Thursday, February 2, 2012

An article to share

My Uncle Paul sent me an article he wrote that was printed in the Woodcrest Villager. I found it interesting and wanted to share it with you. I also want to document it for my children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A DAY WITH DR MARTIN LUTHER KING


December 3, 1959

As Director of Mennonite Voluntary Service for EMM, I developed programs in Central America to assist small villages in poor, undeveloped areas to start gardens and small agricultural projects to supplement family health in areas that had lost their land to large sugar plantations. We saw large improvements and help in a few years. We also had other service programs in the south of USA. I had a growing vision to use the same methods in poor Black farming communities.


While on an administrative visit to Atlanta, Georgia, I made a visit to Rev. Martin Luther King, Sr. who was pastor of the nearby Ebenezer Baptist Church.
This kind Christian gentleman listened with kind interest and encouraged me in that vision. But he said, “This program has lots of potential, but I feel you should share this vision with my son Martin ( Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr) before proceeding.” He picked up his telephone and called his son. Dr King told him to send me down to Montgomery, Alabama, the next day.


I flew to Montgomery, Alabama, and was warmly welcomed by Rev. King at his office in the Montgomery Baptist Church. I found him to be a warm, caring brother, who spent most of the morning listening and sharing , but finally told me he felt the current situation was too dangerous in the rural areas. It would not be safe for young enthusiastic volunteers, because of the reaction by the white community. As he shared the dangers and unrest, I agreed with his wisdom.

Rev. King told me he was moving the next day to Atlanta to serve as Director of the Southern Christian Leadership Movement for a broader program in the South and to assist his father as pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church. He invited me to go with him to the Farewell program by the Montgomery Improvement Program and community. I was happy to go with him, and was surprised at the large attendance of over 3,000. I felt like a “minority” as maybe being the only white face there.


The many affirmations of Dr. King’s ministry there and the enthusiastic singing made this an unforgettable experience . Dr King spoke with passion on the theme, “We will overcome the white man’s hatred with LOVE.” He challenged the Black community to change anything that is unlovable to being lovable persons. “ Never let any person drag you so low as to make you hate him.”. He concluded his message with, 'I know we will overcome the white man’s hatred with love, because “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord. GLORY, Glory, HALLELUJAH, His truth is marching on.”' Paul G. Landis


(Uncle Paul went on to tell his experiences after the event with a hostile cab driver who wanted nothing to do with my uncle or his money once he found out he had been to the Farewell program for Dr. King.)



This article was reprinted with permission from my Uncle Paul. I hope he soon writes a book about his experiences around the world.

No comments: