Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Henri's Bread

I found a wonderful devotional book by Henri Nouwen at Goodwill awhile back.
It's entitled 'Bread for the Journey.'

The week of the pig roast, I read something that helped me in the area of hospitality. I love people and I like people, but sometimes, I feel shy.
Usually, when I am in the house getting myself ready at the last minute
to come out and greet people, I panic a little. All of those people descending
on our property, and I love them, but sometimes, I want to run and hide.
Just for a minute. Then I forget about myself and think about them and everything
is okay again.

But this year I didn't get that scared shy feeling.

Maybe because I was kind of ticked off that someone came with three children three hours early and made themselves completely at home in our front yard while I was trying to get a 20 minute nap at my husband's insistence.
And Jesus kept saying to me, "Don't miss me. Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me." But I think I missed Him a little bit. I think I only got partial grace because I insisted on thinking, "Coming three hours early to a party is just not right."

But back to Henri.
His words on hospitality gave me perspective.
Phil loved them too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'True Hospitality'

"Every good relationship between two or more people, whether it is friendship, marriage, or community, creates space where strangers can enter and become friends.

Good relationships are hospitable.

When we enter into a home and feel warmly welcomed, we will soon realize that the love among those who live in that home is what makes that welcome possible.

When there is conflict in the home, the guest is soon forced to choose sides.

"Are you for him or for her?"
"Do you agree with them or with us?"
"Do you like him more than you do me?"

These questions prevent true hospitality-
that is, an opportunity for the stranger to feel safe
and discover his or her own gifts.

Hospitality is more than an expression of love for the guest.

It is also and foremost an expression
of love between the hosts."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His words made me think about our family.
His words made me think about our church.
His words made me think about the Pig Roast.

His words made me think.

No comments: