Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shared Treasure

I bought a book at the thrift store entitled, "Stories for the Heart." It holds 100 stories compiled by Alice Gray. Every writing is very special but there are two that I have returned to again and again. I share them here with you.

Bullets or Seeds-by Richard C. Halverson-
Former Chaplain of the United States Senate

You can offer your ideas as bullets or seeds.
You can shoot them, or sow them;
hit people in the head with them,
or plant them in their hearts.

Ideas used as bullets will kill inspiration
and neutralize motivation.
Used as seeds, they take root,
grow, and become reality
in the life in which they are planted.

The only risk in the seed approach:
Once it grows and becomes part of those
in whom it's planted,
you probably will get no credit for
originating the idea.

But if you're willing to do
without the credit...
you'll reap a rich harvest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And the other story-

'He Listened' by Joseph Bayly~
Written after he laid three of his
sons in the grave.

"I was sitting, torn by grief.
Someone came and talked to me
of God's dealings, of why it happened,
of hope beyond the grave.
He talked constantly, he said things
I knew were true.
I was unmoved except to wish he'd go away.
He finally did.

Another came and sat beside me.
He just sat beside me for an hour and more,
listened when I said something,
answered briefly,
prayed simply, left.
I was moved.
I was comforted.
I hated to see him go."

No comments: