Monday, June 4, 2012

Hertzler Doings-June 4-11, 2012

Mon.-Good day. Ticker tape-time to read, exercise, work in old house, garden, outside, planted Jasmine plant, cleaned and organized the top of Phil's dresser, made cornmeal in an iron skillet in the oven and Caesar salad for supper.

Tues.-Went to see Dr. F. and was able to be adjusted without getting vertigo. Thank you God! Susan and I made homemade mayonnaise for a 7 layer salad and corn bread with real corn to get ready for supper. She made a big veggie/brown rice stir fry for lunch and wants to make our lunches from now on. Later I put venison steaks in the crockpot with horseradish and mushrooms and other seasonings and made baked cubed potatoes to add to our supper. Took a walk to the river and picked up trash, worked 15 min. in the garden and then the old house. Cleaned another area of our bedroom. Little by little. Met Danielle and Dawn at their parent's house and carpooled to Teresas. One of us (we don't know who) locked Danielle's van with the keys in it and she had to call Triple A to come and fix it. He eventually got there. We studied the book of Galatians and made s'mores over a fire and it began to rain harder and harder and we pretty much got drenched. The best s'more I ever had was made with a Reeses peanut butter cup in place of a chocolate bar. Tonight. Yum. Came home and am running water for a hot bath to warm me up. Guys didn't get home until after 8. Susan packed them a nice lunch for tomorrow from the leftovers. It's fun to cook and bake for them because they are so thankful.

Wed.-Day at home. Cleaned all coolers. Worked on bedroom, garden, and old house. Phil and the boys moved a 6,000 pound slab of marble from the nun's area to another area. Tricky business. Philip's pig had 10 piglets. Two calves dead in field. Coyotes? Heard them calling their troops together last night. Chilling. Makes you sit straight up in bed.

Thurs.-Today's verse-Ps.71:20,21-"You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, shall revive me again, and bring me up again from the depths of the earth. You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side." Had Lucy to vet for booster shots by 8:30 this morning. Went to Krogers while Susan stayed with her. Stopped in to see Alli at Babcock House. Bought some chicken feeders/waterers at Southern States. Came home, did wash, cleaned up kitchen, and went to muscle therapist. He helped me with my shoulder and vertigo. It's amazing. I'm so thankful. It's been done so quickly. Stopped in to see Judy, Josh, and Sammy Jo. Went shopping at Wally World and then to Ruby Tuesdays with C/M then to the movies. Snow White and the Huntsman, I think it was. I had to close my eyes several times and during one scene, I closed my eyes and held my ears shut and hummed a little tune and then M. told me what happened and what didn't happen. I like it better like that. Oh, the ticket lady asked me two questions she didn't ask either of them (C/M). Was I a senior citizen and did I have military background? No, I said, but she, I said, pointing to C., was in the military. She gave me C's dollar back because C. wouldn't take it. I understand the senior citizen question. I am looking quite elderly these days, but the military question? I kind of like that. Came home to Phil's smiling face. That's always nice. Happy Anniversary to Gil and Lindsay.

Fri.-Song of Solomon-"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone, the flowers apear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land." I looked up turtledove in Websters. "..any of several wild doves noted for their plaintive cooing and the devotion that the mates show toward each other." I love that. The time of being devoted to your loved ones has come with singing.
Planted some flowers along our lane and at the mailbox. Cleaned more in our bedroom. Made granola. Alli stopped in for a visit on her way home from work. Susan mowed lawn at Happy Valley. The new mower wouldn't start and she jumped it with her truck. By herself. Buddy is here. We're babysitting him for a few days. Lucy and Buddy enjoy playing together and sleeping side by side. Angel is probably happy for the reprieve. Angel thinks she is too old to obey anymore. She is laying on my flowers under the tree in the front garden. I can't even get mad at her. Not much anyway.
Went to Babcock House in the eve. with some church friends. Had a great time. Wish we had done this more often.

Sat.-Work day on the farm. Finished PRroom in old house. Cleaned bathroom/entryway to boy's room. Made a turkey. Cleaned our house somewhat. Alli and Freeman came over and helped. Susan and Alli trimmed weeping cherry tree. Alli made signs, peeled eggs, and helped clean up branches, etc. Freeman helped Phil move big stuff to proper places. Michael and Philip were busy all day as was Phil. Susan weed whacked so much she got blisters on blisters. Philip worked on coyote solutions. Philip went to Benson grad party late afternoon. We're pooped and ready to go to bed. (Susan and I) It's 7:30. Phil's still out running machinery. Hardly saw him all day. I love getting the farm cleaned up. I wish we could keep it this way. If the guys weren't on the road for 3 hours a day, things would be different I'm sure. We're thankful for the steady job.

Sun.-Read in Isaiah and Ezra about Cyrus, the king of Persia. Isaiah had prophesied about him (chapter 45) 150 years before he came into power. When he was shown the prophecy, his heart was so moved, that he release Israel from its captivity. He gave them back the treasures that Nebuchadnezzar had taken from their temple when he brought them into captivity. My Bible notes say, "This is the only place in the Bible where a Gentile ruler is said to be 'anointed.' God is the power over all powers and he anoints whom he chooses for his special tasks. Cyrus's kingdom spread across 2,000 miles (the largest of any empire then known), including the territories of both the Assyrian and Babylonion empires. Why did God anoint Cyrus? Because God had a special task for him to do for Israel. Cyrus would allow God's city, Jerusalem, to be rebuild, and he would set the exiles free without expecting anything in return. Few kings of Israel or Judah had done as much for God's people as Cyrus would."
I read that this morning and started to blog about it but then everything was erased when I tried to save it. Came to church and our pastor spoke about how God has chosen us and given us a course to follow and the fruit or consequence of following that course will be good. For example, John 15:16-'You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, (the call), that you should go forth and bring forth fruit that will last, (the course), that whatsoever you shall ask the Father in my name, I will give it you.(the consequence) I was reminded of Cyrus during the whole sermon. We, too, are appointed and anointed of God for His work. As we remain in Him and He remains in us, then we will do His will.
Erin W. came back to our house after church. We had a lunch of cold turkey sandwiches and chips and salsa. Jordan W. and Michael were here too. I made caramel corn especially for Erin. She misses the Hertzler Sunday popcorn meals. She stayed until after 10. We had much to talk about. She had a 3 hour drive back home so I made her some coffee and gave her a bag of popcorn to munch on. She has a 1500 page thesis that she must work on for the next several weeks. Meanwhile, Michael and Jordan had gone floating on the river. Philip was with some friends teaching them how to bowhunt stingrays by floating balloons in their lake. Phil took Susan to Stephen's grad party and Michael or Philip brought her home. They came home long after we were in bed. Phil went to pick up Micah at Gridley's and then to Tom's to get his suitcase, etc. He spent the night on a cushy homemade nest on the floor. Went right to sleep. Oh, I forgot to say that Erin enjoyed the dominoe chicken foot game. Phil and I taught her after everyone else was gone. She is so competitive. And she won!

No comments: