Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Carpet of Blue

The Virginia Blueballs are in full bloom down at our river. The heavy rain was hard on them but they still swing with beauty in the breezes of spring. They are a carpet of blue, covering the forest floor. A little poem came billowing into my mind and when I reached the house, I grabbed pen and paper and jotted it down.

"O' gathered bells of heaven's blue,
Ringing and Singing, "He loves me, too."

As far in the wood as my eye can see,
They're ringing and singing His love for me."

Leaving our property here,
I ventured over to O'Brien's-
our other farm a few miles away.
I drove the gator on the main back road,
leaving Susan and Angel at home
to catch some sun's ray's on the porch.

Once there, I took some panaromic pictures of pretty red buds
parading their paintings of pink in the pasture.

Then I drove the gator down the long rocky lane
to find the bluebells down at the river.

Alas, the heavy rains had bowled over the bluebells
and the bank was a mass of mud.
I drove down into the land mine
and as I turned around to leave,
my back tires spun helplessly
in the very wet mud.

I put it in four wheel drive
and I think that made it worse.

The sun was hot.
I pulled out my phone to call Susan,
thinking she could come down to get me
on the four-wheeler.
My phone had no reception
and as I took note of that fact,
the battery died.

I started to pray.
"Jesus, help me."
I began laying down twigs
in front and in back of the front
and back tires.
Slowly, about a foot at a time,
I began plowing my way
out of the mudslide.

This went on for quite some time
and finally,
after using nearly all the available debris
in the area,
I gained enough momentum
to spin onto more solid ground.

My feet, hands, and clothes,
were smathered in mud
and the gator had clumps of brown matter
all along its' sides.

I should have known better than to drive down into
that mudhole,
and I'm not sure why I did it.

Next time I venture so far from home
wearing only crocs on my feet
and having no cell reception,
I'll work it out with Susan ahead of time,
saying something like,
"If I'm not home in an hour,
come looking for me."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 40:1-3-
"I waited patiently for the LORD;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth-
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the LORD."

No comments: