Monday, October 1, 2012

Grandma and Grandpa Hertzler's birthday card to Michael

Michael turned 21 this year. Philip turned 24. Phil turned 56.  Michael was born on Phil's 35th birthday.  When I was pregnant with Philip, I was sure he was a girl. Phil knew better. He had seen the sonogram. But I 'didn't want to know' even though he tried to tell me.  So, I was glad when Philip was born but I decided not to predict the sex of the child in my womb from then on.

When I was pregnant with Michael, I would say to Phil, "I don't know whether it's a boy or a girl but I know he/she has red hair and will be born on your birthday." He was born on 9-19-91. My doctor said I should have played the lottery.

Five years earlier, on Phil's 30th birthday, we were celebrating at his parents house. We were having a double party. I think we were having a shower for Linda who would have been pregnant with Karalee.  The phone rang and it was my middle brother. He told me that my oldest brother's wife had been killed by a drunk driver. She was 35. She was beautiful. She taught Junior High kids. Someone is walking around seeing life with her lovely brown eyes.

When Michael was about five, my oldest brother asked me the date of Michael's birth. I said, "September 19th."  He said, "I'm glad something good happened on that day."

My brother remarried a few years later and I have another wonderful sister-in-law who is also a teacher. She teaches high school Math. She's one of my favorite people. I'm thankful.

But this was to be about Michael's birthday card from his Hertzler grandparents, so here goes.

This card has a picture of a dog with its head burrowing into the sand. On the outside it says, "Happy Birthday!" On the inside it says, "Now if I could only remember where I buried your gift!"

Grandma wrote:

Dear Michael,
The beagle on the front reminds me of our beagles we had in the past.  It may only be a "mutt." Whatever, he's searching!! and working.  We are waiting to see you make a flight in our area and are eager to hear of your progress in flying.  Grandpa picked apples at the neighbors tree.  He got bushels of apples.  Today we're going to make them into sauce and a later date he wants to make a big batch of apple butter. We'll cook it the old-fashioned way and have jars of apple butter to share with family and friends.  We wish you a Happy Birthday.
Love, Grandma
"I will not worry about anything, but pray about everything." Phil. 4:6

And Grandpa:

Dear Michael,
I'm glad you have the privilege of studying aviation. That was a dream I had, but as Uncle Jim says, I have a 30's mentality. In the 30's there wasn't money to buy more than food and clothing and the Apostle Paul wrote by inspiration "having therefore food and raiment let us be therewith content". Shakespeare wrote, "Men at some times are masters of their faith.  The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves that we are underlings."  When I was about 18 years I bought a car to be like my peers and had I given myself to the dream of flying, it could have happened. Well, I'm glad you have the privilege.  Whatever we do, let us commit our way to our Lord and endeavor to honor Him and trust Him to lead us into fullness of life and blessing.  Grandma and I asked the Lord if we should buy the farm, and His answer was very clear.  We got awake about 2 AM on Christmas of '64 and to me the room got light and I heard His voice say, "Buy the farm and take up the work your father laid down on the farm, in the community, and in the church." We've tried to do that.  Originally I had planned not to farm but I'm thankful that I did.  God will surely guide you in the important decisions of life if you ask Him.
I'd better go now and help grandma with the apples.
My prayer is that God will guide you in the important decisions which will be before you at this time of your life.
With love, your grandpa Hertzler
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two of Phil's brothers have taken over the farm and Grandpa helps out where he can. They continue to be light and salt in our family, in the community, and in the church.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments: