Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Unselfish Moses

I was reading in Deuteronomy today,
where God told Moses that it was time to climb Mt. Nebo.

Moses would be able to view the Promised Land from the top of Mt. Nebo, but would not be allowed to accompany the Israelites into the Land to which he had been leading them for forty plus years.

Moses had struck the water rock twice in anger instead of speaking to it and in that action showed 'that he did not believe God, nor hallow Him in the eyes of the children of Israel ' and this was his punishment for that action. (Numbers 20)
I think it had a lot to do with what is revealed in 1 Cor. 10:4-"For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ." It was not just any old water rock that Moses picked to strike. Twice.

Moses later joined Christ face to face in the Promised Land on the Mt. of Transfiguration, along with Elijah, so he got to be there after all. (Matt.17) Deuteronomy ends with words that honor Moses, "...there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."

After Moses climbed the mountain and looked at the Promised Land, he was to die up there. I wonder how long he was up there before he died? Then God buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, and no one has any idea where his grave is. He was 120 years old when he died and 'his eyes were not dim nor his natural vigor diminished.' All the children of Israel wept and mourned for him for 30 days.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just climb a mountain when it was our time go? "Good-bye everybody. I'm going up to the mountain to dismiss my spirit to go meet God."

Before he climbed the mountain, he addressed the twelve tribes of Israel, giving them his final blessing. (Deut. 33) He blessed them, even though they were the source of his frustrated temptation to disobey God.

Today, several of the blessings pulled me in to themselves, and I piggybacked on them and received them for myself, for I too, am a descendant of Abraham, and his blessing is handed down to me. (Gal. 3)

To Ashers tribe, Moses blessed, "...as your days, so shall your strength be...The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, and will say, 'Destroy!'...Your enemies shall submit to you and you shall tread down their high places."

I love what he said to Benjamin. "The beloved of the LORD shall dwell in safety by Him, who shelters him all day long; And he shall dwell between His shoulders."

Of Naphtali, he said, "You are satisfied with favor and full of the blessing of the LORD."

How good it is to be reminded that God is my refuge and underneath my lowest hell are His everlasting arms that will never release me from His love. He gives me strength for this day and thrusts out my enemies before me, exposing and destroying them. I am sheltered in His arms, satisfied with His favor and His fullest blessing.

In this world of busyness and spiritual fast food mentality,
it takes a 'Selah' to make us stop, rest, and absorb.

So I say to my soul and yours, "Selah."

Stop and feel God's Almighty arms
as He shelters and protects you.

Stop and listen to His steadfast heartbeat
as He calls your enemies by name
and sends them to their doom.

Stop and breathe in the fragrance of His Loving Kindness
and His tender mercies that are truly new every morning.

Be still and know that He is God.
Be still and know that He is.
Be still and know.
Be still.

No comments: