Monday, February 20, 2012

Hertzler Doings~Feb. 20-26, 2012

Mon.-Is. 57:15-"For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. "

I think we got 6 inches of snow! Gave Susan a snow day/President' Day/ break from school. She studied for a Science test, cleaned her room, took care of the calves, etc. Philip had an accident on his way home from playing basketball last eve. He hit ice and spun around several times, banging up the bumper of his new car in the process. He called Phil and he went and pulled him out. He parked his car at Calvary since the back roads were too bad. Michael told us today that it took him an hour to get to Lynchburg last eve. and he said it was pretty much a prayer meeting the whole way. Went about 35mph and saw an accident about every mile. Nothing had been done to 460. They cancelled school for today and he could have stayed home instead of going out last eve.

Yesterday, on the way to church, we stopped at Plank's, and pulled up to see Sheriff in his cage. He started sniffing at us through his cage while we were still in the car and then I started talking to him like I did when he was mine and he went crazy. Dave came out and said that I should pet him and Sheriff managed to cover Phil and I with his hair. What a great dog. Bittersweet to see him but I'm happy he's so happy.

Most of the snow has melted except for the snow in the shadow of the porch. Thinking about yesterday's sermon about getting out of the boat to walk towards Jesus.

#625-Thankful for Paul's upbeat email regarding his hand. Has been dismissed to go back to work weeks earlier than the doctor had thought. Paul said that it can only be a miracle. So happy he can fly again.

#626-Susan and Philip's happy chatter as she gives him a back rub. He's stiff from his accident.

Tues.-Is. 44:3-"For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring." Alleluia. Took Susan to co-op and had lunch with Michelle. We are missing our Bantons. Ran some errands and then spent a precious hour at Barnes and Noble sitting at a table where the sun shone in, re-reading the last two chapters of 'A Thousand Gifts' in preparation for KNIT group in the eve. We girls had a blessed time of foot-washing after we discussed chapter 10. I think God is reminding us anew to remember Him in this act of servant hood toward one another. Got home late and was so wired I barely slept.

#627-Time to read in a college town coffee shop.

#628-A spa-like foot washing ceremony complete with foot scrub and lotion, candles, music, the happy chatter of girlfriends in the background, and Danielle's melodic voice praying for me as she rubbed my hurting foot.

#629-A full love language tank from words of affirmation and quality time

#630-Janelle and Micah's opportunity to go away for 2 1/2 weeks-to speak in Fla. and to swim with the dolphins. Buddy's here, keeping Angel company.

Wed.-James 3:17-"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy."

Mom's and More in the morning. Precious time with precious ladies. Susan had lunch with a friend and Dianna and I had lunch at Appleby's. Stopped in to see Missi to give her spoons from the Abbey. Susan and Philip went to CC in the eve.

#631-I love watching the robins grazing for half frozen worms in the early morning.

#632-Answered prayer.

#633-Time for Phil and I to talk.

#634-Wisdom from above.

#635-Judy's phone call-wanting to tell me how she saw what looked like our car in the dark and two people she thought were Phil and I. "Hi Baby Doll!" she said to 'me.' No answer. She yelled it again and Mark B. said,"Who are you calling Baby Doll?" Laughter. She explained how she calls me Baby Doll and I call her Doll Baby. Or vice versa.

Thurs.-Morning wake up song-"This is my rest forever, here will I dwell...For the LORD has chosen Zion, He has desired it for His habitation. I will abundantly bless her provision, And satisfy her poor with bread. I will clothe her priests with salvation. And her saints shall shout aloud for joy..."

Susan got a high A in her final grade for American Lit. We 'studied' Greek culture today by watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Philip showed Susan how to play Rook in prep for an upcoming Rook Tournament. Called Mother. She said that every time she sees my cot in the back room (which is many times a day, she says), she wishes I were there with her. I am horribly homesick for her. How thankful I am to have my mother.


Fri.-Jn. 15:15-"No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known unto you."
Philip pulled a muscle doing a pull up and now his neck is really stiff. Phil, Philip, and Susan took a load of stuff to the auction. The guys and Susan were working at Happy Valley today. Susan also worked on History. Philip's pig keeps us entertained. He's a big tame pig and likes to have his back scratched. He roams freely and comes right up to us. When Philip scratches his back, he looks like he's in heaven. And then he goes down on his front knees and rolls over to his side in complete ecstasy. His legs stick out and Philip then rubs his tummy. The pig thinks this is what Philip's been made for. When Philip stops, he lays there for awhile and then gets up and follows him some more. It's the funniest thing to watch.


636-It was 80 degrees today.


637-High winds and tornado warnings.


638- Big drops of rain and a rainbow.


639-And glory be-spring peepers.


640-Sleepover with KNIT girls. Played Taboo, Imaginiff, Dutch Blitz, and talked into the night. Michelle's new name is Plethor, because she is a plethora of information. (Thanks to Dawn)Teresa's new name is 'Webster' because she is a walking dictionary. Oh-I did my rap for them and Teresa recorded it and is putting it on the KNIT site. It was Mel's birthday and she brought her homemade chocolate peanut butter cheese cake. Four of us stayed the night. Great, great time.


Sat.-Woke up on a sofa three miles away from home. Teresa made Quiche and English muffin toast. Michelle, Danielle, Teresa and I had spent the night. We cleaned up and headed home. I put on my sneakers and threw on my housecoat over my pj's and drove home. Phil and Michael didn't say a word when I walked in the house with pink pj bottoms, blue sneakers and black socks, and a maroon bathrobe. Philip, Susan, Phil, Freeman, and Alli all spent time at the auction today. I picked up Teresa and Naomi and we went to the Women's Prayer Breakfast at New Life. There were at last a hundred women in there. Amanda memorized the book of James and recited chapters one and five for us. A highlight indeed and life changing for her. I found out later that she would take a paragraph at a time and study it for 20-30 min daily, memorizing a chapter a week. Teresa and I went to Walmart afterwards and she battled the Sat. crowd. I came home and cleaned the house and watched part of 'The Christmas Carol' with Michael. Freeman and Alli came in with their auction prizes and we threw some supper together and sat around talking and playing guitar/singing. Michael is taking guitar lessons this semester and is teaching Susan what he knows and Freeman was teaching Michael what he knows. Philip and Susan went to the Lapp's to play Rook. She's spending the night and will go to church with them in the morning. Michael went to spend some time with Chace playing guitar and Phil and I are acting our age and reading and writing and getting to bed in good time because tomorrow we must leave for Harrisonburg by 6:30.


641-Thankful for time to talk with Lindsay today.


642-Thankful for Gil's request for more frequent installments of Hertzler Doings.


643-Thankful for the renewing of old friendships and the making of some new.


644-Thankful for the love, acceptance, and depth of these old and new friends.


645-Thankful that Jesus showed Himself to the disciples in a stormy sea, to the blind, the deaf, the lame, the weak, the weeping Mary at His empty grave, two discouraged men on the way to Emmaus, fearful unbelieving mourning disciples in a secret room. He showed Himself when they least expected Him, when they didn't have time to make a special place for Him, when they were weakest...He showed up. These are the thoughts I woke up to this morning. The manifest presence of God shows up when we are poor. Thank you, holy, present, God.


Sunday-Have had quite a few nights lately where I wake up after several hours of sleep, and I'm travailing over things and praying only God knows what. Sometimes I fall asleep again and when I wake up, it's to a wake up song or a wake up verse or an overpowering thought and God has triumphed with His merciful mercies that are new every morning. This morning and all day long I have heard the song from Sovereign Grace belting out it's triumph-"I will glory!...in my Redeemer!...who with His blood!...He ransomed me!..." Over and over like a new song doing its work. And I am thankful that in the midst of a lot going on, He is All in All. He is My All in All. And the Psalmist's gift this morning was from 118:5,6,17-"I called on the Lord in distress. The LORD answered me and set me in a broad place. The LORD is on my side. I will not fear. What can man do to me? I shall not die but live and declare the works of the LORD."


Phil and I left at 6:30 to go meet Mabe and Naomi at Cracker Barrel in Harrisonburg. We sat and talked from 8:45-11:00 and our waiter said we could stay all day if we wanted to. Took a nap when I got home. Lapp's dropped Susan and Jenny off while they had supper in the neighborhood. Philip and Michael got home around 4:30 after being with friends after church. Michael finished his wash and went back to school. Susan and Jenny took a tour of Happy Valley and our property. We then played a rousing game of Dutch Blitz which I thoroughly lost. They had frozen some chocolate chip cookie dough in little balls and we ate them as we played. They had mixed it up at Jenny's house and didn't have eggs and they actually bake fine that way as well and then you can eat the raw cookie dough without fear of salmonella. They watched Cats and Dogs with Philip until her parents came back.


646-I am thankful that I care about whether I win or not more than I used to.


647-Brotherly sisterly love


648-That God has promised to give wisdom to those who ask and the wisdom He gives is peaceable, full of good fruits and easily entreated. We can ask and not be afraid of the results of the wisdom He gives.

No comments: