Thursday, February 25, 2016

Hertzler Doings~Feb. 22-28, 2015

Mon.-Alli took me to the dentist. Had to take the drugs. But they couldn't do the procedure. Slept from 4 in the afternoon until 4 Tuesday morning.

Tues.-At Dianna's most of the day and did a crash course with 6 other women on 'The Emotionally Healthy Woman.' Emotionally exhausting.

Wed..-To escape polyurethane fumes, went to Appomattox and ran errands. Met Janelle for lunch.
Put groceries away and was going over to Alli's when got alarm on phone to take cover immediately. Power went out right before that. We stayed in their basement while it stormed and hailed, etc. Got stuck in mud at Happy Valley when I went to check it before going home. Evergreen, Appomattox, and several areas close by were hit hard by a tornado.

Thurs.-Went over to help Lori K in Evergreen. Damage was so severe. Help came in great numbers. I left around noon because wasn't sure what to do. Visited Mickey and drove around to see damage on this side of 460 a few miles away. Visited Alli and Nathan. Made a carrot cake in eve. Windows are cracked open to help with fumes. I hope I can stay home tomorrow and catch up a little bit and not have to escape my own house. God help those who have no house to leave. Took pictures but don't have the heart to post them.

Fri.-Worked on house all day with windows open to help with fumes. The guys took off work early and helped a neighbor who had tornado chaos on his farm. Phil and I babysat Nathan in the eve. while Freeman and Alli went to a game night and cake walk at church. Nathan fell asleep sweetly in his bed snuggling with me. He wanted me to keep humming until he was asleep.

Sat.-Working on all the shelves, wiping with wet cloth, etc. Putting back some furniture I can move and waiting for Phil to put protectors on bottom of other furniture once he gets back from Dennis who is working on his shoulder and also Philip's overextended finger. Didn't sleep well again. Close my eyes and all I see is Evergreen's devastation. Do you know what sound you hear the day after a tornado? You hear chain saws. People have lost their pets and their purses and their son's ashes. And they have found them again! One man lost his life. One of Susan's friends had to identify him. It was his grandfather. They had been looking for him. He will be buried in the cemetery there at Evergreen with the warzone all around. He is at peace. I think people have lost their trust, too. One hears the wind and it scares her. I remember how long it took me not to be looking for a fire every time our dog barks. Last night she barked and Phil and I both sat up and looked. He got out of bed to check things out. And people have gained strength and resiliency that they did not know that had.
After the tornado left this area it visited my brother, David's area in DE, and then, Lancaster, where my other three siblings reside, was hit with a tornado as well.

Sun.-Good sermon on money. Alli, Freeman, and Nathan came over to work with the bees-they died-and play in the sun. I took Alli and Nathan for a gator ride. He was so excited to be back in our house, he was exploring everywhere. It's been two weeks at least due to the floors being done. It is Jessica's 22nd birthday. Philip had their friends over for homemade pizza. They shot some skeet in the afternoon as well. Beautiful day.

No comments: