers, nor do I want to. (This should be under Tues. actually.) Worked on Lessons and Carols program during free time. Listened to Bach. I don't like his music all that much. I wonder if he had ADHD. Had to turn him off. Discovered I like Brahms. He's more peaceful. The K/1 boys painted their hardened play dough critters in art today. One little boy was working so hard on his snake. He was the last one at the table and he was giving it his very best. Then he dropped his snake and it broke in three different places. He had to cry. I picked it up and glued it back together with the ever-ready glue gun. I asked him if he still loved his snake. He said yes. I said that God made us and loves us even when we're broken and then He glues us back together again. He understood and was happy once again. For second grade art class we took bread dough and made sculptures and baked them and ate them hot out of the oven with butter. It made the school smell too good and next time, I will make sure I have extra rolls ready for the hungry teachers. Susan and I went and got our weekly hand dipped ice cream cone at Country Charm. Yes, I am eating healthier. Yes, today I ate my art project and had some ice cream. But I also ate celery and lentil/spinach soup. ( I also ate some of that wonderful pasta with pesto sauce again.)


This eve. Freeman, Alli, and Phil went to pick up two German Shepherd dogs from some friends of ours who knew about them. They did not make the police force and we got them for free. Alli and Freeman took the lighter colored one who was less rowdy and Phil has his hands full with the more boisterous one. It amazes me how quickly the dog has responded to Phil already. We're thinking of a good name for him. Angel seems to welcome the male attention but Roxy's not so sure. "I don't THINK so.." she seems to be saying. Michael made some burgers and Freeman and Alli got to have a quick sandwich while they worked with their new dog, Diesel, in the yard. Michael and Jordan went to Walmart to get some dog food, a choke chain, and a leash. Susan posted a little poem she wrote on face book. "Because of my daddy, I'm alive; Because of my daddy, I will survive; Because of my daddy, I am so happy; Because of my daddy, I have new puppy! I love you, daddy!"

I am thankful for the sermon I found laying around yesterday. Like Ruth, I gleaned it from the (chapel) field. I am thankful for what it did for me. I am thankful for the excitement and hope a new dog brings to the family. I am thankful for the little boy conversations I heard today as they talked about God and His ways while they drew pictures of spider man. I am thankful for the song in chapel with the words, "He breaks the power of cancelled sin..." I am thinking about what that means.

Fri.-Janelle called yesterday,"I forgot I had a dog and signed up for a field trip. Can you let him out tomorrow?" The first time I met Buddy, he growled at me and backed away. That was a first for me,(babies and animals usually like me) but today, when I let him outside and walked him around with a leash, I think he changed his mind about me. I sat on the porch in the sun for awhile and he wanted to be up on my lap to snuggle. He's just the cutest little thing. I'd spell what kind of dog he is but I'm afraid I might spell it wrong and use some bad slang in the process. I picked up Susan at school a few minutes early and she raced around her room at home, packing for the youth retreat. I had her at the church on time and watched her crawl into a van that had people's belongings blocking the entire back window. Later in the evening, Phil and I went to Baine's to meet up with some of the Chi Alpha gang in order to celebrate Gil's 30th birthday. He saw us in the meeting room up top and asked what we were doing there and we said that we came to hear the music. He said that he was glad we were there because he wanted us to share some things if that was okay. Soon Lindsay and the girls showed up with balloons and chocolate cupcakes with swirling orange icing. Then Gil understood. It was a fun evening. Bluegrass music accompanied the discussion on work ethics and having one's identity in Christ rather than in what one does. He asked us several questions and said so many kind things about us that I felt inclined to add a disclaimer. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, however, and Gil's eyes see the best in people, and therefore, he sees the best in us, and I am thankful.

Perhaps now would be a good time to say that although we have difficulties and 'issues' to deal with in our lives, I tend to only allude to them because I am writing a memoir of good memories for our family. Bad memories have a way of being remembered all on their own. But in my heart, I am always looking for the good memory to cherish, to bring like a treasure into my house. And so I record the pleasantries, because words are eternal, and there are some things I never want to forget.

I am thankful for Gil and Lindsay and Adi and Emma.
I am thankful for the 'absorbing' that Adi and enjoyed last night while she was snuggling in my arms.
I am thankful for the town of Appomattox and the quaint book store on Main Street that takes me back in time.

Sat.-Nice long study time this morning. Woke up at 5 when Phil, Freeman, and Alli left for Pa. Prepared for SS-Journey class for tomorrow. Subbing for Diana. Looked up many verses on the names of God and wrote down why the writer knew Him by that name. David knew God as his Salvation because He needed deliverance from his enemies and God showed Himself strong. I am going to ask each person to pick a name from the list and share a personal story about how God revealed Himself to them by that name. I will also ask them to consider why the writer referred to God by that name and to then share their ideas.

Cleaned, washed, cooked, went with Philip over the hill to feed Diesel-Alli and Freeman's dog, blogged, walked, talked with Judy and felt 'normal' again, got my back wrenched by our dog as I tried to get him away from the rabbit cages before one of them dropped over with a heart attack, etc. Boys are mowing and cleaning up. Now I know what happened to all my missing mugs.

Phil and his gang went to see my Mother and then visited with Joe and Karen a bit and then went off to the Weaver's Orchard Festival where Phil told me via the phone that he was having the best day of his life, and then off to his parents to visit his Aunt Mert. She is with them for 6 days. She lives in England. When Phil was in Heathrow for a layover on his trip to Kenya, Aunt Mert travelled by train for 3 hours to come and visit him. They stood for an hour and a half visiting outside the airport. I guess both of them were tired of sitting. Phil is close to his aunts and uncles. Maintaining family ties is very important to the Masts/Hertzler's. I am glad Alli will get a chance to see the cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. again. I can't handle the 24 hour back and forth quick trip. I need a day in between to literally get some feeling back into my body. But I wish I could have gone as well. I am looking forward to the day when Michael gets his pilots license and buys a plane. What I am really looking forward to is that day when we can all be together in Heaven. No more good byes. I am always a bit homesick for my family and friends in Pennsylvania. If we moved back up, I know I would be homesick for my family and friends in Virginia. But mostly, if the truth be told, I am homesick for Heaven. Every day, I see Heaven on earth. Everyday, I experience Heaven on earth. And every day, my homesickness for heaven grows stronger.
I am thankful that Philip changed his plans to make things easier for me. He went and got Susan from church and also spent the night here in order to take me to church tomorrow (and also brought us home from church instead of eating out with his friends.) Philip is one of the kindest people I know. I am thankful that Susan had such a great time at the youth retreat. I am thankful for Leon Z. and that God kept him from death. He fell and hit his head hard on the concrete floor while he was at the same youth retreat. His skull is fractured and his brain was bleeding in 3 places. He is in the ICU. I am thankful for a day at home with no vehicle to tempt me to run around and therefore I had time to clean my house. I am sorry that I missed the CCA chili cook off and auction, however.

Sun.-Sunday School (Journey) went really well. Pastor Alvin led worship and Pastor Rob preached. Adi sat with our family and took her nap in my arms and Susan's arms and lounged around on Philip's lap after she woke up. Lindsay said that Adi started talking about me when she woke up that morning at 5. Pastor Rob gave us our serotonin's for the week. He spoke from Luke 5. ("Deep Water-Launch Out into the Deep") Jesus wanted to teach the multitudes to He asked Simon Peter to put his boat out from the shore a little so He could preach from there. When He was finished teaching, he told Peter to go out into the deep and cast his nets over the side. Peter said that they had done that all night and got nothing but would do it anyway since Jesus told him to. He caught so many fish that he needed other boats to come and help him bring in the catch. It was then he called Jesus 'Lord' and said, 'Depart from me, I am a sinful man.' It is one thing to call Jesus 'Teacher'. It is another thing to call Him 'Lord.' Jesus asked him to do what he had already done in his own strength. But, now, Jesus asked him to do it in His. The mundane preceded the miraculous. It is doing the mundane, accompanied with the spiritual disciplines of Bible study, prayer, meditation, worship, fasting, serving, etc. that place us in the position where we can receive the miraculous. Jesus knew it is in the deep waters where the miraculous happens. Other truths about deep waters: it is the safest place to be when the storms come-let your anchor down and ride out the storm; (storms reveal your spiritual depth) ; one cannot rely on previous experiences-more faith is required; more is at stake-it is easier to drown; more is unknown. Jesus didn't keep them in deep waters. He gave them a great blessing out there and when they hauled it in, they left it all to follow Him. What will you leave to follow Him? The Samaritan woman left her water pot at the well. (and her lifestyle) Zachaus left his greed. (and his fortune) Lazarus left his grave. (and its safety) How about you? Will you leave your emptiness, brokenness, bitterness, laziness, addiction, selfishness, pride, greed, skepticism, blame, doubt, and fear? Will you leave what you know for what you do not know? Will you go into the deep with Him?

Phil, Freeman and Alli got home sometime after 4:00. I read some Sherlock Holmes and basked in the autumn sun earlier in the afternoon. Phil's cousin, Ed, sent a trunk full of apple cider and delicious apples home with him. I made some apple cinnamon muffins. Chace, Kelsey, and Christi came in the house and Michael, Susan, and I sat with them around our table eating chocolate cake, muffins, and milk before their real meal with some other friends down at the river. Called Missi after Phil got home to confirm whether I was coming to spend time with her at the hospital and she told me that Leon was being dismissed from the hospital after successfully eating some mashed potatoes and keeping them down. Great news. Thank you God! Now to keep him still. Watched one half a movie with Phil...what was it called? Something about a nuclear bomb on the U.S. soil, etc. I am reading Revelations and some of the things in the movie seemed pretty real.
I am thankful that the traveler's made it safely home. They travelled on I-95 and at one point went 6 miles in half an hour. I am thankful for the cool nights and warm days. I am thankful that Nick received his father back home for his 16th birthday present.

No comments: