Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Simply Water

I woke up early this morning with the three points of our pastor's sermon all sorted out in my brain. You can look up the scriptures in order to understand the story context. I am just writing the thoughts that I am pondering.

#1-Job 14:7-9-A tree stump, with every appearance of being lifeless, will grow green shoots toward just the scent of water.

#2-Matt. 14:22-36-Peter stepped out of the boat to walk to Jesus at the worst possible time-during a storm when all hands were needed on deck. "If this is of You," is my prayer too. "Bid me come to You." Peter had followed Jesus for quite some time before he ventured to walk on water. His goal was not to walk on water. His goal was to go to Jesus. We become like the things/people we are following. Don't follow anything or anyone that you don't want to duplicate or emulate. A quote from Pastor Frank-"In one step of faith, that which Peter thought was going to take him out became the very platform on which he stood."

#3-11 Kings 3-When our back is against the wall and we are surrounded by enemies and in need of water to continue to fight, dig our trenches down deep in Him, and He will fill the valley and the trenches with living water and our enemies will see the mark of Christ on us and will turn on themselves and the curse upon us will turn into a blessing and the weapons the enemy used against us, will become a platform for us to stand on, and give us the solid ground on which to fight him. And my favorite verse in this passage? Verse 18a-in regard to the above, "And this is a simple matter in the sight of the LORD."

All three stories have to do with water;
the scent of water,
a stormy sea,
a valley flooded with water that looks like
blood in our enemies eyes.

Breathe in the scent of water in order to grow.
Walk on your storm and keep your eyes on Jesus.
Dig your wells down deep in Him and you will be filled.

And all these things-
the growth, the walking, the filling,
are a simple matter in the sight of God,
and it is Him we are following,
is it not?

This is good news for those who are chopped dead
by life's blows,
and those who are in the midst of life's storms
unsure of whether it is God who is drawing near
or another fearful enemy,
and for those who are in life's drought,
desperate for water.

It is we who are broken.
It is God who provides the scent.
It is God who says, "It is I. Come."
It is God who fills.

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Isaiah says it another way.
(43,44)

"I give waters in the wilderness and rivers in the desert,
To give drink to My people, My chosen.

For I will pour water on him who is thirsty,
and floods upon the dry ground;

I will pour My Spirit on your descendants,
And My blessing on your offspring;

They will spring up among the grass
like willows by the watercourses..."

No comments: