Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hertzler Doings~Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2011

Mon.-I thought maybe I should stay home this week and not go to Pa. but Phil said, "Go. I won't even be here." And so we went and it was nice to get away from the smoldering fire that burned all last night. I kept looking out and seeing the orange flames. Before we pulled out to go, Phil said, "Don't hug me; I'll hug you." His burns are getting more defined and are worse than we first thought. The guys went to Richmond to work and some others checked on the fire for us during the day. Susan and I stopped at a mall and got some end of season buys from JCPenneys. We arrived at my friend, Diane H's around 3, just as we planned. They had to boil any water they used and their electricity was turned off deliberately for 2 hours later in the day. She made roasted vegetables tossed with pesto sauce and serve it over penne pasta. Also had crusty cheese bread, salad, tea, and tandy cakes. We laughed so hard we could barely breathe as Susan explained to Diane the difference between cows, heifers, steers, and bulls. I got some things straightened out in my own mind. They are all cows. Heifers are girl cows. Steers and bulls are boy cows but the bulls have more fun. Zach called as did Diane's mother and I talked with them both and they both said "I love you", etc. Zach is at main campus Penn State and is studying industrial engineering. Meg is finishing up two degrees and working on her masters all at the same time. Caleb is in 10th grade I think and gives us hugs when he leaves or goes to bed. ///I am thankful for the jacuzzi bathtub in Diane's master bathroom and that there was electricity to run it. I am thankful for the way Diane's mother makes me feel like a million bucks. So encouraging and full of praise. I am thankful for an inground pool and a cushy outdoor lounge chair and the way Diane tucked a blanket all around me and had me 'sleep' while she and Susan went inside and made supper.

Tues.-Woke up at 6 and came down and had coffee with Diane. This is a time we always look forward to and we quickly tell each other anything we want the other to know before anyone else wakes up. Meg joined us and then Susan, and we had bagels with all kinds of unusual cheese spreads and unique olives for breakfast. Diane helped Susan and I discern our personality types. Susan is choleric. I am melancholy with some sanguine but I am more phlegmatic than I earlier thought. I think it is the season of life. I'd rather have peace than be the life of the party. Diane and I have known each other before we had children. They came to the church our mother church planted in Downingtown and we've known each other's children all of our lives. We pick up where we left off since neither of us are phone people and neither of us make the other feel guilty for not keeping in better contact. Left Diane's and went to my mother's where Rosalee and Karen spent a few hours with us. That was nice. Susan and I headed for Morgantown and got a kidsized waffle cone at Rita's and then went to Jim and Deb's and visited awhile. Mom and Dad were at Bible Study. Went over to Joe and Karen's and played with Jonathan while they finished up their Bible Study. Jonathan is a people lover. He loves everyone at 7 months. He makes grunting sounds, lik he's clearing his throat. He looks like he is about to get his crawling act together.///I am thankful that I was in bed around 10. I am thankful for family and friends that are a permanent fixture in my heart. I am thankful that Phil seems to be doing okay.

Wed.-Spent the day with Naomi. Had good times with Ashley and Chrissy before heading to the outlets. Naomi has an anointing for shopping. Van Heusen had terrific sales. 70% off and then 30% off of that. I figured that was 100% off. She treated me to Red Robin where we got blue cheese burgers and endless fries. She took me to her counselling work center and showed me the offices. Lancaster County was really hit with this storm. Many are still out of electricity and some of the corn fields are laying flat down. Oh-first of all, Naomi bought humongous apple fritters and we had those with milk and took some into Mabe and his helper who were working on Zach's families roof in Lanc. City. Susan spent the day at Re-uzit with her Aunt Debra, Aunt Karen, and Teri M. She helped them make displays, etc. Debra had put back some things for both of us to try on and Susan found three pairs of jeans-(two aeropostale), a hat, shoes, etc. I went from Naomi's to Mother's and had a precious two hours alone with her. She's so beautiful. I stopped in to see Mom and Dad. Abby, Serena, and Michelle came up this week. Michelle is Karalee's wedding coordinator and the girls are having some time with mom and dad. I love mom's hair cut. She is just cute. Watched a little of America's Got Talent with Joe, Karen, and Jonathan. Talked with Phil. His burns are hurting him badly. I wish I was there to help him more.///I am thankful that Jonathan got his crawling act together today. I am thankful that although Joe's water was coming in brown today, they still have electricity. I am thankful that I feel so at home at Hertzler Hotel 8.

Thurs.-Susan and I stopped in to see Bev on our way to Mary W's. Susan loves to see everyone's surprise about how much she has grown. Mary served us tea and scones and then Susan watched a movie while Mary and I caught up on life, church, and her travels around the world, speaking to those who need hope. What a dear friend. Susan and I stopped in at BB's on the way home and stocked up on gum and hair products. Then we met Debra at Re-uzit where I tried on the pile of clothes she had put aside for me. She should be a personal shopper. I came away with several bags of clothing. Pearl had Bev and I over in the eve. around 7:30 and we had a great time, drinking tea, eating pretzels and watermelon, and sitting wrapped up with blankets on rocking chairs out on the front porch. Got home around 11.///I am thankful that as I sang, "Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me.." Jonathan hit his tupperware lid and container together in perfect rhythm. I am thankful that Phil's burned skin has come off and that he has a new layer of skin growing and that he is in less pain. I am thankful for dear, close friends and family.

Fri.-Busy day. Met Naomi at Yoder's and then went to her place to see her grandbaby. What a beautiful child. Naomi served us a delicious lunch of sandwiches, chips, and watermelon. Then we headed over to Anne's to see the new developments in her house and to snuggle with David. He slaps low five's and high five's and when he was going towards the stereo, she said, "No." He stopped. She said, "Come." And he scooted over the blanket and came to her. He's 7 months old too. Then we picked up mother and went to my sister Rosalee's. My brother, Abe, and his wife, Karen were there. Abie tore his Achilles tendon a day or two ago and has to wait two weeks for surgery due to medication in his system and his busy schedule. He was cheerful and talkative and we had a great time over pizza, reminiscing about family vacations, etc. Karen asked me which of my Hertzler sis-in-laws I am closest to and I had no idea. I said, "They are all so very wonderful. I like them all." Which is completely true. Got back to Hotel 8 around 9:15. Called Phil. He was making a list of losses from the fire to be able to hand in to the insurance adjuster. Burns are feeling better. It takes him a long time to dress them.///I am thankful for the curly haired blue-eyed little boy of God's redemptive work. I am thankful for go-getter babies and for snuggly babies and the way they are perfectly formed for the work God has for them. I am thankful for the effort my family took to get together with Susan and I this eve.

Sat.-Went with Debra to Weaver's Orchard to work on centerpieces for Karalee's wedding. Met Suzie-Brandon's girlfriend, and Luke, Katie's boyfriend. The orchard grove was all set up with a tent and tables. Chairs were lined up on the dock overlooking the lake/pond. Landscaping surrounded the wedding scene. Beautiful mums and other flowers. Came home and washed the car, rested, and got ready. Phil, Philip, and Michael got there around 4. They spent about an hour with Andy and Lucille. They have experienced 6 fires in their lifetime. I remember two of them vividly. My favorite parts about the wedding? The violin/guitar duet. Karalee, walking down the aisle with her proud papa, saying 'hi' to everyone as she floated down the stairs in her ivory strapless dream of a wedding dress, hair up with diamonds glittering in her dark tresses. Completely beautiful and at ease. Both fathers getting emotional during the parental blessing time. Brandon and Katie singing while Paul played. Linda's face, as she stood there in her classy navy blue, watching her loved ones drawing nearer. Little David reaching for Michael so he could get to me and chew on my necklace. Hugging Alli after not seeing her for 'such a long time.' Visiting with friends and family. Taking a family photo for Christmas in the dress up area.///I am thankful for the way Karalee wriggled with delight when Jeff described himself in his vows as her 'soon to be lover.' I am thankful for the purity of her expression and for the ripple of laughter that grew louder and louder as the observers 'caught' what happened. I am thankful for the delicious wedding fare-chicken cordon bleu, gourmet potatoes, corn?, green beans, salad, bread, pie, and ice cream. I am thankful for the floating candles in the pond and for children celebrating with sparklers after the sun went down.

Sun. Had a breakfast of coffee cake and fresh peaches at Joe and Karens. Went to mother's for church. Alli, Freeman, Philip, and Michael joined us. We asked mother if she had a sermon and she said, "No..!" and so Phil asked her if she had a verse and she said, "Casting all your care upon Him for He careth for you." Perfect for all of us. We sang two Hertzler/Mast Christmas songs for her because I've always wanted her to hear them. "Glory be to God" and "There were shepherds abiding in the Fields." Then we sang Amazing Grace and Freeman led us in prayer. Too soon, we had to say Good-bye. We came back to Joe's and packed our things and went over to Jim and Deb's for a delicious lunch of burgers, hot dogs, salad, corn, butternut squash casserole, potato salad, apple crisp and ice cream, watermelon, salsa, chips, meadow tea, lemonade, etc. Tom's were all there and Paul's came a bit later. All there but Janelle and Micah and Jeff and Karalee. Charlie and Joyce brought Kelsey over and we took her home with us, leaving around 2:30. Michael and Philip left just a bit earlier and stopped in at Joanna Store, seeing the very person Michael had hoped to see on this trip up-Zach L. Meredith rode back home with Freeman and Alli. They checked out Cabela's before heading south. We got rather silly on the way home. Susan repeated, "I've been holdin' my love for a lo-o-ong time, Charlie." A quote from a movie that she and Phil have been making fun of ever since they heard it.///I am thankful that it only took us 5 1/2 hours to get home and we stopped several times. I am thankful that when I couldn't get settled in to sleeping, I just finally got up and checked emails, weather, facebook, etc. I am thankful for a wonderful week away. I am thankful to be home. The fire still smolders.

No comments: