Monday, February 23, 2015

Hertzler Doings~Feb. 23-March 1, 2015

Mon.-Took my time this morning to do wash, exercise, read, visit with Susan and Michael, and then went out to Farmville for several hours. Haven't been out for over a week due to the weather. Went to the bank, P.O., gas station, Judy's, Sleeping Bee, Tractor Supply, and Walmart. Ruthie is back at work at the bank. Uses a wheel chair and has no cast. Should be able to walk by April 1.  Michael went out to school. Susan had basketball practice and then the gym. The ground is a slushy mess. One must wear rubber boots to navigate around the yard. The temps are dropping this eve. Some schools were cancelled for the day due to ice and the fact that they were calling for more snow last eve. but I didn't see any.

Tues.-Nathan blessed us with his presence today. What a dear little darling. We all love him so much. I did some wash and made a chicken cashew stir fry. Really tired today. Not sleeping well. Someone I know found life too hard and I believe she is now in the arms of God. But how hard for those who loved her. Caught up with Lindsay a little this morning. I sent her a box for her birthday and she should get it by Thursday. Happy Belated Birthday Lindsay Lou!  Talked with Naomi again tonight. One of our friends is dealing with a deep sorrow and we're keeping in touch about that and other things. Michael flew today. Engine Out procedures. The propeller wasn't spinning and he was in the air and took a selfie. Put it on face book. I couldn't watch. Susan had basketball practice. It ran late because they are singing the National Athem for the guys game on Thursday. She is singing some of it by herself. I may have to skip Bible Study Wed. night and go out on Thursday instead.

Wed.-Visited Nathan at his house this morning. He was so tickled. We snuggled and played and when I put on my coat, it really seemed like he tried to take it off. I forgot to say that last week when Nathan was here, I said, "Thank you," to Susan for something and Nathan said, "You're welcome" in his little voice plain as day. I asked Susan if she had said it to sound like him but she hadn't and I really didn't think she had. We tried to set up a similar situation but he didn't bite but we are sure he said "You're welcome." He's been standing for a second or so on his own as well and getting on all fours like he's getting ready to crawl. Right now he does an army crawl and he gets to where he wants to go quite rapidly. I think he's going to be an Olympic swimmer. I worked more in our bedroom cleaning out stuff and also got a pile of clothes ready to go to the consignment shop. Michael went to church. I stayed home because I plan to go out tomorrow eve. and everyone knows that if I get too busy I get unpeaceful. Philip stayed home and we watched a Columbo together and had popcorn. Susan went to the gym and then met Phil for a date at the Babcock House. Her lifting shoes came in the mail and she tried them on and I wouldn't be surprised if she slept with them tonight; she was so happy. I entered a poetry contest today. A children's poem-149 words not counting the 3 word title. $500 first prize plus I get 6 months worth of writer's magazines free for the $15 registration. I couldn't think of a new poem and all of a sudden I thought of the poem I've been singing since Freeman was a baby and that we're singing to Nathan now, having sung it to all his uncles and aunt while they were growing up. I entitled it 'Love Song Lullaby' and it starts out with, "I love you, love you, love you, like a frog loves flies...etc." Three stanzes. Had to erase several 'ands' to bring it back below 150. I hope I win. Please Jesus.

Thurs.-We got at least 4 inches of snow during the night. So wet and beautiful. Phil lost control of his truck and went into a ditch. Someone helped him and Philip get out. Nathan came and brightened our lives while mommy and daddy went grocery shopping. He took a nap with me and it was nice. I cleaned up another corner in our bedroom. Michael, Susan, and Philip played Monopoly Deal in the eve. I made some toasted nut and seed candy with honey and brown sugar and cinnamon. So good.

Fri.-Took some clothes to the consignment shop in Fville and ran some other errands. Made some caramel corn and headed out at 3 in the afternoon with Phil. Headed south. Booked a motel in Florence, NC. Motels full. Had to get a smoking room. Propped the window open with an Aleve bottle. 32 degrees outside. Ate at Cracker Barrel around 9 at night. Headed towards Fl. to visit Logan.

Sat.-Continental Breakfast. Unfriendly travelers. Raining. Lunch at Sonny's BBQ. Stopped in at Fred and Carolyn B's for several hours and had a nice visit with them and some of their friends, Ken and Vanita. Traveled several more hours. Stopped at a motel. Raining. All motels booked. Try 3 exits down they said. Several traffic jams due to accidents. We were one of the three people to get the last three rooms. Ordered in pizza due to all restaurants jammed. Watched part of Oceans 13 and a Ben Stiller movie. Slept well. Woke up at 3:30 and got text about a friend's grandchild having a high fever. Prayed in the middle of the night for my little Logan.

Sun.-Slept in until 7:30 and left hotel around 9. 74 degrees. Overcast. Michael and Susan stayed home from church. Ice expected. One of the accidents on 1-95 was a fatality. On the way to see Punta Gourda we pulled into what we thought was an empty house with acres of orange blossoms. What a heady heavenly fragrance. We connected with our nephew, Logan Hertzler, at Gator Wilderness Camp. He gave us the grand tour and showed us the outdoor buildings where they sleep, cook, craft, study, etc. What a wonderful ministry. He drove us around on a golf cart and stopped to shake down the orange, grapefruit, and kumquat trees. We went out to Punta G. and had sea food. I had the red grouper, sweet potato fries, and salad. Phil and Logan got the tuna. Sushi quality. And it looked completely raw. Watched the beautiful sunset at the bay. Took Logan back to camp and then followed them out to Arcadia. He had booked a motel for us there and paid for it too. "Don't worry about it," said he.  When a chief wants to pay, you let the chief pay. Logan is Chief Logan at camp. I've always wanted to adopt him but he has a perfectly great mother and father already.

No comments: