Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Oct.29-Nov.4, 2012

Mon.-Rainy and windy. Guys worked around here. Washed and cleaned in the morning. Alli came over and Susan, Alli, and I watched 'The Bucket List' and  'Sense and Sensibility.' I made some peanut butter cookies. Had toasted cheese and tomato soup for supper. Judy called telling me that she accidentally threw away a vital part of her smile. She found it later.

Tues.-Slept little last night between Sandy's storming and Phil's snoring. Took Susan out to Anatomy class. Met Candi at the Japanese Restaurant by Sun Chase. So thrilled with her happy news. Picked up Susan, went to Bailey's to figure out car lock situation, then to Walmart and the Post Office to mail a package to Makenzie, then to Healthy Living, and then back to the Japanese Restaurant to have supper with Betty and Kelly. Just starting to catch up with Betty and we had to leave for a 6:00 basketball meeting at the school. Came home and put groceries away and then I went down to our KNIT group house and got to hear the last half of Beth Moore's first teaching on James. There are 17 ladies signed up for the class. We are from the neighborhood. Alli was there for the first time. I met Dawn S. We range in ages early 20's to late 50's. We're from a number of different churches. My mother belonged to a neighborhood Bible Study group for over 25 years. They had great times together. I'm thrilled to be part of something that encourages unity across church cultures and unites us in the truth that is ours in Christ. Got to home around 10:30. A lone coyote was howling. It wasn't far away. I started to walk towards it. It had to be just on the other side of the first gate behind the silos. Suddenly I thought again and decided not to face the lone coyote alone.

Wed.-Susan studied muscle names and functions for Anatomy while I went to Lynchburg to the leg doctor, Sam's, Walmart, and Kohls. Came home and canned nuts. Put nuts in glass mason jars. Do not put on lids. Put in oven at 200 degrees for one hour. Take out one or two at a time. Wipe edge of jar with damp cloth and screw on lids. They all sealed. These will keep for years and years. Saw this on homestead survival on face book.
Read that 62 are dead from the hurricane Sandy, and that 6 million are without power. Atlantic City, NYC, have really been hit. We don't get the news but I read about it online. Some people are sarcastically joking about the lack of the storm in these parts and the hype that accompanied the storm. I am thankful that it didn't hit us, but there are those whose lives will be forever changed because of this storm, and I don't think we should make light of it. Many  prepared more than those of us who didn't need it but all of their preparation did them no good and things got way out of their control. Gleaning for the World was at Sam's Club today asking for donations to help those on the east coast. I think they are a good group to give things too. They'll get supplies to where they are needed. As will MCC-relief.
Took Susan to CC for youth group. Was following a car on the way home and then realized it was Janelle. I followed her into her driveway and she had just been trying to call me to see if I wanted to see scary Micah. He was dressed like a bloody person with a knife through his head. I'm not so sure I liked it but I think he liked that it scared me a little bit. Phil picked up Susan for me so I could soak in the tub with a good book.

Thurs.-Profitable day. Got the remaining years schedule written out for Susan day by day week by week all on one paper. Made some vegetables and beans and black bean soup. Need to lose 15 pounds in two weeks! Insurance company is after me! Did wash, exercised, saw Dr. F. Watched two movies with Susan that I can chalk up to Social Studies after she had worked on school for several hours. One movie-'Lost in the Barrens' filmed way up north and the other in Australia.(Captain Johno.) Guys working in Richmond and getting home late. Potato soup is warming on the stove for them.

Fri.-Dragging all day. Doing a serious detox. Eating mostly vegetables and beans. A bit of rice. Rice crackers. Applesauce. A piece of cheese and a few walnuts. Feel shaky and hungry. Headachy. I'm breaking out in hives and my right arm, right leg, and scalp itches. Am quite sure I also need to stay away from corn. I've been wheat free for about 6 weeks and now I'm going deeper. No more raw sugar or sucanat in my coffee. Weaning off of caffeine. Took a walk to the river and thought I lost Ollie to a female turkey. He went right in the river after Angel and enjoyed it so much he started to walk down the edge of the river. I couldn't call him back. Finally, I left and thought I'd walk down the field aways and try to cut him off. But just that quick, he was running beside me. He would run up to be beside Angel and then wait for me to catch up and then run up to be beside Angel and then wait for me. I brought in alot of green tomatoes and most of the red ones. The frost had already hit the plants last night. Also cut most of the lettuce and pulled up more radishes. It's supposed to frost really heavy tonight. I covered the crops in the cold frame with a blanket and the Thai mat. Susan is feeling lousy too. Detoxing. Exercising. Studying British Lit. We made a huge container of applesauce and I baked an applesauce cake from The Mennonite Cookbook that my mother used to make. I served it warm with warm applesauce over it for dessert at suppertime. Alli picked up Susan around 6 and then went to dance practice at New Life. Got the nicest note in my message box from Becky and Mark. Encouraging words. Life giving words.
Meredith came by to pick up the trailer to get more apples tomorrow. She brought me two pints of honey from The Rancks and also some of her own apple cider. She's bringing us more apples, too, as a thank you for using the trailer. I love my nieces and nephews so very much. Listened to a few sermons on-line today and took some notes. Phil's washing his hunting clothes in no-scent detergent to get ready for muzzle loader season tomorrow.
Wendy B. posted on face book that she thought we should post what we like about the candidate we endorse instead of posting negative comments about the one we do not. I posted, "Mitt is so handsome." She haha-ha-ed and said that was not exactly what she had in mind.

Sat.-There was a heavy frost last night and my beautiful flower garden is fried. I brought in green tomatoes yesterday and put them in the back room in a cardboard box to see if they will ripen. Today was a great day. I called Crystal, my best friend from grade school/high school who is a pediatrician with a medical question as a favor for a friend and she had ready professional kind answers. Freeman, Philip, Michael, Susan, and Phil were getting their weapons ready to go muzzle loader deer hunting in the late afternoon/eve. As I write this, they are still all out and it will be dark in half an hour. I tidied the house, washed clothes, made some food, and went to visit Dianna and had a wonderful time with Henry and Isaac, two of the greatest little boys God ever made.

Sun.-Nice morning at home with the family. Got to church a little late. Good service and learned some things about the anointing oil that I'd like to blog about on its own. Came home and had vegetarian chili and watched Monk and visited with Michael before he went back to Liberty. Philip went to Lapps for the eve. Susan took a nap.  Ollie is adorning our hood as I type. Earlier he was pecking at the door and we let him in for awhile. It's not quite 5 and the sun is setting. I'll like getting to bed early and waking up early. Detox Day #4. Third day of hives. Lost 2 pounds only. Staying on this side of hungry. Mind is clear and joints are not as stiff. I have never detoxed this deep before. Missing my wheat and popcorn, especially on a Sunday. But nothing tastes as good as healthy feels and I'm getting there. So, help me God.

No comments: