Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hertzler Doings~Sept.5-11, 2011

Mon.-Overcast sky. Washed many loads of wash, cleaned up the house, and unpacked. Michael came home for supper and did his wash and retrieved his towel. He and Susan played Monopoly and we gave her suggestions for her audition tomorrow. I found the story he suggested on-line. The idea of the story is this. A miserly man wanted his wife to bury his money with him when she died. When he died, she put a shoebox into his coffin. Her friend was abhorred that she would bury his money with him. The wife said, "I am a good Christian and I cannot lie. I promised him. I deposited his money in my account and wrote him a check." Philip bought 30 head of cattle today. Phil's out working in the rain and lightning. ///I am thankful for the happy surprise of Michael's visit and his desire to spend time with Susan. I am thankful for a day to catch up. I am thankful for the resilient spirits God gives to the men around here. I am thankful for such an amazing week in Pa.

Tues.-The cattle were bawling all night long-missing their mama's. Little sleep. Fighting fears of future fires and horrible 'what if's.' The rain helped me relax and calm down. Water trumps fire. Had a great day with Susan. We ran out to Farmville for her first Biology course with Dr. T. and about 6 or 7 other homeschoolers. I ran some errands and came back to Faith Bible to observe the drama try-outs. We celebrated her first official day of school by going to the Japanese Restaurant at Sun Chase. After we put groceries away, we crashed in front of one of the free videos that were offered today on the back pew. (Stuart Little, Heidi with Shirley Temple, Pollyanna, Charlotte's Web, and Parent Trap.) I thought Micah would enjoy these. Phil and Susan had never seen Pollyanna. But they act like they have. The movie shaped my life growing up and has helped me to always try to find the good-play the glad game with life. ///I am thankful that I got to catch up with Judy at Walmart. I am thankful for this new segment of life-being involved with the Farmville homeschool co-op, renewing some old friendships and making new ones. I am thankful that Susan thoroughly enjoyed her day.

Wed.-Went to Appomattox Court House in the morning to pay court cost and plead guilty to an overdue inspection sticker. I just don't notice these things and Phil didn't either this time. Went to CCA and picked up a Latin book for Susan to review. Had a nice time visiting with Marcie. Picked up some groceries. Tried to catch up on blogging when I got home. Picked up Kelli S. on way to Women's Ministry meeting. She and Susan hung out and after the meeting, we met Michelle at the new frozen yogurt place-'flip flops'-right across from McD's. After saying good-bye to Michelle, the girls and I went back to church. There was an 'extravaganza' Royal Rangers and Missionettes award evening complete with roving lights and limos. Pastor Frank and Lisa officiated the evening and they reminded me of the host and hostess of the Miss America Pageant in 'Miss Congeniality.' I hope he eventually got to drive one of the limo's. It was alot of fun and I had to think about heaven and the awards that will be given to each person for their deeds. I liked the ending when confetti was puffed out over all of us on the ground floor and little lights were swirling over the ceiling of the sanctuary. Kelli, Susan, and I went to Walmart afterwards and then we took Kelli home before heading home ourselves.///I am thankful for a Children's Pastor who goes all out to honor what is important-the children and their efforts. I am thankful for dark chocolate frozen yogurt. I am thankful for Phil.

Thurs.-Last night I was honest with those who asked me how I was regarding the fire, etc. and I asked them to pray, because I wasn't sleeping. Fearful of another fire. Checking out noises. Not resting. And then, I bought more smoke alarms at Walmart to do my part. The boys didn't have one over in their room. And doing what I could in the natural, added to the prayers of the saints, well, I slept like a baby and I slept in as well. I feel like I could sleep all day. Having a hard time switching into the new school year schedule after the fire, and being away, and being exhausted, etc. Went to the chiro. Susan's been studying. We watched 'Heidi' over lunch. I made some English Toffee for the ladies meeting tomorrow eve. Caught up with 'Hertzler Doings' finally. Making a big pot of vegetable soup for supper and bagging some gift bags from donated gifts. Hoping to have a quiet time and do exercises before the day is over. Getting up late throws my schedule. Phil went to work without bandages for the first time since he got burned. He sounded so cheerful today. Has more work lined up with the Abbey. Janelle called. The decisions been made. She is homeschooling Micah-starting tomorrow. She came over to collect some books for him to read. He's going to be involved with a homeschool co-op every other week and I hope to have him a half a day a week. We'll watch Science videos and go to the river and read 'Little House on the Prairie' books. Everyone is excited about this in our family.///I am thankful for Micah's freedom from the chair and piles of paper work. I am thankful that the resulting situation will give me time with my favorite little man. I am thankful that he still tries to sit beside me on the easy chair, even though it's getting harder to fit because one of us is getting larger. I am thankful for the gaping hole in his mouth where his baby tooth once was. I am thankful that Naomi called.

Fri.-Another good night of sleep. Got up early and had time to read and exercise. Made a huge pot of vegetable soup using brussel sprouts, canned tomatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, celery, spinach, arugula, black eyed peas, turnips, potatoes, garlic, parsley, turnip greens, collards, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, kale, and I think that's it. Susan did her school work and made supper for Phil, Philip, Michael, Chace, and Eric. This will all go under 'cooking' under 'Home Ec. She made oven fried sliced potatoes, sausage biscuits from scratch, corn, sausage balls in a sweet and sour sauce, and candy bar cookies-chocolate chip cookie dough with candy bars from BB's cut up into it instead of chocolate chips. I missed out. Alli came over and we went to help set up for the "Girlfriends Expo" at church. Seventy some women came, bringing finger foods. We had four generations mingling with each other at the tables and questions to answer to promote understanding of the differences and similarities between the generations of Builders, Boomers, GenX-ers, and Millennials Lisa shared about how the WM group met and discussed the different generations and their needs and strengths and how we came up with the new name and focus for Women's Ministry. We had affinity group tables set up and the women browsed and signed up for the fall sessions. I am going to be involved with a book club discussion on 'A Thousand Gifts' on Wed. nights and on Wed. mornings I'll be a mentor mom for Mom's and More. The WM team had on their black tee shirts with the word 'Embrace' featured on the front and back. Alli designed them and they look sharp. The t-shirts are available for purchase for $15. Alli and I got home here around 11, just as Chace was bringing Michael back from catfishing. They remarked about Susan's great supper before they said 'good-night.' ///I am thankful for the women at New Life. I am thankful that Susan did a good job of cleaning up after supper. I am thankful for the mighty force of team work.

Sat.-Did the boys wash today since they didn't have time. Cleaned the house. Went to the Lapp wedding in the afternoon. It was good to see many of our Pa. friends. It was a beautiful wedding. Philip stayed until 1:00 in the morning, having fun with his friends and helping them to clean up. ///I am thankful for Philip's kind words to Susan today. "You are the kindest person I know and Jenny is the second. You should get to know her." Jenny's oldest brother got married today. I am thankful for the plane that flew over during the wedding. They were about 2 min. early and buzzed us during the prayer instead of the Recessional. I am thankful for the richness of our heritage and for the reminder to get together with our 'old' friends whenever the occasion arises.

Sun.-Happy 23rd Birthday to Philip! I made him a chocolate marvel cake yesterday with cut up snickers bars in between the layers. It's even better if it sits for a day. In church today, we honored the students of all ages, and also the first responders. Meredith's group was at church today and received a standing ovation. We remembered 9/11 and the lives that were lost and the reasons they were lost. We sang a song today that was new but it felt familiar. The words were, "Blow, Mighty Breath of God, Move upon this place..Move in power and grace..Let your wind blow...Let your fire fall.." And I thought about how the hurricane winds blew on our hay and the friction caused fire to burn up our hay barn. Everything that was wood, hay, and stubble, burned up. And everything of metal was not consumed. When we sing a song like this, we are asking God to blow His breath and create friction amidst the things in our lives that can be burned. And after the perishable is burned, the precious remains. We had no gold in our barn, but it is true, that the bent metal is going to be cashed in, and we will get some money back from what was not consumed. How much better it is when what remains after the fire of God is a faith made out of precious gold. After the first fire we had in November of last year, I thought, "First the natural, then the spiritual. I wonder what is going to happen." And now I wonder the same. Shaking. Wind. Fire. What can be shaken, will be shaken. What can be blown away, will be blown away. And what can be burned, will be burned. On Christ the solid Rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand. Help us, God our Father. He is moved with compassion to remove the distractions from our lives so we can be close to Him and know His goodness and love. Because of the blood of Christ, we are separated from sin and from what is common, and that makes us holy. The shaking, blowing, and burning are sanctification's work, as God works in our lives practically, where we are positionally. Pastor Frank said it better than this but I am trying to convey some of his words. God loves us as much as He loves Jesus. His kingdom is a 'now' kingdom and He judges the things that are 'now' separating me from loving Him. The more we understand His love for us, the more we can love Him and love others. Just as the lovers in the book, 'Song of Solomon', were ravished with each others love, so Christ is overwhelmed with His love for us and the beauty He sees in us.

We got to hold little Hannah in church for awhile. She wanted Phil. Philip held her for a little while and I thought that was a nice birthday gift for him. He told Emma that he has no little girls to love him now. She said, "Well, come up here and Adi and I will love you." They called him today because it was his birthday. (Adi and Emma gave each other quite the hair cuts yesterday.) Susan got to hold Hannah too. Philip met with some of his Calvary friends for lunch and basketball. Michael went to the college luncheon and then to the guys house. Susan hung out with Kelly Gibbs and then went to the musical information meeting and human video and small groups. Phil's meeting her now at Calvary Chapel. Charity drives her there. So, Phil and I ate some vegetable soup and salad for lunch and made popcorn and watched 'The trail of the Pink Panther.' Then we took a nap and Freeman and Alli came and we almost missed them. The guys came back and so we got to have some of Philip's birthday cake and butterfinger ice cream. Susan will have to get some when she comes back. Freeman said that I could win prizes with this cake. I think the recipe already won prizes because it's from Taste of Home. Michael headed back to Liberty tonight and Philip headed to an early bedtime. ///I am thankful for another great night of sleep last night. We overslept in the morning and got to S.S. late. I am thankful for the church service this morning. I am thankful for the way God bends over backward to keep me from becoming discouraged every time I am headed in that direction.

No comments: