Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hertzler Doings~March 26-April1, 2012

Mon.-Psalm 138:3,7,8-"In the day when I cried out, You answered me, And made me bold with strength in my soul. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The LORD will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever; Do not forsake the works of Your hands."
Naomi called. Made plans to spent Thurs. and Fri. night with her this week. Susan took a history test and worked for several hours on her eggs. Janelle sent a picture of a snake to us on face book and then called, asking for help in identifying it. She had been cutting some herbs and realized that it was dangling just a few inches away from her. I told her who to contact and right away that person said that it was a Corn Snake and would do only good. Now Micah wants to keep it as a pet. Booked hotel room for CS weekend. Washed clothes and tidied up house and went for an adventurous drive on the gator down to our river and the river over at O'Brien's. Got stuck in the mud over there and was several miles away from the main road. It would have been a long, mountainous walk back to the main road. Thankfully, God helped me. I began to put twigs, etc. down to cause some traction. I wrote about it in 'Carpet of Blue.' In the evening, Susan and I went to Cornerstone Christian Academy to see their spring Recitatio. It was great. They should take it on the road. The older students quoted from memory facts about the twentieth century, one decade at a time. They would feature one of the facts with a song, dance, or speech. It was wonderful to see the teachers and students too. Oh! Even Elvis showed up. It was a complete surprise to the kids.

721-Thankful for the song that Mikayla and Sidney sang for me in the gym after the program.
722-Thankful for friends who are still friends even when I haven't seen or talked to them for awhile.
723-Thankful for God's blessing on CCA.
724-Thankful that God literally delivered me out of the miry clay. I was really thankful. I was beginning to feel like 'Survivor Woman.'

(I'm writing this on my new laptop and can't seem to save it so I guess I'll print it right away. That should make Gil happy.)

Tues.-"He loves me too, He loves me too, I know He loves me too..." Susan is learning a lot about taking care of a baby calf and not everything is pleasant. We went out to homeschool co-op and ran some errands. I had lunch with DDF and then picked up Susan and we met Judy and another friend at Sweet Frog. We spent a nice hour together, catching up and just being together. Phil heard from the boxer people and Susan likes the picture of the puppy that was sent our way. She's dipping eggs tonight, Phil is catching up on paper work, I'm thinking about cleaning off my messy desk and getting ready for the week ahead, Philip is at a cattlemen's meeting, and I talked with Michael and he was on his way to Buffalo wild wings.

725-I am thankful for my younger friend, who always brings me back to the gospel and what it teaches. She is young in the faith, as far as years, but she is way beyond me in her pursuit of God and her desire to obey Him. She asks me questions but I have so much to learn from her.
726-I am thankful for the loaded trust-filled question I was asked today. After consulting with every family member, we said, "Yes."
727-That love keeps a record of rights and believes the best about people even if they might not deserve it.

Wed.-(I haven't been able to blog for at least a week, due to being away, and due to blogger switching over to google and messing up my style. Lindsay has put it all back together for me and I am writing this a whole week late. I have some notes and will go from them.)
Today, at Mom's and More, Lindsay texted Ginger and Ginger read her note aloud. Lindsay said that I was one of the ten finalists for the Zondervan New NIV Mom's devotional Bible writing competition. That made me so happy! Lindsay is even more 'stoked' than I am. People can vote for my writing and we'll find out the final results on April 14. Had lunch with Dianna and Friends. Shopped at Belk's. Susan and two of her friends went to see 'The Hunger Games'. (Oops-I had earlier written 'Hunting' Games. I went with them. They wanted to be independent and guardianless, so I sat in back, far away from them. The movie is very disturbing. The one girl had read all of the books and said that there are more movies coming out. I told her that there had better be a revolution among the people and she said that there is. I had to think about abortion and Hitler and something else that hasn't quite revealed itself to me yet. Finished packing in the eve.

Thurs.-Left around 8 and got to Mother's new place around 5. She moved to an assisted living location at her retirement home. She has one room now, instead of a nice sized carriage house. It's lovely but it is different. Change is hard. Redbuds are losing their bloom in Va. but as I traveled north, the pink trees were at their finest. Spring is coming to Lancaster County. There are so many beautiful shades of green covering rich loamy soil. I ate supper with Mother in the dining room and watched Jeopardy at 7. She has a waterfall outside her window and a gazebo and a flower garden. I liked telling her that her blog-I.B.Lieve, has had nearly 2,000 page views. I went outside after supper to get her the lilacs I had brought from home. I went out the wrong door and couldn't get back in. I got seriously lost and didn't find my way back until after a long walk and 20-30 min. of trying. Got to Naomi's around 8 and we talked and laughed with Ashley, Krissy, and then, Mabe. What a good home this is.

Fri.-Had a nice leisurely breakfast with Naomi after sleeping straight through the night. Homemade granola, vanilla yogurt, fruit, and coffee with cinnabon creamer. Met Rosalee at Mothers soon after 9. Worked on her other house and sorted through some things. Went to Lickety Split for take out lunch and brought it back to Mother's. Went back and worked in the afternoon. Abie came and put up more pictures and a mirror for Mother. Ate supper with Mother and picked up Amber's marathon bag at the front entrance. Got to hear Janet Oberholtzer speak for about 10 min. I had seen her book in the lobby and walked over to it. I recognized the cover. Jerry, Janet's husband, said, "Hi." Oh, I said. I recognized your wife's legs before I recognized you. Then he told me she was speaking so I snuck in and sat in the back. She did see me and face booked me. I hadn't wanted to 'throw' her concentration, but she didn't mind. She is an excellent speaker. Buy her book, "Because I can." It tells her journey about a life threatening accident where she nearly lost one leg and now she is running again. I'm so proud of her. Went back to Naomi's. Amber and Brayden were there. We decided to refer to me as 'Aunt Annette' and when I got up to go somewhere, Brayden, 3, said, "Where is Clarinet going?" Morgan was home from Temple. It was great to be around all of the girls at one time. Coffee and chocolate cookies for bedtime snack and I slept on the cot in the computer room. Michael called today and requested that I write more of my memories of childhood, grandparents, etc. on my blog.

Sat.-Woke up to a happy little voice in the house. Went to Squire Side Cafe with Mabe, Naomi, the girls, and Brayden. Amber was running in the marathon. Went over to Mother's. Rosalee and I worked over at the other place. Mabe and Naomi picked up my dry sink and wicker table and chairs. They are storing it for me until we get up with a truck. Got lunch from Lickety Split again. We were eating it in the lobby. A lady walked by with her Mennonite mother. I said, "You look really familiar....do you know my friend, Naomi Glick? She works at Auntie Anne's counselling center." The lady said, "I AM Auntie Anne." That was so cool. I had read her book at the shore and recognized her from her pictures. She is the Auntie Anne of the Auntie Anne's soft pretzels. She was taking her mama home over night. We introduced my mother and played the Mennonite Game. My mother told her that she had been a Landis and I said that the guys used to sing to her in the hallways at school, "Oh, Beulah Land...sweet Beulah Landis..." something like that anyway. Anne started to sing, "I've reached the land of corn and wine..." and we joined in, harmonizing, "and all it's riches freely mine...there shines undimmed one glorious day, when all my night shall pass away...Oh, Beulah Land, sweet Beulah land..." It was a precious time. Anne encouraged my mother, saying, "We don't always like the way life is here, but it will be worth it all some day." My mother told her that her cousin, Jake, owned the farm that Anne had bought to build the center. Jake still lives on the farm and Anne was going to give him greetings from his cousin, Beulah. Sometimes, it's really worth it to speak up and say, "Do I know you? You look familiar to me." I had supper with Mother and then said a hard good bye and went to spend the eve. and the night at Mom and Dad's. Had such a nice visit with them. Jim's, Pauls, and Joe's, came over, and little Jonathan was very lovey dovey with me, in spite of the fact he had a temp. of 102.5. First time being sick. Fever only symptom. Karen said he is that friendly with every one, so I guess I'm not so special after all. ;) Got to see Jim's boys and Karalee, too. Paul's hand is doing great. What a thrill to see how well it has healed. I took pictures so I could show Phil since we've only seen it wrapped up. Mom served us pumpkin custard and apple crisp. Later that eve, as I was getting ready for bed, I listened to the radio station the were playing in their room. Old hymns took me back to my childhood. "The Old Rugged Cross" and other songs. I found a note in Susan's childlike handwriting in the guest drawer. "I love you Grandpa and Grandma. Love, Susan Hertzler.

Sun.-Mom made me breakfast. We had a sweet time of prayer together and a group hug. Just Dad, Mom, and I. Then I said, "Now, I have to take you back to Va. with me." Left around 8:20 and got home around 4:20. We drove again in the eve., about 1 hour and 10 min. away, to check on Susan's week old boxer puppy. They weren't home. We decided to wait for 5 min. in the driveway, and glory be, they came! We hadn't been able to reach them via phone. Susan has posted pictures on face book and she looks like she's in love. I got to hold the little thing for a brief 5 seconds. It's good to be back home. I really truly can't wait until heaven, when we will no longer need to say good bye.

No comments: