Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hertzler Doings~Feb.6-12, 2012

Decided to start printing these as soon as I write them, because while the days await each other in bloggerville, the words drift down, down, down, and it's hard to get them back into a nice order. This doesn't happen if I print them right away. The verses that I share are verses that I read that morning or that I woke up with in my heart.

Mon.-1 Peter 5:7-"Casting all your care on Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) Perhaps that is what happens when we worship. Perhaps this is worship-to trust Him with our cares. Thinking about Joseph today. His brothers threw him into the pit and then sold him into slavery and later he was thrown into prison on a false charge. And God was with Him and eventually, through him, saved the nation where he was held captive and saved the nation that sold him to his distant step-relatives and through the line of the brother who came up with the idea of selling him into slavery, Jesus came, and thus, through Joseph's life, Christ's line was preserved. And what men meant for evil, God meant for good, and if Joseph had not been where he was, we would most likely not be where we are today. Oh, the sovereignty of God, who can make a way for us to be free even in the midst of slavery. Oh that we could and would trust Him and praise Him before we see the end result of His goodness and ways.

Read a gazillion verses on praise, adoration, worship, etc. My heart overflows. Praise Him for His mighty acts. Praise Him for His mighty name. Worship Him for He is holy, just, and true. For praise is beautiful when the upright praise. I think all of these verses on praise and worship should be read and recorded on CD's and dispersed. It would help us love Him more and worship Him more and I think He'd like that.

Did Monday work. Chapel time with Susan is always sweet. I am exercising an hour a day-making it one of my top three priorities. Susan's counsel to me in regards to healthy eating was this today, "Whenever you are tempted to eat something that is bad for you, think, 'Do I want this or do I want to live a long, healthy life and hold my grandchildren?'" That's actually working for me pretty good. I tell her she should become a life coach.

Tues.-Heb. 4:16-"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Happy Birthday, dear Lindsay! I am so thankful you were born!!! Took Susan to homeschool co-op and ran errands. Sent YWtheJ to TN/WRC. Scared Ruth at the bank. I came in the door and ducked down and then popped my head into her teller window. She jumped and gasped. I laughed so hard I almost passed out. Good thing that there were only other workers in there who are used to our shenanigans and no other customers. Helen took Susan to New Life's basketball games in the eve. and I ran over and got to be with the KNIT group. They met a few miles from here in an empty furnished house. KNIT stands for Keeping Neighbors In Touch. They actually cheered when I walked through the door. It's good to be with these Pa. friends, studying Ann's book-"A Thousand Gifts." After we went through the chapter, we planned a girl's night out/sleepover, and ate snacks and laughed and gabbed into the night. The part of me that is still homesick was comforted. I scared the wits out of Angie as we left, howling like a coyote. She thought one was coming at her from around the corner. We are going to read 'What Women Fear' for our next timely book.


615-Today, when I looked at my picture of Jesus, I asked Him, "Bottom line, what do you want from me?" I needed wisdom and help and I'm quite sure He said, "I want to be your friend in the midst of your trouble." And I cried and kissed His face and stopped trying so hard to fix things. Grace words, like life lines, pull me out of darkness into His marvelous light.


Wed.-We count them happy who endure. (James 5:11) I saw the glow of deep pink through my blinds and quickly pulled them up, thinking, "Praising God is like pulling up the blinds in my soul so I can see the glory of God." I turn off my desk lamp and it is dark and I can see His pink splendor more gloriously. A full moon at my back and a new day dawning. God is beautiful and He does all things well.


Went to Mom's and More and got to hold Little Guy for the whole time. He kept me warm and took a nap. Went to Ruby Tuesdays with Michelle, Susan, and Amber. Michelle and I discussed the book, "Jesus+Nothing=Everything" by Tullian. That's his first name. I need to read this book every day. Everyone should have this book. It tells the 'gospel truth.' Ran errands and took Amber to Carleen's work place. She's right at home there and doing a great job.


Alone at home for the first time in ages. Finally getting to catch up on Hertzler Doings.


Thurs.-Phil 1:10-"...that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ..


Thinking about Jesus' prayer for us recorded in John 17...that we would be one as He and the Father are one...brought to complete unity...so that the world might believe God has sent Him...and it is within this unity that God commands a blessing...whether it be in our home, our church...our nation...our hearts, if it is unity that is based on truth; a unity based on Him being in us and us being in Him. We won't ever agree on everything, but we can love one another, as Christ loves us. People will travel miles to see signs and wonders, but sometimes, the people in responsible roles start having issues with each other and lose their unity, and people will go look for God at work elsewhere, because human pride got in the way of portraying the love of Jesus with sincerity and without offense, so that the world might truly know He has been sent to them. The real sign and wonder to the world is unity among believers. And then, watch out for the commanded blessing of God. Sometimes, we can be so right, we're wrong. Honor one another. Serve one another. Do unto others as you would have them do to you, and so fulfill the royal law. Can you imagine what kind of unity would be brought forth if we would follow that Golden Rule?If we wouldn't be so worried about whether we were being honored, but our focus was on honoring and serving one another? Not only would this change our homes, churches, and community; it would change our world. Didn't mean to get so lengthy there. I'm preaching to myself and sometimes it takes awhile for me to get it.


Phil was home today working on blue prints. Freeman was building a large storage shelf in the long barn. Susan and Philip went to pick up a large pig. Some work was done in the barn to get ready to pour concrete. We're hoping to finish building a shop to replace the one that burned down Thanksgiving a year ago. Micah, Serena, and Abbey came for our fourth sleepover. I wrote about it on a separate blog.


Fri.-Slept in today. I took the kiddies home a bit before lunch and got to see Helen. I am not sure if we've seen each other since Christmas which is absolutely ridiculous. When I dropped Micah off, Janelle gifted me with a signed copy of one of Frank Schaeffer's books. He wrote, "To Annette, with love," and then his signature which I couldn't read. She got to hear him speak at Longwood last eve. She said that he redeemed his parents in her eyes. That's always nice to hear. I read some excerpts as she looked over my shoulder and nearly passed out laughing again. What's with that? I don't think this book can be left lying around for the general public around here to pick up. I have it face down on my desk for now. Janelle is always bent on broadening my God box. I am not sure what I am doing to hers. Watched a movie Helen had sent because the girl looked a lot like Susan. I mean, that's why Helen had sent it. I guess that's why we watched it too. Susan made us a lunch of fish and salad that was earth shattering in its goodness and we watched and ate. Then I cleaned the kitchen, vacuumed, washed the floors, and started working on the computer. Mom called and let me know that Enos Shirk passed away. Also, they buried Dave Hanlon today, and I hadn't known he died. His wife, Audrey, is/was my mentor and friend, and when I called her a few weeks ago, it was like no time had passed since we last talked. Her husband had a heart attack a few days later, and then he got pneumonia. What a gracious couple. Dear Audrey. I long to talk with you, but it's your day for family.


616. I'm thankful for the connection with family today, and the reminder to remember the youngest nieces and nephew in my own back yard.


617. I'm thankful for Susan's black and white outfit. She's ready to serve at CC's Valentine Banquet tonight.


Sat.-(Susan spent last night and all day with Jenny L. Had the time of her life.) Thinking about the Oneness of God this morning. James 2:19-"You believe their is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe and tremble." Deut. 6:4-"The LORD our God is one." Jn. 17-"That they may be one even as You and I are one." Ps. 86:11-"Unite my heart (make it one with itself) to fear Your name." Jer. 32:39-"Then I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for the good of them and their children after them." If our loyalties are required to be given to a person then our hearts will be divided. We will love the good in them and despise the not so good. But if our loyalties are given to God, who is all good, our hearts will not be divided within us, and indeed, we will have unity among ourselves, and will have God's grace to give grace even to those with whom our hearts are double-minded. We must shift our focus, therefore, on the oneness of God and not think so much on the dichotomy of others and then we won't be nearly as confused. Having faith to love God with all of our hearts will show itself in the works of loving our neighbor as ourselves. Again, if our loyalties are required to be given to one person or institution, "like me or leave me" kind of loyalty, these kind of loyalties can grow a reluctant and resentful form of idol worship, and there is nothing left but for that idol to fall. God forbid! So let's take the "I" out of our words, works, and worship, and see what is left to stand on. And let our focus be on the one true God who alone can give us a united heart.


Phil and I went to AACC's marriage conference in Lynchburg. There were over 2,000 people there. Saw three other couples we knew. Tim Clinton, The Duggers, Ted Cunningham, and Joe White spoke. We ate a boxed lunch with others there and I bought book on 40 topics for counselling women. I heard a lot of good things and need to think about them for awhile. Cleaned up the house a bit when I got home. Michael and Philip are house-sitting at Rich's tonight. The temperatures dropping and the wind is rising. It's a good night to go to bed early and listen to the sounds of winter's night.


Sun.-Began to read Ps. 105 and came upon verses about Joseph. Verses 17-19 read, "He sent a man before them-Joseph-who was sold as a slave. They hurt his feet with fetters, He was laid in irons. Until the time that his word came to pass, the word of the LORD tested him." The word he was waiting on was the fulfillment of his dreams-the ones about him being promoted and his brothers bowing down to him. And while he waited for his word to come to pass, the word of the LORD tested and strengthened and proved his character. I bet it tested his motives in regards to wanting that dream to be fulfilled. And while he waited, he kept busy, being faithful and true-loved by God and loving him back. He adapted to his environment, but kept to the teachings of his childhood, just as Daniel did during his exile for a lifetime. I was reminded of the verse in Peter that says something like, "After you have suffered awhile, God Himself will strengthen, restore, and stabilize you."


Our family played "Pass around Baby Henry" during worship today. Went out to eat after church with Steve, Dianna, Laurel, Alex, and Henry. Over eight years ago, when we first came to New Life, Steve, Dianna, and Laurel, took us out to eat at the same Chinese restaurant. Laurel had us read our little pieces of paper inside the cookies out loud and add, "In the bathroom." I remember Dianna about fell off her chair laughing and as we left I said, "We're going to be great friends." We did the same thing today and I cannot believe what some people said! Came home. Alli and Freeman came over for a bit. We went back to church in the eve. for a meeting


Thinking also about bullets, seeds, and a critical spirit. A critical spirit can create defensiveness, in a marriage, church, etc. And defensiveness can create a critical spirit. I criticize that which I don't understand and that which feels misunderstood, criticizes me back and round and round we go, shooting bullets of shame and blame instead of planting seeds of grace and forgiveness. (One of the speakers at the marriage conference yesterday said that when a spouse is verbally critical of their spouse, they are actually trying to get that spouse to be close to them again although it usually has the opposite effect.)


Someone needs to step out of the cycle and have salt in themselves and give the salt of grace to the bitter waters and then fruit can grow because the people around will drink from that living water and begin to benefit from the seed of God's Word instead of being wounded by bullets from so called 'friendly fire.'


It will take inhuman strength because it is only natural to defend what is being attacked. Jesus, when He was reviled, reviled not back, but entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. He did not entrust Himself to man because He knew what was in the heart of man.


Therefore, perhaps it is best that we don't assume we are right. If we assume we are right, then we'll assume others are being critical of us when they have a different perspective. Perhaps we should stop trying to control the reactions and behaviors of others, and allow people to think things through in their own timing without coercing them with graceless guilt-inducing words that can only produce the fruit of fight or flight. (Which we then blame them for when they choose one or the other.)


Anytime there is firing between 'us' and 'them', innocent people intercept the bullets and are wounded. People look at one another with suspicion and ask the internal question, "Are you us or are you them?" Time spent shooting robs time spent planting.


Stop! Step out of the downward cyclone, and set yourself and others free. Insecurity begats a critical spirit. A critical spirit begats sarcasm. Sarcasm begats insecurity. And so on and so on. Not every spirit is of God. Sometimes it takes time to discern things. Hesitation does not mean one is being critical. It may mean one is being careful.


And please, God, we need people who won't jump into everything that flows. David Ravenhill wrote a book entitled, "They drank from the river and died in the Wilderness." His premise is this. 'We are to enjoy the river of God and be refreshed in it. (No one likes being pushed into water when you're not sure how to swim. And some may have had a bad experience in another river.(my thoughts)) But we are not made to live in the river. We are to cross over to the other side and go into the Promised Land and fulfill the purposes of God for our lives.'


So give grace. Give a hug and call someone "Sweetie." You'll never know how far that little bit of grace travels. One does not have to 'fight or flight' grace. Grace is like salt in bitter waters. Grace, at the source of the flow, can purify an entire sewer plant. Give a reassuring smile, a thank you, and liberty. Give liberty to others. Don't box them into an only way of expressing their love or need for God. Grace brings unity. And where there is unity, you will have the commanded blessing of God.

No comments: