Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Humble Compassionate Priesthood

Simply put,
the high priest referred to in the Bible,
was appointed among men to approach God once a year on behalf of his nation.

He entered The Most Holy Place with gifts and sacrifices
in order to pay for the sins of his people.

No man could appoint himself as high priest.
He was chosen from the tribe of Levi
and God chose and called him just as He chose Aaron.

Humility is a brother to compassion.
They are inseparable.

Not only did the high priest offer gifts and sacrifices for 'the people,'
he offered them for himself,
knowing full well he was just as stupid
and susceptible to sin as his fellow man.

I love Hebrews 5:2-
"'The High Priest' can have compassion on those who are ignorant
and going astray,
since he himself is also subject to weakness."

If a leader loses humility and compassion,
he loses the effectiveness of his leadership,
because he is no longer approachable
nor can he approach with kindness
those who are ignorant and going astray,
since he has forgotten that he too is subject to weaknesses.

He may care for his ministry
without humbly caring for those
to whom he is called to serve.

It can happen so quickly.
So subtly.
A making fun of the stupid behavior
of the sheep.
A forming of an 'us' and 'them' mentality.
Political games in a church setting.
Being faithful in what one considers a 'lesser calling'
in order to be considered for a 'higher calling.'
(Which is not the same as faithfully serving in one ministry
and then being called to another ministry with more responsibility.)

Christ became our High Priest.
He did this by becoming one of us.
He humbled Himself and became the Gift and the Sacrifice
to God on behalf of our sin.

He, too, knew weakness,
having been tempted in all points as we are,
yet He knew no sin.

He, therefore, sympathizes with our weakness.

He does not stand outside The Most Holy Place
forbidding us to come in until we have our act together.
His death tore the veil that kept us out
and kept God in.

And now, we may come boldly to that throne of grace,
so we may obtain mercy and find grace
to help us in our time of need. (Heb. 4:14-16)

Jesus, our High Priest.
Humble.
Full of Compassion.
Approachable Helper.

But wait.

Aaron was called and chosen.
Other high priests were called and chosen.
Jesus was called and chosen.

And we have been called and chosen
by God to be a holy priesthood,
to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable
to God through Jesus Christ.

We are now the chosen generation,
the holy nation, the royal priesthood,
His own special people,
that we may proclaim the praises of Him who called us out
of darkness into His marvelous light;
we once were not a people,
but now we are the people of God,
we once did not have mercy
but now we have obtained mercy.
(1 Peter 2)

We are called to the Priesthood.
We ARE the Priesthood.

We are reconciled to God our Father
through the gift and sacrifice
of His Son, Jesus Christ.
And He has given us this ministry
of reconciling man to God.

This is the ministry of the Priesthood.

We, too, were once alienated from God through our thoughts
and deeds, but through Christ's death,
we are now presented to God as holy,
blameless, and beyond reproach in His sight. (Col. 1:22,23)

God was in Christ,
reconciling the world to Himself,
by Jesus Christ.

We must never forget where we came from
and who brought us to where we are now.

We must never forget our weaknesses
and His strengths.

We must never lose the humility and compassion
that comes with this remembering.

Without humility and compassion
others cannot approach us without fear of
rebuke or being made to feel stupid.
Or a bother.
Or that we are so much better than they are.

The bottom line of all ministry is to represent God's heart towards all people.
The bottom line of all parenting is to represent God's heart towards our children.

Is there ever a time that we don't need God's help and grace?
Is there ever a time that we don't need another's help to be closer to God?

God never says, "Shame on you, you stupid imbecile."

He says,
"Come. I'll gladly help you. You're My Child. It is my intent to help you when you're weak. I know how to give grace. I am not tired of you. You are not a bother. I don't expect you to have it all together. I expect you to come."

He says much more than that
but I don't have enough room to write it all.

I bring you to this kind, compassionate, humble, majestic, caring God.
I bring you to His throne of grace, that you might find help in your time of need.

And I bring this gracious, holy, precious, desirable, approachable God to you.
To your world, where you live.
He is with you and will never forsake you.

And daily, I need you to remind me of the same.
Remind me of Reconciliation.
Remind me that the sacrifice has been paid.
Of the gifts that have been given.

Remind me that I am free from shame.
That God redeems my stupidity.

Be my priest.

Show me what God is like.
Show me who He is
and who I am in His light.

Teach me while my heart is tender.
Love me when my heart is hard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Revelation 1:5b-"To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
and has made us kings and priest to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: