Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hertzler Doings~Aug. 15-21, 2011

Mon.-An intense day. A day of changes and communication of all kinds. ///I am thankful that Monday's come only once a week. I am thankful that if we ask for wisdom, He gives it quickly. I am thankful for what I learned today-the difference between an observation and an evaluation. I am thankful for the keys that were given to me today on how to stop a downward spiral in my thinking. I am thankful for Angela, my health care counsellor, who is making me spend time thinking about myself in a healthy way.

Tues.-Truly weeping may endure for a night, or for a Monday, in this case, but joy comes in the morning. Answers are falling into place. A plan is coming together and I am pulled back home where I belong. What was I thinking? It's so easy to fall prey to the urgent rather than invest time in the most important.
Canned lots of kidney beans today. Due to our difficulty with getting high speed internet here, we are having to change our plans in schooling for next year. A friend has offered her help and I am going through all our homeschooling things and making a list of what I have. Michael is tying up loose ends and plans to move into Liberty tonight. He has a conference he must attend this week with Cutco and will miss the Freshmen activities but they told him he can make it up in Jan. after he told them he is running a business and has meetings he must attend. He has encouraged Susan to see if she can finish high school in three years so they can have a year at Liberty together. She likes that idea. Alli came over after work to check out the box of material we inherited and then she took me to Pamplin Exxon to pick up my car. They charged me 10 bucks for thoroughly checking out the car. Not once did it misbehave for them. The air conditioning has been temperamental as is the starting up of the engine. I stopped at Grunerts on the way home and picked several ice cream buckets of their tomatoes. They also sent me home with some peppers, eggplant, and fresh herbs. I love their garden and their house and their land. I thought I had driven into heaven when I pulled into their driveway. I made some taco salad for supper and since the table was full of various items, we sat and watched a bit of 'Lord of the Rings' while we ate. The boys can't believe I haven't read the books. They said the movies are boring compared to the books. I just can't read anything that is scarier than the movie. Scary looking creatures scare me and so do scary sounds. What can I say? Michael, Philip, and Susan played real Monopoly at the one end of the cleared off table. Phil worked on some things outside. He missed me 'too much' being away overnight at the Abbey last night. I missed him too. ///I am thankful that Susan is on her second day of guitar and is already picking out tunes on the strings. I am thankful for the happy chatter of the three as they sing along with the songs that are playing and call each other good natured names and argue about their own made up rules of the game. A long time ago, when the boys were young, they got my mother to play with them. She asked me, "Have you ever played with them? They have their own set of rules." It's a one-of-a-kind experience-Hertzler Monopoly.

Wed.-Went out to Walmart in the eve. and connected with Michelle over ice cream after dropping Susan off at church. Met Candi for Japanese. I've been plugging my way through Exodus and Leviticus and am moved by all the care that went into making the high priestly robe. The 12 tribes of Israel's names were engraved on stone and woven into the shoulders of the high priest's robe and I thought of how Jesus is our high priest and how it was said of Him that the government would be upon His shoulders. We, too, are kings and priests unto God. Which means we have authority and we can intercede for ourselves and others. Also, there was so much detail that went into the building and furnishing of the temple and now we are His temple where He dwells. And all that law...and Jesus fulfilled all that law and fulfilled all the prophets prophecy's. He is the embodiment of the Word of God. ///I am thankful that Michael could be home part of this day and that Chace helped him move to Liberty and that he had a peaceful night there. I am thankful for the clarity that comes when righteous anger is expressed in a logical manner. I am thankful for a hot bath and a good book and a deep sleep.

Thurs.-Kept thinking of these words last night and this morning. Trust the LORD and do good. Don't get caught up in conflict. Trust in the LORD and do good. Don't choose sides against anyone. Trust in the LORD and do good. Don't defend yourself. Feed His sheep. Do what's right even if others have wronged you. Trust in the LORD and do good. Canned two batches of salsa and 6 pint of black beans. Watched 'The Little Princess' with Susan. ///I am thankful that God gives answers and direction and truth and light. I am thankful for the strength He pours into human spirits. I am thankful that He is interceding for His church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Fri.-Nice long time to study and exercise. Made 6 quarts of salsa. Watched 'The Secret Garden' with Susan. Mickey and Oran came down to see the puppies. They frightened him with their loud aggressive barking. Got a second wind in the eve. and cleaned up the kitchen better than its been for awhile.///I am thankful for 'The Mitford Series'. I am thankful that Phil is home tonight. I am thankful for a hot bath, a good book, and an early bedtime. I am thankful for what I read in Leviticus today. When the sacrifice pleased God, His fire came out from His presence to consume the sacrifice. But when Aaron's sons offered profane fire, having gotten it from a source other than what was commanded, and also being intoxicated with strong drink, the fire came out and consumed them. I'm not thankful that they were consumed. I am thankful for the reminder to be holy and to fear a holy and awesome God.

Sat.-Had coffee and conversation with Michael about Liberty this morning. Cleaned the house. Susan mowed the lawn and a pathway to the river. Phil, Susan and I had a sweet time at the river with a dear friend and her mother. A White Dove showed up on our property to make the time even sweeter. Phil and Susan headed to the Abbey to get a load of windows/aluminum. I rested a bit and made peach scones, beef roasts, and homemade corn chips. In the eve., we went to New Life to see their Comedy Theatre. Every actor was good on their own and also as a group. Kelly Gibbs came home with us for the night. ///I am thankful for the way the Holy Spirit came down like a dove and rested on Jesus when He was baptized. I am thankful for fresh peach scones and a cup of tea in the middle of the afternoon. I am thankful that Sheriff is calming down. I am thankful for Dianna and for a peek into her life 20+ years from now.

Sun.-Let Kelly G. and Susan sleep in and got into the sanctuary a bit late. Got to hold little Isaac and he fell asleep for me which surprised his mama. She said they can never get him to sleep in church. She said that he's never taken to anyone like this and I told her that we have been flirting for quite some time and that we've only now gotten together. He was 'what the doctor ordered' since this day was a bag of mixed emotions for me. Some of our church family is moving on and if we weren't 'related' I'd feel even sadder but I have hopes of continued contact. PFrank preached a sermon about our flesh, soul, and spirit. Before Christ, we are ruled by our flesh. After Christ, our struggle is more with our souls-our minds, will and emotions. We must renew our minds through truth. His word is truth. But the great thing is, the actual mystery is this-when we ask the Spirit of God to come and reside in us, He does, and He makes us new creations in Him. Old things are passed away; all things are become new. And the life we now live in the flesh, we live by His faith. The faith, power, life, and presence of God is in us working to do that which pleases Him. (I didn't get to write notes down, but this is what I took away.) Susan stayed in town with the Gibb's and Cassidy and checked out human video. Phil picked her up at Calvary where Charity dropped her off. I read more of 'A New Song' by Jan Karon. I love her books about an Anglican priest. Phil was reading too. Michael headed out to Liberty. His first class starts tomorrow.///I am thankful that Susan got to spend time with her friends. I am thankful for a day of rest. I am thankful that I can see and that I can read. I am thankful for the deep and foundational word that was given this morning. I am thankful that I do not need to consider matters that are too complicated for me. I have calmed my soul, like Isaac was calm with me, and I am carried between the shoulders of God, resting on His chest, trusting Him to take care of His church and make it whole.

No comments: