Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hertzler Doings~Aug. 8-14, 2011

Mon.-Susan and I went to Chick Fillet at noon and met Michelle and the Banton's for lunch. The girls were sitting on Susan's and my laps. Adi snuggled in and I asked her if she was sad because she seemed to be sad. She nodded yes and then I asked her if she was sad because she was moving and she nodded again and tucked her head in closer like a little baby and I pretended she was. It was a rough good bye in the parking lot. Emma looked back at us from her vantage point in the van and said, "What are you doing?" Gil said, "We just need a moment." And Emma said, "Silly Friends" which made us all laugh through our tears. It helps to know that they are coming back for Christmas and I've heard some talk about flying up in Oct. We ran some errands and later we made homemade pizza's for supper. ///I am thankful that Lindsay gave Susan her gold amethyst ring that she's had since she was 15. She also gave her the Bible that Gil had given her the first year they were married. She had looked for gifts for Susan that were full of meaning. Lindsay always felt like she and Susan were much alike. I am so thankful for Gil and Lindsay, Emma and Adi, and the blessings they have been to us. I am thankful that I've learned to know Michelle through them. And Erin, too.

Tues.-Went to Dr. F. with Susan. Had eaten a salad from a bag before we went and by the time we got home, I was really sick in my stomach. I guess I cannot eat any salad that I don't make fresh myself. It must be the sprays. It takes a good 24 hours until I feel better. Susan and I made plans for the school year and realized we had to drop the homeschool co-op. With the on-line program, she'll need to be on the computer nearly 5 hours a day, plus she wants to play sports, and be involved with some other things. We are waiting to get our high speed internet set up. Apparently there is some sort of strike going on.///I am thankful for Susan and for who she is and the way she thinks. I am thankful for the phone call I received this morning from someone who knew it was a rough day for me. I am thankful that the Banton's got their truck packed up and are safely on their way to Conn. I am thankful for all the friends they have and for all the love they received in tangible ways on their last day in Farmville.

Wed.-Busy day plus two meetings in Farmville in the eve. Drove by the empty Banton house and called Lindsay. They are camping. ///I am thankful that God is always working to keep me balanced and objective. I am thankful for friends I can be brain dead with. That is not a good sentence but it's as good as it gets right now. I am thankful that I got to see Carleen and Amber at Walmart. Had been thinking about them alot. I am thankful for the purifying fire. Not really, but I am thankful for the results that are just around the corner.

Thurs.-I don't know what I did today. Just a numb blur of a day.///I am thankful for a day to not have to go anywhere or do much of anything even though there is much I could be doing. I am thankful that God has my back. I am thankful that it is not about me.

Fri.-Storm woke Phil up around 1 this morning and he and Philip went to the abbey to close some things up and then slept there and ate at McD's. for breakfast. I couldn't go back to sleep for an hour or two and then his alarm woke me up at 5. Had a great morning studying, exercising, cleaning up outside and the old house, doing wash, canning pinto beans, making pizza crusts, creating a bed on the floor for Serena, Abby, and Micah. Susan mowed for four hours over at Happy Valley and did some chores around here before I took her to Holliday Lake for Jeremy's birthday party. Michael drove tractor for Rich to sow some seed and then later went to a party at Calvary and then had some time with the guys. Philip spent the eve. with him. Phil went to pick up Susan at Holliday Lake and then took her to the outdoor theatre in Farmville for Kelli's birthday hang-out. They watched 'True Grit' with the family. Phil was so exhausted. He tried to sleep in the car while he waited for her. Abby, Serena, and Micah were here by the time I got back from Holliday Lake. Michael had made them popcorn and they were watching 3 Stooges with Phil. I had them make their own little pizzas. I had baked the dough earlier. We ate pizza and had rootbeer and orange soda vanilla ice cream floats while we watched 'Ice Age 2' and 'Cats and Dog.' I read to them a little bit before I went to bed. ("Fox in Sox" and "The Biggest Bear.")I didn't notice if they stayed up late or not because I fell asleep.

Sat.-I heard the kids waking up around 7 so we got up and made sausage and buckwheat pancakes-regular, blueberry, and chocolate chip. They watched 'Scrat' and more Stooges I think and then we packed up and went down to the river from 10:30-12:30. The sky was gray, as it has been, from smoke from a fire in a swamp some 150 miles away. It's been burning since Aug. 4 and has burned 6,000 acres so far. It kept thundering as they played in the water and while we roasted hot dogs and s'mores. They made a clay slide down the bank and their behinds looked like an otters belly after a day of playing along the river bank. Finally the thunder began in earnest and we doused out the fire and jumped into the gator. The 5 dogs were our enemies, as they were on the way down, and we fired our guns at them, for we were in the jungle, and the tigers were trying to eat us. The dogs were invigorated by our shouting and 'POW! POW! POWS!' and they strode innocently ahead of us, completely ignorant of their identities and internal injuries. (In the beginning of our adventure, they turned from tigers to alligators when they got into the river, and we avoided that segment of the water for awhile.) We unloaded the gator in the rain and I insisted they take showers and pack their things before one last movie-'The Ant Bullies'. Then we loaded the car around 2:30 and I took the girls home first and they said how they wished they could stay longer and one even suggested we do this every 6 days. I think she may have wanted to escape Sat. chores. Micah took my hand when we got to his house and he showed me his skink. The drowning meal worms-skink food- have threatened to curb Janelle's creative processing since they are back in her office, but the increase in the number of post-a-notes on the wall proved to me that she is still plugging away at her book and before you know it, she'll be a published author again. I came home and cleaned up the kitchen, did some wash, and washed the floors. Alli and Freeman stopped by and we received a beautiful anniversary gift that they had made together. They gave us a double hanging plaque painted by Alli's skillful hand and it says, "HERTZLER HOME" on the top and "EST. Aug. 14, '82" on the bottom. They also got us a digital rain gauge which Phil has been wanting for awhile. Chace has been here today and the boys made a big pot of Philip's famous chili over the fire outside. They fished and floated on the pond in the late afternoon and spent some time with the other guys in the eve. They are holding on to life as they know it before Mike starts college next week.///I am thankful for my neighbor, Mickey, and the material she gave me tonight. I am thankful for the belated idea I got for an anniversary gift for Freeman and Alli. I am thankful that 29 years ago, I was not at all worried about getting married the next day. I am thankful for nieces and nephews and especially Serena, Abby, and Micah. I wouldn't mind waking up to their happy chatter and pillow fighting on a more consistent basis. I am thankful for Phil's enjoyment of local Appomattox politics. I am thankful that the storm system that came in today changed the direction of the wind, and now the smoke will blow out to sea.

Sun.-Second Sunday in a row that we didn't race off to S.S. in the morning. It's kind of nice for a change. It's interesting; if I don't get to really have a deep conversation with several people, I don't feel like I had church. For me, it's the relationships I have with people that make me feel part of Christ's body. We are being fit together to build His body just as the stones were laid on top of each other to build the temple. Sharp tools are used to chisel off the rough edges so we can fit together better. This is generally a painful experience. Pastor Frank preached from Romans-the grace of God. We have received an abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness. Therefore, we will reign in life through Christ Jesus. He has gone to the cross for our sins and gifted us with righteousness. Sin no longer rules our lives. I need to hear this again and again. It is when we abide in Him that we'll bring forth fruit. The fruit does not show itself in our style of worship or how many people are in the pews. The fruit shows itself in the love and kindness in or lives toward one another. It will look like love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, patience, and faith in attitude and action. It is from the overflow of the heart that the mouth speaks. If our words are bitter, our hearts are bitter. If our words are sweet, our hearts are sweet. Our words reveal our character and our spirit. We can sow words of discord or words of unity. The body of Christ will reap what we sow. A root of bitterness defiles many. There are ways to speak truth without destroying people in the process. If we do not need grace, then we don't need to extend it to others. But if we are not perfect, then we too, need grace. Grace is to be received as a gift from God. And grace is to be given. Those who are not gracious need our grace the most. John says it this way, "Of His fullness, we have all received, and grace for grace." We need grace to receive grace, and we need grace to give it. Grace is one of my favorite words. Grace is the meaning of my name and I have always been overwhelmed by His grace and I have always longed to gracious.
Judy came back into church after the service. She said she was the whole way to her car when Sammy Jo insisted on coming back in to see me. I got to hold her for awhile.
Phil and I went to the Babcock House to celebrate our 29th anniversary and then we came back home and took naps and watched a movie and made popcorn and ate ice cream. DDF called today and offered me the key to their house while they are on vacation in case I want time away. Philip spent some time working on his food plot on his property across the road. Michael went over to have some time with Meredith, his cousin, before college starts next week. It was good to have Erin here and we made the beginnings of connections with our relatives in England to make some contacts for Erin for her year of study there. This may be the last time we see her for awhile. She pulled gifts from China out of her woven Chinese bag and gave them to us as we chatted around the table. She gave us silk balls hung on ribbon with beautiful colors and designs. One for each of us. She gave us a painting that says, "Jesus is Lord" in another language. She said, "Summer buddies," to Susan and Philip as she presented them drawings of their names in Chinese. Earlier she had given us exotic foods such as pickled duck tongues and the same kind of coconut candy that Johnny would bring home to us. And she gave us her smile and after we had gathered around her and prayed, she gave me her strong hug and said, "See you later," and so gave me a way out of overwhelming sadness amidst my tears.///I am thankful for the grace of God and that He longs to be gracious towards us. I am thankful for DDF's encouragement about my writing. I am thankful for Phil, who never criticizes me or makes me feel bad about anything. I am thankful for his steadfast love and his blind eyes that see beauty and grace whenever he looks at me. I am thankful for his keen mind, objective wisdom, and energizing optimism. I am thankful that we got married in a sweet simple ceremony 29 years ago. I am thankful for the four wonderful children who are the fruits of our love. And I am thankful for Alli, too.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Happy anniversary to you and Phil! It sounds like your life is so full of joy. Thank you for posting your doings. It always make me appreciate all the little things in my life too :)