Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday Thessalonian Theology

I have adopted my mother's way of reading the Bible. I read from the old testament, the new testament, and a psalm and proverb most days. But sometimes, I wonder if I am trying to cram in too much. I wonder what would happen if I just read one little chapter or one little verse and thought about it throughout the day. 'More' is not always about quantity. 'More' can be about quality also. The quality of what I absorb is more important than the quantity of what I absorb.

Anyway, today I got caught up in face book and reading my blog to my children and I lost my time for quiet study. I wrote something about Emma last evening which I just love and I keep reading it. So, because I have to go meet a friend in Appomattox for breakfast soon, I had time to only read one little chapter in Thessalonians. I hope I absorb these gems from 11 Thessalonians chapter 3, verses 1,3,5,12, and 16. Think about them with me.

"Pray for us, that the Word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified."

(The Word...running swiftly and glorified...what a great visual..)

"The Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one."

(We waste so much energy trying to establish our ministry, our reputation, etc.
It is His work based on His faithfulness. We shouldn't make it hard for Him, though.)

"May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ."

(God is love. Christ is patient. May our hearts be directed into their love and patience.)

"Work in quietness and eat your own bread."

(Enough said.)

"May the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way.
The Lord be with you all."

(Sounds a bit southern there at the end. ;)

What do these verses say about the Lord?

He answers prayer.
His Word runs.
His Word is glorified.
He is faithful.
He will establish us.
He will guard us from the evil one.
He will direct our hearts into His love and patience.
He will give us peace.
He will be with us.

What do these verses say about us?

We should pray for the bearers of the Word
and for the Word Itself.
We should work in quietness and eat our own food.

That's not such a bad deal, is it.

I want to receive what He gives with such grace.
I want to pray and work quietly and eat.

No comments: