Monday, August 22, 2011

Hertzler Doings-Aug. 22-28, 2011

Mon.-Good day. Walked to the river with four dogs. When I sat down on the tree limb down there, they all wanted me to pet them. Washed 4 loads. Canned 4 quarts of tomato juice. Wrote up WM minutes. Had a nice talk with Lindsay and befriended the pastor's wife on face book where they are staying. Alli came over to walk after work and it's always nice to see her. Michael came home to attend to some car business and Phil and Philip came home as well. Susan enjoys her brothers so much. They were hungry for chocolate chip cookies so guess what we made them.///I am thankful for a good Monday. I am thankful for the 'gang' shirts/hoodies the guys made with their friends at a local clothing print shop. "Sons of Saints" with a smiling skull. Yeah. I am thankful for the possibility of having Susan take her biology course from a real doctor. I am thankful for the way Phil's gray hair sticks out around his cap and when he takes it off, he doesn't look gray at all. I am thankful that the white dove was there on top of the long barn today, as I was reading the Bible. Perhaps, he's come to stay.

Tues.-Great day. Met with Lori K. to brainstorm about Susan's year of homeschooling. Ordered some things on line. Around 2:00, while there, the house began to shake and tremble. I said, "Get outside." She went back in to see if her washer was off-kilter. It was a 6.0 earthquake midway between Richmond and Ch.... Cell service was down for some but we managed to get through to Phil and the guys. They were working in Richmond. Freeman said that the petty bone was swinging its hips like a belly dancer and the window panes were trembling. When we got home, we thought the dogs had gotten into something. It looked like wood scattered over the yard. But here, bricks had fallen from the old chimney. It looks very fragile now. The dogs were hiding under the porch and refused to come out. Two pictures had fallen off the shelves in the house and my deodorant had flown across the room. Around 8:30 in the eve. we felt an aftershock as did others. Rosalee called. Katrina had felt it at Shady Maple. Rosalee was outside at the time and didn't feel it. Meredith, who is in Colorado, felt it also. It was felt in NC, NY, OH, Mass, PA, and who knows where else. They are calling for a hurricane to hit us about the time I want to leave for Pa. ///I am thankful that today I went from not having a plan, to having an excellent plan. I am thankful that Susan has been accepted into the Biology class taught by a home school dad who is also a Dr. I am thankful for Lori K. and all of her fun and inspirational help that she gave me today. I am thankful for God's protection during the earthquake. It was a little scary. It sounded like the time the oil pipe blew only it felt like their house was going to blow up. I remembered the earthquake from almost 8 years ago. It sounded and felt like that one. I am thankful to discover the source of that awful smell. 14 canned jars of kidney beans gone bad. Unsealed. Yuck! But glad to find out sooner than later!

Wed.-Reading Leviticus and the requirements for the high priest. Jesus, our High Priest, both the Offering and the Offerer. Spotless Lamb-perfect sacrifice. But then, He became sin. For us. He became our sin. Dare I say it? Did His offering up of Himself become profane because of our sin? For the wrath of God was poured out on Him and consumed both the Offering and the Offerer. Rom. 4:25-"Jesus...was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification," which He Himself brought about. And now, we can boldly approach the throne of God to fine grace in our time of need. It boggles my mind.

We had a great day in Appomattox, starting with the chiropractor, then to Geneses to get hair cuts, Salvation Army to drop things off, Walmart, Peebles, CCA to say Hello, Produce stand, tire rotator place where we met Loys and they took us to Baine's where we spent a pleasant hour catching up over ice tea. Came back home for a pit stop. Went out to town for youth group and a quick bite to eat with Dianna who just had a birthday and would not let me treat her. Went to Walmart. Picked up Susan. She treated us to ice cream cones. And went to walmart. Seriously? Three times? Picked up big stuff like massive amounts of dog food, paper towels, etc. the first time. Food, etc. the second time. And Susan picked out her own school notebooks the third time. Got home after 10:30. Didn't sleep well without Phil. Oh-another aftershock around 1 in the morning so they say. ///Thankful for Kelli's happy news. I'm thankful for a school headmistress who says, 'Let me know if I can help you with anything.' I am thankful that when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, we shall give evidence in honor of Jesus Christ.' ( I looked up the words 'witness' and 'to'. )

Thurs.-Took pencil crayons one day this week and colored the layers of the 12 foundations written about in Revelation about the place where God dwells. There is no need of light there, because the Lamb of God and God the Father are the lights. They shine through the walls of translucent gold and the gates of pearl, and the foundational stones. From the bottom up, there are blues and greens and then reds and oranges and then blues, yellows, and greens, and then another splash of red and orange and then purple. It sounds so effervescent and ethereal and exciting and here I've just want a little cottage by the sea. I'm not a city girl myself but I'll adapt I'm sure. ///I'm thankful for Ilsa's energizing visit and the way her face lights up when she talks about Grace, her niece. I am thankful for the wild and splendid storm that impressed me with its strength. I am thankful that Michael came home tonight, as did Phil and Philip and I made them one of their favorite meals-Lettuce Tomato with Beef, or venison, as in this case. I am thankful that Freeman had gone out the lane and then discovered his flat tire. Thankful he wasn't far away. I am thankful for Angela who rescheduled our 'counselling' session because of the storm and then the phone went dead.

Fri-Was reading the description of Aaron's robe. Linen trousers and holy linen robe. Dressed just like Jesus was in my dream about Him walking along Longwood College Avenue-my name for the pathways where the fountains are. I also want to make the observation that 'no wonder Song of Solomon is not read aloud in church!' And it is my humble opinion that it (SoS) is what it is and that's plenty. Got ready for the storm today by doing wash, preparing some water, cutting paper towel roll in half and inserting it in a bucket of soapy water, making some food, froze large buckets of water, and brought the cooler to the porch, etc. But my major accomplishment today? Got my home school notebook all together with plans written out for the next four years. Plus made a daily schedule. Took several hours. Susan and I are excited and will get started Sept. 5. I still want to make baked oatmeal and shoo fly cake. Easy to eat with milk. Michael got home from Liberty and put on 'Fiddler on the Roof.' Susan made supper. Browned sausage with cheese sauce. Mixed it with corn and pasta and is baking it in the oven. She is a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen. She is doing a major clean up job in her room, and I have a lump in my throat, because she is putting away childish things, and getting ready to attack her high school years with great intent and purpose. ///I am thankful that we will most likely only get hit with a tropical storm here. I am concerned about my brother and his wife who live near the shore in Del. I am thankful that we'll all be together when the winds and rains hit tonight. I am thankful that even though the house owner cannot be located, God knows where the Bantons will live.

Sat.-Rainy and windy. We're experiencing the soft edge of Hurricane Irene. Didn't lose power. Took a mid-day nap. We all feel like sleeping. Cleaned up the house a little, but not much. We're going away for a week. Baked fruited baked oatmeal, shoo-fly cake, and peanut butter cookie bars. Packed some for trip. Did paper work. No satellite for computer.///I am thankful that we didn't lose power. I am thankful for a lazy day. I am thankful that next week is full of happy plans.

Sun.-Dogs barked alot last night. Loose hunting dogs make them jumpy. Woke up to Phil shouting, "The barns on fire!" Angel's insistent barking outside our window woke him up. He ran over to get the boys while I called 911. Philip managed to move out the John Deere tractor, receiving first and second degree burns on his back. Phil tried to move another tractor out but it was too hot and he received second degree burns on his back, right arm, and right hand. The Pamplin, Appomattox, and Prospect fire companies and emergency vehicles showed up quickly and doused the fire that was beginning on the well roof. They worked hard to put out most of the fire, and left around 8 after letting us know that the fire would burn for at least a week. Steve and Dianna braved the busy lane and came to be with us. The flashing lights began to affect my equilibrium and Dianna sat with me in the dark house. Several of the workers came to talk with Susan and were so kind to her. Michael video-taped the fire and put it on face book. The fire company is sure it was started by spontaneous combustion. The fire was burning the hay when we woke up and then moved to the equipment. The higher winds caused more friction and with the humidity, the hay was a breeding ground for fire. We lost two tractors, a dump truck, the lane grader, equipment to harvest corn, the generator to the farm, and over 100 round bales of hay, etc. Susan and I went to church. People were so kind and loving and full of prayer. PR preached on knowing the will of God. How do you know if you are hearing from God? People stopped in throughout the day. Bob N., Doreen with bags of food, Chris and Jeff, guys from the fire dept., and Tom's, plus people were calling. Alli and Freeman had Kelli, Emilee, Michael, and Susan over for lunch and a fun afternoon. Philip had other plans.///I am thankful that this is not a lonely fire. I am thankful for all the kind offers of help. I am thankful that Phil said that he is not going to rebuild the hay/equipment barn where it was. He likes the view too much without it there.

No comments: