Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Oct. 15-21, 2012

Mon.-Freezer open. Cooked thawed bear meat and fish. Soup for weekend melted too. Went swimming with Alli and Susan. Overdid it and was so stiff and sore afterwards. Susan picked up some swimming tips quickly. Alli is a good swimmer. Showed her how to do the side stroke and she got it right away. Unpacked after CS weekend. Watched American History AP DVD.

Tues.-Out to Farmville. Used tire replaced at Baileys. Walked into Healthy Living and right away, a man hanging out there, pointed at me and said, "She smiles! What is the secret?" I am sure I looked like a deer in the headlights and and then I said quietly, "God within...I believe." He shouted, "Yes!" and gestured victoriously with his fist. Than I got shy and looked for my things. For some reason, it made me think about Sunday, when I sat down beside Sara. She said, "Mmm...you smell good." I said, "It's Jesus." And then we laughed hysterically. Went to goodwill to get a different outfit for Susan's drama. Some others were there from her homeschool co-op and helped her pick out something that had better work.

Wed.-Finished reading 'The Mermaid Chair' by Sue Monk Kidd early this morning all bundled up with a sweatshirt and sweatpants under my covers. Cup of coffee beside me and socks on my feet and I got comfortable. The book didn't make me exactly comfortable. I cried and cried and loved Phil even more than before. And now I am inspired to write. And paint. I have a date to begin painting. Mid January 2013. After Christmas is boxed away. I can't remember ever being this excited for Christmas. I'd put up decorations right now but Susan won't let me.  Back to the art idea. I am not sure if my art will be good to look at from a human perspective but I am longing for another 'tongue' to express the Allness of God; His beauty and darkness and light.

I've been thinking about extremes. The sadder one has been, the happier happiness is.
The more profound one's happiness; the sadder sadness is. If you trust and are betrayed, that betrayal runs as deep as one's trust. And if you have betrayed someone, the trust bestowed upon you is all the more treasured.  One appreciates wealth more fully if one has been poor. And one feels the pang of poverty more deeply if one has been rich. The darker the room, the more brilliant the light when it appears. The deeper the despair, the more room there is for hope.

Cleaned over at Happy Valley. Phil and crew have been setting trusses. Hard and difficult work.

Thurs.-Spent the day in Lynchburg, mall shopping and Goodwilling. Looking for drama items. The best way to make Susan happy is to surrender the steering wheel to Susan. One of the pigs is having babies. Another pig will be made into sausage on Sat. Molly will be in hog heaven that day.

Fri.-Janelle, Micah, and I left before 9 and headed towards Jamestown. (Susan is home alone taking care of Buddy, studying, cleaning, etc. Alli picked her up at 3 and then they went out to musical dance practice in the eve. ) We enjoyed Jamestown-the museum, shipyard, and fort. Micah was especially interested in the ships, the blacksmith, and the leather maker. We sat in on a lecture in the church. The only thing I remember is the fact that one could be executed if one missed attending church for three Sundays. Not in a row, either. We checked into the Powhatan Time Share resort shortly after 4. Janelle's friend, Faith, had given her a few days of her vacation time. I got the queen size bed. Micah found his TV channel and Janelle and I heated up our suppers. Later we went into the jacuzzi which is an interesting and somewhat dangerous experience with a lively 8 year old diving here and there. Janelle and I watched 2 Monks and we were all in bed by 10:05.

Sat.-Slept straight through until 5:30. Got into the jacuzzi after locking both doors and did my stretches. Janelle and Micah woke up around 7 and we ate breakfast and watched the movie, Yogi Bear. From 10-4, we were at a karate tournament. Micah participated 2 or 3 times. A karate teacher/judge talked to me for awhile. Found out much about his life in a short time. His name was Frank. Bruce Lee, the famous karate guy, got Frank's signature before he himself became famous. Bruce Lee is the one who made karate famous in the 70's. Karate is on the table for the next Olympic Games. Chuck-oh, what's his name-the guy from Walker Texas who does karate....anyway, Frank and him were just talking a few weeks ago.(Chuck Norris!) Frank said he is just an ordinary guy. Frank has 10 children and is married to a woman who is 30 years younger than him. He has four year old twins. He served in the Vietnam War and studied karate in Japan. Anyway, that was interesting. People are people.
We stopped at Martin's on the way back and got microwave popcorn and broccoli salad. Enjoyed the eve. watching a movie and eating popcorn and playing in the jacuzzi. Micah had us close our eyes and try to find his right pinkie toe. That was an experience.

Sun.-Exercised alone in the hot tub again. Leisurely ate breakfast and packed up. Headed towards Williamsburg which is beautiful in the fall. Met a local author who was friends with Martin Luther King Jr. and was employed under GWBush Sr. He championed the 401k's. I bought his book and he signed it. It's quite a story. I think everyone should have a book written about them. The human spirit is amazing. Micah was interested in everything. I developed a loud case of hiccups. I said to Micah, "You're going to have to figure out a good way to scare me." A few seconds later, he began telling me a story about a ghost. He kept on for a good 10 min. or so. After awhile, he asked, "Do you still have your hiccups?"  They were gone! He did a good job scaring me without me even realizing he had a plan. We talked with a re-enactor. He asked Micah if he was apprenticed. No..What skill would you like to learn? He said, "Blacksmith." As we walked away, he said, "I really wanted to say 'Astronaut' but I knew he wouldn't have known what that was." Pretty smart little man. Ate at the Cheese Shop. After we came home, Fitz's dogs were here. I called her and she came over. She got to meet Ollie, who pecked her tires. Her captured dogs began to growl and Angel barked ferociously at them. "Don't mess with my turkey!" said she. Had a nice time catching up with Susan, Philip, and Phil. They butchered yesterday and Mike had two of his friends from Liberty there to help. (The Internet wasn't working all week. It's nice to have it back.)

No comments: