Thursday, September 8, 2011

In One Week's Time

In one week's time,
our family experienced an earthquake,
a hurricane,
and a fire.

I think Elijah experienced all those things in one day.

He was running from trouble
and hid out in a cave.
Scared to death about the possibility
of dying.

"Elijah, what are you doing hiding in this cave?"
asked God.

"I have been hard at work for You
and I am the only one alive still working hard for You
and now they want to kill me too."

"Come outside the cave, Elijah," said God.

And strong wind came and beat upon the side of the mountain
and rocks were flying everywhere
before the Lord,
but the Lord wasn't in the strong wind.

And then, the earth shook,
and it was scary,
but God wasn't in the earthquake.

And then there was a fire,
and Elijah felt its heat,
but God wasn't in the fire.

And then, there was a still small voice
and Elijah came out of the cave
so he could hear it better.

"What are you doing here, Elijah?"
asked God.

And again,
Elijah told God how hard he had worked for him
and that because of his godly work,
there were those who wanted to kill him.

And God didn't tell him he was silly for being afraid.
He gave him jobs to do.
And Elijah did those jobs
and did more jobs for God after those jobs were finished.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this world,
there will be hurricanes, earthquake, and fires.

We might not find God in the strong winds
and shaking ground and fires flames.

But we will find God
in the still small voice.

I couldn't see Him in the earthquake, hurricane, or fire.

But I heard His still small voice as I sat on a job box
in another building, watching the fire men do their work.
He said,
"Watch what I will do. Watch for the good I will bring
from this destruction."

One of my sons heard, "If God is for you,
who can be against you."
The thought came almost as soon
as he first saw the fire eating up
labor, sweat, hay, and equipment.

And another loved one, watching, with tears streaming down his face,
repented of having critical thoughts of others.
And surely,
in that repentance,
the still small voice of God was heard.

A fireman came and sat beside my daughter
and asked her how she was.
She said, "I don't know."
And he said, "I know how you feel.
I was about your age when our family
experienced a fire."

And again,
the still small voice of God,
spoke compassion and understanding
through the voice of one
who took time to care.

My friend and her husband came in the early hours
of the morning.
After awhile we went into the house
and she sat with me in the dark
and sometimes we talked
and sometimes we didn't
and in that dark and quiet
I heard His voice as well.

"I am not in the hurricane,
or the earthquake,
or the fire.
But I am with you
in the strong winds,
and the shaking grounds,
and the fires of this life.
I stand before you
and behind you
and hem you in on every side.
My hand of blessing covers your head.
Don't be afraid.
I have work for you to do."

There is a real temptation to stay in the cave and hide
from the enemy of my soul.

I am intimidated by the quake, wind, and fire.

I like being safe and invisible.

But just like water trumps fire,
so God's voice trumps fear.

I will come out of my cave
so I can hear Him better,
and I will trust and obey Him
even though I am afraid.

1 comment:

Shanda said...

I am so sorry about the fire. I have just been catching up on your blog and had no idea. I pray you recover from all the loss and am thankful that you still hear God's voice in all this.