Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hertzler Doings~March 5-11,2012

Mon.-"..to break every chain, to break every chain, to break every chain..." It was snowing here this morning. Phil stayed home to take me to Lynchburg for a vascular procedure on my left leg. I've been thinking that my problem with that vein may be why my foot is in so much pain. We shall see. The doctor prayed for me before he started and the nurse was a kind mother of 4 month old boy twins and a 6 year old boy and we talked non-stop for 45 min. through the rather uncomfortable surgery of sorts. The nurse's husband was involved in that sad scary scenario a year or so ago when our school was on lock-down due to a sniper. I got to find out what that man said as he turned himself in because it was her husband that arrested him. I've always wondered what had been said because the newspaper alluded to things but would never quote him, and now I know, which I thought was rather nice of God to let me know something He knew I was wondering about. Oh, Jesus. Comfort those who still mourn for their loved ones. I rested all day and took as many pain meds as I could. I couldn't take what they wanted to prescribe because it was codeine with Tylenol and taking Tylenol for me would be like Moses climbing Mt. Nebo for the last time to take a look at the Promised Land. Susan was recovering from her party and we just had a nice easy day. Kathy and Tom L. stopped over and brought a birthday bag full of pink camouflage shirts and a cap for Susan. Kathy brought me two signed children's books written by her daughter which I read as soon as they left and thoroughly enjoyed. Phil and Susan went over to Happy Valley to go over things with them. They'll be here until Thursday and then will fly back to Calif. Rosalee, my sister, called, and talked over some plans for Mother. I cannot say enough good about my sister. I am very thankful for her.

Tues.-Thinking about fruit this morning. The fruit of the spirit...the fruit of wisdom from above...Began reading David Jeremiah's book-"A Bend in the Road." Sometimes, people say hurtful things when you are grieving and they add to your pain. I know that I am guilty of doing just that. But I think you would like this book. It is a safe and strengthening book especially for those who might be wondering where God is right about now.

Took Susan to Walmart and she got our groceries and while in line, a young man asked her if she came there often, etc. and she said, "Yes, with my mother..." etc. and that conversation took a turn for the better. Took her to Sweet Frog and then to co-op and Dawn F., who lives 5 min. away from us, will bring her back to her place and I'll go pick her up.

Wed.-Chapman's song singing in my head-"Have mercy on me O God, According to Your steadfast love...according to your great compassion...wash away my iniquities, cleanse me from sin..." Began reading Joshua. Three times, by verse 9, God exhorts Joshua to Be strong and courageous. #1-Be strong...you will divide the land as an inheritance for these people. #2-Be strong...that you may keep the law Moses gave you. #3-Be strong...because I AM with you. Be strong for the task. Be strong and obey so you may prosper. Be strong for I am with you. Good orders and good comfort for any leader. Read History to Susan while she formed peanut butter eggs. Orders are steady and she's scrambling to keep ahead. I made two lasagnas, beef stew, and tuna noodle casserole. The tuna was for supper and the rest was to prepare for the weekend. Mom and Dad are coming down tomorrow and we're going to be butchering. Someone called in the eve. to warn me about possible side effects of the solar flare that went 'off' yesterday. One of these days there will really be a wolf. Tomorrow may be the day.

Thurs.-"Onward Christian Soldiers"-Off and on sleeping throughout night. Got up early to write. Been thinking about soldiers for 4 straight nights and I think I've sorted it out in three parts again.(4) Must be something my brain does during these restless nights. I get stuck on thinking about one thing, be it soldiers, or mercy, or gourds, and I explore it until I've exhausted myself and probably those around me. Read History to Susan while she formed peanut butter eggs. I love reading about the spiritual climate of early America, especially what was happening during 'The Great Awakening.' I got the bed ready for Mom and Dad. They got here a little after 3:00. After they rested and we chatted a bit, we got them settled in the mancave. I built a fire in the woodstove in there to take out the chill.

665-Thankful for the 17 eggs in the chicken house and although the rooster seems like he would like to, he hasn't attacked me yet. Susan sneezed the other day, and he took it as a threat and came after her.

666-Thankful for the laughing breakthrough. I was going to tell all, but I'll just say that it was started by Susan talking about Dr. T. and Jonah and the whale, and then I said something about Pinocchio and she said, "Don't even go there." And for some reason, I completely lost it for a good 15 min. laughing and crying and now I'm all better. She said, "You are in a much better mood after you've had a nervous breakdown." I knew that would be the case so I wasn't nearly as concerned as she was while I was going through it. It's happened before-twice during karaoke situations and once at the shore after I said that I looked like Julie Roberts. My friend, Bev, a nurse, was so concerned that she thought she was going to have to take me to the ER. It happened two other times-once in an empty sanctuary and another at a friend's birthday party but none of them were as good as today and I am a new woman. I've tried to convince one of my friends to have this experience as well, but she said that her husband would lock her up.

667-I'm thankful for Brayden's third birthday. What a great little Life. He's beauty for Ashley and the oil of joy for Naomi. He's a garment of praise wrapped around his PopPops neck. We looked for the Redemption, and Oh, God, You were there.

668-Thankful that Alli came over after work yesterday, bearing gifts from Lindsay and 'the pillowcase' which I want to keep now since it smells like her.

669-Thankful that Phil and Philip carried the bed from Judy over to the mancave last eve. so I can make it up for Mom and Dad.
670-Thankful that we made about $150 from stuff we sold at the auction last Sat.
671-Thankful for the yard full of yellow winged blackbirds.

672-I am so thankful for this family.
673-I am so thankful for our love.
674-I am so thankful to God who made it all happen
by His mercy and grace.
I am so thankful.

Friday-"Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me...Thou hast put off my sack cloth...Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me...and girded me with gladness.." This morning I studied 'the ministry of tears' and hope to write out what I learned later. Susan formed 150 peanut butter eggs today and dipped several batches of coconut. Grandma helped her all the way. Grandpa went with Phil to work and enjoyed walking around with the Abbot. Not sure how to spell that. When they got home, Susan and Philip went to get a calf from Mr. Rainey, Phil went to Lynchburg to pick up a door, and Michael came home and visited his grandparents. Then Susan and Grandpa harvested the first watercress down at our creek. It's still pretty young. Alli and Freeman came over for supper and we had beef stew, spoon pudding, and watercress sandwiches. Then the butchering began. Two pigs gave up their lives and were scalded and scraped and are hanging overnight. Grandma took Susan to Calvary for a cereal and milk and game night and I went and got her with Alli later. Got to bed late and can't sleep. It's almost 1 in the morning. I usually can't sleep unless I've had some time alone and I guess this is it. Also, my heart rate is up and I am just uncomfortable. Had some stabbing pain in my head at breakfast and I've been concerned about a renegade blood clot. Also, my body has been numb all day. Mom was set to call 911 if she needed to. If anything happens to me, I love you.

675-I am thankful for this really great day. I have the best mother in law in the world and we've had such a nice time visiting.

676-I am thankful for a crowded table with all our kids around us and their grandparents to boot.

677-I am thankful for Mom and Dad's gratitude about every little thing and here they came down to help us and have done so much for us already.

Sat.-"Shekinah Glory Come Down..." Sat. morning breakfast sounds...Freeman here. Mom and Dad here. Michael home. Phil's making breakfast for all. Coffee percolating. Mom's cheerful sing-song voice. What a remedy she is! Reading John 11. Jesus said about waiting to go heal Lazarus, "I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, so you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him." Our work is to believe on Him whom He sent. Perhaps if He rescued us immediately, we wouldn't learn to believe that He will show up for an even greater work than the one we had hoped for. Butchering Day. Lots of large silver tables set up near the fire. Sausage grinding, chitlin's, rendering lard. Happy chatter. Coffee, soda, soup. Copper kettle over a fire cooking the scrap meat. After it was cooked, we took it off the bones, ground it, and put it back in along with cornmeal and spices and we made a ton of scrapple. Dave, Shirley, and
Christi were helping most of the day. Ben Lapp was here. He said he likes scrapple sandwiches. Jeanne and John, our neighbors, stopped by to watch the proceedings. They brought me some turnips from their garden and also bought some of Susan's eggs. Jeanne kept me company while I propped up my legs for half an hour in the middle of the day. I love talking with her. She's so interesting. I was bragging about her to mom. She's written 7 books now about business and marketing and gardening. Seven Oaks is the name of her blog on my side panel. Let's see. Who else was here...Johnny F. came by with containers to fill for his clan. They picked them up later in the day. I think there were more people here besides us and Freeman and Alli and Mom and Dad, etc. Oh yes, Chace came and helped. Later that night, Travis came, and the boys went catfishing at the neighbor's pond. Didn't catch anything but that's not really the point, is it. It was a good day. A great day. And we keep thinking we should open up a butcher shop/bake shop/produce stand. There will always be a market for food.
678-In the midst of this busy day, I ran Susan out to Liberty Baptist to practice her play until 4 and then the kids went to Pizza Hut for supper and returned to watch the Jr. play. I went out at 6:30 to watch it also and sat beside Teresa and got to hold Haley for a brief moment. I had so much fun. Good play and a good friend to be with. Came home and finished the dishes, swept the floors, and washed them briefly. The floor had never been this dirty before. Angel is miserably full from pig scraps and has awful gas. Perhaps you did not need to know that.

Sunday-Philip saw a bald eagle in the trees above the pig scraps. I love this bald eagle. He has shown up at different times. He first appeared to Phil the hour after we heard about Johnny's death. It reminds us that God is in control and that He carries us on eagle's wings. Can't stop singing that good old full-gospel song-"Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me..." We lost an hour today due to 'springing forward.' Mom, Dad, and Susan went with us to church at New Life. It was a really good morning and we were blessed to be with this fellowship of believers. Came home. Freeman and Alli came over. We made scrapple, sausage, eggs from our chickens, and watercress/onion/tomato sandwiches for late lunch. Mom and Dad went to visit Tom's and Phil helped Philip finish up the sausage packaging. Next time, we should butcher on a Thurs/Fri. because the project was too big to finish in a day and we needed our Sunday to get it all finished. The boys appreciated the grace and blessing to do so. Michael hung out with his cousin, Meredith in the afternoon. Phil and I read some and then he and Susan went to get her calf from Steve.
679-Thankful for the little ones at church. Rainer, Hannah, and Kellan were the ones I got to hold today. I see in their little faces, the face of Jesus Christ.
680-I am thankful for the way church felt like a family today.
681-I am thankful for the challenge to be good soil so that good seed sown will grow in my life.
682-I am thankful for the challenge to sow good seed, not mixed with a lot of fillers, so the fillers don't take up the space where the seeds could fall and grow.
683-I am thankful for the revelation I heard today from Pastor F. that Christ's body was broken for our healing before He was crucified. 'By His stripes we are healed.' And His blood was shed for the remission of sins. Stripes, whipping, brokenness, for our healing. His blood poured out on the cross for the forgiveness of sins. My sickness. My healing. My sins. My forgiveness. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

No comments: